Wii IOS Questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by shanefromoz, Oct 31, 2008.

Oct 31, 2008

Wii IOS Questions by shanefromoz at 9:10 PM (3,030 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. shanefromoz
    OP

Member shanefromoz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Hi All,

Ok i have a pal wii 3.2e with a wiikey installed and also have the hbc installed to beta 9.
    All is working fine.
    I have read about the wii shop installer and IOS51.
    I have also read about starfall.
    Which should i install and why?
    Will it change the way my wii performs at all?
    Also i have read about ppl getting there wii keys using the xyzzy.dol file and keeping them for future use.
    Does anyone know why i would need these?
    Thanks in advance.

Cheers

2. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you want to buy games off of the Wii Shop Channel, but not update to the newest firmware, then you would need to download the Wii Shop and IOS51 installer, which will allow you to access the Wii Shop again. The signing bug will remain in all previous IOS versions, and if you use tona's version, you can even place it into IOS51.

From what I know of Starfall, it is mainly for imported games, and to skip the update check on discs. If you don't like installing software onto the system, GeckoOS can do many of the same things. However, if you have made any custom banners, the recovery menu that it gives access to can be helpful with a potential banners brick, but make sure the Twilight Hack is on your Wii beforehand. Since your Wii is below 3.3, and modified with a drive chip, you could also create an auto boot disc image in the case of a banner brick.

If you wanted, you could install both of them, as I have not heard of anyone having any issues doing so.

3. shanefromoz
    OP

Member shanefromoz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Thanks g4jek8j54 for the reply.
    So if i install IOS51 + starfall everything should be ok?
    Also what do you mean by "auto boot disc image" and how do i do that?

Cheers

4. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah, the Wii Shop/IOS51 installer will allow you back into the Wii Shop without having to update to the latest firmware, which fixes the signing bug on all IOS versions. Starfall doesn't make the Wii unbrickable, but with the Twilight Hack on the console, it can help to recover against banner bricks, and block updates from games. Also, unless you plan on installing unofficial banners onto your system, you don't really need to worry about banner bricks.

An auto boot disc image means that you burn a disc that automatically boots when the Wii is turned on, and doesn't go through the System Menu. Sorry, but I do not have a modified Wii, and do not remember how to make them.