• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,153
  • Replies 17
D

Deleted User

OP
I own two tv's...
One is a 49" 4K tv and the other is a 29" CRT Sony Trinitron. Both has Composite Video inputs, but my Sony TV has S-Video too.
Now I want to buy 2 cables, one to upgrade the visuals on my Sony TV and the other to hook my Wii to the 4K TV and play at 1080p.
So I'm looking for a bit of help as I don't know which cables to buy.
The options are:
- Wii Component Cable
- Wii S-Video Cable
- Wii2hdmi

Which one would you buy for a 4K TV and which one for the Sony CRT?

Last edited by ,

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I own two tv's...
One is a 49" 4K tv and the other is a 29" CRT Sony Trinitron. Both has Composite Video inputs, but my Sony TV has S-Video too.
Now I want to buy 2 cables, one to upgrade the visuals on my Sony TV and the other to hook my Wii to the 4K TV and play at 1080p.
So I'm looking for a bit of help as I don't know which cables to buy.
The options are:
- Wii Composite Cable
- Wii S-Video Cable
- Wii2hdmi

Which one would you buy for a 4K TV and which one for the Sony CRT?
Wii2hdmi for the 4k tv for convenience and relatively good quality, svideo for the crt.

Reactions: Deleted User

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A quality component cable and upscaler (wii2hdmi is not a quality upscaler, just a stopgap solution if you don't have other free video ports)

If you strictly want to stick to those 3 options, go for a quality S-video cable

D

Deleted User

OP
4K TV has Composite and HDMI ports.
CRT SONY has S-Video, Composite Video and RCA Video.

Why is S-Video better than Composite Video?

D

Deleted User

OP
Wait I got it all confused... by Composite I meant Component Cable.
Both TV's has Component Inputs. So I will re-write my previous question:

Component over S-Video... why would I go with one over the other?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why is S-Video better than Composite Video?
It has the color signal (ie the PAL/SECAM/NTSC-encoded "Pb" and "Pr" of component) on a separate wire, which reduces interference with the black and white composite "Y" signal

Have you ever seen those steganography PC programs that allow you to combine a text file with an uncompressed picture, by storing the bits of the text as small variations of the colors? Well, the above mentioned color standards are the same applied to black and white video (so that a monochrome display is backwards compatible with color video, but at the cost of some interference between luminance and color)

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait I got it all confused... by Composite I meant Component Cable.
Both TV's has Component Inputs. So I will re-write my previous question:

Component over S-Video... why would I go with one over the other?
Yeah, component is better than all else as long as they're high quality.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also, S-video on Wii does not support 480p as far as I know. This is VERY important for your 4K TV since if it gets 480i from S-video it would have to deinterlace it and then upscale, leading to unnecessary lag from when you push buttons on your controller (which for Wii will most likely be wireless unless you have GC ports and only play games that support that...), until the correlating action happens on your screen.

Last edited by Zense,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Component cable is the best cable you can get for the wii, the wii2hdmi is just an analog to digital converter besides i hear a lot of troubles with the sound this device output, now which component cable is the better? Well is this one https://castlemaniagames.com/collec...ii-ypbpr-component-cable-for-the-nintendo-wii
Actually are you sure those are the best cables ? From the description it is pretty clear that they only support Wii in 480i mode and then upscales that. Upscaling 480p would have been the best and I'm sure there are solutions for that. I have no idea why they chose that route though... VC?..

Edit: Scratch that. I'm an idiot.

D

Deleted User

OP
Actually are you sure those are the best cables? From the description it is pretty clear that they only support Wii in 480i mode and then upscales that. Upscaling 480p would have been the best and I'm sure there are solutions for that. I have no idea why they chose that route though... VC?..
Here in Mexico, we don't have a wide variety of brands in stores. You gotta stick with generic brands and that stuff.
I'm not sure if they're the best or if there's better ones out there (in stores in my country)

I suppose I'll have to go to famous gamming stores to check if they have the brands that makes these kind of cables.
And... I guess I'll stick with the "best one" based on price.

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Johnton Im from mexico too, and i can´t find any decent one cable besides the generic gray ones, the good ones are sold on amazon or ebay but if im going to buy them on internet the HD retrovision ones are the better, the quality they do on their products is the best if we are talking about component cables, they are better constructed than even the nintendo brand, they´re a bit expensive i know but at least they are cheaper than buying upscalers.
The site i post have international shipping so i´m just waiting to have the money to buy them.

Last edited by Draxikor,
D

Deleted User

OP
@Johnton Im from mexico too, and i can´t find any decent one cable besides the generic gray ones, the good ones are sold on amazon or ebay but if im going to buy them on internet the HD retrovision ones are the better, the quality they do on their products is the best if we are talking about component cables, they are better constructed than even the nintendo brand, they´re a bit expensive i know but at least they are cheaper than buying upscalers.

Yes, I'm aware that you're from Mexico too, that's why I asked.
I'm not sure if I can buy stuff from the Internet (shipping issues... ya sabes)
So, I guess I'll skip this brand and I'll go for a generic one... maybe even with the Nintendo brand.
Don't know which one I'll find first.

Right now I'm looking for options in Mercado Libre... they seem to be a lot cheaper.
Guess I'll stop by at Game Planet or Plaza de la Tecnologia... who knows... maybe I can find a Component cable in the tianguis near home :P

Reactions: Draxikor

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Johnton The generic one i have i got it from la plaza de la tecnología in Guanajuato isnt bad it cost $150 pesos, but it have some graphics issues here and there, when i can buy the hd retrovision ones i can tell you if their shipping service is good enough.

Last edited by Draxikor,
Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Just went out to McDonalds.