Wii is hanging on black screen randomly

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by NosferatuZODD, Mar 16, 2009.

Mar 16, 2009
  1. NosferatuZODD
    OP

Newcomer NosferatuZODD Member

United States
    First off my wii is modded with a wiikey2 and i'm currently using Softmii custom theme with 3.2u. My problems started this evening after work. I logged into the Check Mii Out Channel and it turned off instead. Then 5 min later it did the same thing, then again a few minutes later. It seems to do it randomly but usually after clicking a button and it fades to black and doesn't come back.

I'm not sure if clicking is normal coming from the wii after exiting to wii menu but mine makes little clicks maybe 4 or 5 times right after the main menu loads up. But not every time. Sometimes only once when the greyed out empty channel screens blink on just before the menu loading. Then once more. But other times it clicks more times as if it's looking for something. I'm not even sure what the clicking might be or if it's common across all wii's.

Earlier today I did install and erase several channels and have been trying out shortcut channels for apps residing on my SD card. Perhaps something got messed up during that process as they warn before use. Anyway, I had no issues before installing all the custom channels so I'm thinking that has something to do with it.

If anyone has had similar issues with random shutdowns or knows what might be causing my wii to shut down and knows of a solution, I'm All Ears!

Thanks for your time.

2. jacklaidlaw

Member jacklaidlaw GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I don't know why this would be happening but i would upgrade then downgrade and see if that helps

3. NosferatuZODD
    OP

United States
    thanks for the fast reply.

It just did it again and I noticed it was clicking repeatedly during the black screen while the channel was loading. Then after it finally loaded it stayed on for a few seconds then shut down. Green light still on.

I'll do the upgrade/downgrade as suggested. But one question.

I have the downgrade utility but how do I go about upgrading? I've read not to do it through ninty. So what's the proper way to go about that?

4. jacklaidlaw

Member jacklaidlaw GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    search this forum for "make my wii a virgin"

ps there are serious risks if your wii loses power while up/downgrading so do at your own risk

5. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Is the system randomly turning on and off independant of what you're doing? That is, if you sit still and did nothing would it turn off?

If so.. do NOT try to down or upgrade as your system may turn off and then brick your wii.

If it only happens when loading a channel or game, etc then it is probably fine to try that.

6. NosferatuZODD
    OP

United States
    It has only frozen inside of a channel after it's loaded or during the loading process. I think the menu has frozen once but that was awhile ago before I did any of the upgrades for Softmii.

The one thing that's consistent is the clicking before the freeze.

Edit: I read the entire tutorial and discussion regrading virginizing my wii and I must admit I'm a little nervous to try it just based off of the many conflicting opinions as to the proper way to achieve such result.

In any event I've still got to track down all the required files before I can attempt to upgrade/downgrade.

My suspicion is that while testing wad channels I probably used one for Pal or something. Or would the problems be more severe if I had done so?

I'm noticing my system seems to be good for at least 10 minutes between freezes no matter how many times I exit and re enter channels. But then it eventually starts clicking then freezes a few moments later.

7. NosferatuZODD
    OP

United States
    ok, I've tracked down the systemmenu289.iso but I'm not sure how to use it. Before download it's said to be a .wad but after dl it's an ISO. I burned it with Nero but it immediately freezes my menu when I put it in so I'm not sure how to use it or get the wad.

thanks for your help. Gonna get some sleep and tackle this fresh in the morning where I'm less likely to make a mistake.

8. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    use Trucha Signer or Wiiscrubber to extract the wad. It's in the update partition.

9. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    use Trucha Signer or Wiiscrubber to extract the wad. It's in the update partition.

10. NosferatuZODD
    OP

United States
    Ok, had to keep reading before sleep.

I found Wiiscrubber and generated the key and opened the iso but i'm getting IO errors. Not sure how to use the app but it's not as simple as I had hoped. Hopefully Wiiscrubber is the correct program. I'm using ver 1.4

11. NosferatuZODD
    OP

United States
    Holy Shiite, what a pain in the neck. I got the ISO and i get errors extracting using both Trucha and Wiiscrubber. Trucha says error decrypting image and Wiiscrubber give the IO error. I got the image from a reliable source and people are singing praises of how their wii's have been saved so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I need that frikkin wad!

12. NosferatuZODD
    OP

United States
    omg finally, I had to use version 1 wiiscrubber but i finally saved the wad off the disc. I may just go ahead and finish this now since i'm getting my second wind.

Fingers crossed.

13. NosferatuZODD
    OP

United States
    Hopefully crisis averted. Reinstalled 3.2u with ARC and enabled most of the options in Starfall so hopefully the problem is fixed. Baby steps I didn't want to virginize my Wii if I didn't have to.

The Matrixfinal Theme was the only one that really blew me away.

Aside from the custom themes what other advantages are there to using Softmii?