Gaming Wii Hotel Consoles

segashack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was at a thrift store today and they had a Wii with the Wynn Encore Hotel Logo on the side plastic (was not a sticker). I'm kind of kicking myself for not picking this up.

Does anyone have one of these? Do these operate differently than standard Wiis?

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I doubt that these have any kind of special software / firmware, no. It was probably just owned by that hotel before and they've put a sticker on it. Or maybe some random person who has been to that hotel before grabbed a sticker and just put it on his Wii.

Reactions: jeannotte

segashack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt that these have any kind of special software / firmware, no. It was probably just owned by that hotel before and they've put a sticker on it. Or maybe some random person who has been to that hotel before grabbed a sticker and just put it on his Wii.
Went back to the thrift store this afternoon and it was gone.

I did find articles about Mariott and Nintendo working together to have a Wii with disc games available from a menu in hotels (no discs needed). Nothing about Wynn though.

https://purenintendo.com/the-wii-shows-up-in-marriott-renaissance-hotels/

Hopefully if someone does get a hotel unit with installed disc based games they can get it properly backed up/archived.

Last edited by segashack,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting.

I remember the discussions of them in hotels back when that was a thing and it seemed Nintendo's marketing department actually could do good work.

As far as this. I would be surprised if it was some crazy extra hardware* or serious software unexpected twist, much less something particularly useful (how long have we had NAND, SD, disc and USB loading now? Doubt it is going to magic in a network loader). Though having a poke around the code it runs from if such a thing did have a billing/unlock/... feature might be fun.

*though would be cool to see some kind of optical drive emulator or massive NAND with a handful of preinstalled games.

Alternatively this seems to be a very small but prominent chain of hotels (don't know what it would have been back in the day as far as ties to other things) so might have had things in room as a general guest amenity and this is that.

Anyway never heard of someone pulling one apart before to see what goes (and had all sorts of kiosk, random special version for country, devkit, odd failure and such ones be looked at) but could well have missed it.

segashack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting.

I remember the discussions of them in hotels back when that was a thing and it seemed Nintendo's marketing department actually could do good work.

As far as this. I would be surprised if it was some crazy extra hardware* or serious software unexpected twist, much less something particularly useful (how long have we had NAND, SD, disc and USB loading now? Doubt it is going to magic in a network loader). Though having a poke around the code it runs from if such a thing did have a billing/unlock/... feature might be fun.

*though would be cool to see some kind of optical drive emulator or massive NAND with a handful of preinstalled games.

Alternatively this seems to be a very small but prominent chain of hotels (don't know what it would have been back in the day as far as ties to other things) so might have had things in room as a general guest amenity and this is that.

Anyway never heard of someone pulling one apart before to see what goes (and had all sorts of kiosk, random special version for country, devkit, odd failure and such ones be looked at) but could well have missed it.

Well the unit I saw looked exactly like a retail Wii besides the Wynn Encore name and logo on the side and had a disc drive. Serial number started with LU (standard).

The more I think about it, this being an amenity console for certain rooms or for guests to check out is likely correct. It probably is just a very nicely applied decal on the Wii System.

Was looking at the Starlight Wii which is actually a special/ unique hardware setup that also loaded games off of harddrives instead of disc.

My guess is the Mariot Hotel Wiis are probably the same exact type of setup as the Starlight Wiis.

I agree that it would be interesting to see what kind of specialty software is on a hotel wii. I'm amazed none of turned up so far.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo definitely had a diskless game system for Wii. They used it at the Nintendo World Store in NYC during the console's life. I don't know if they had an equivalent (or the same) system for hotels.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Iirc it's called the wii family starlight systems edition, and it included some kind of native ability to launch games without using disks. I know DeadlyFoez has told me about these, and that there was one available long ago at a local hospital, and available upon request and they would bring it to your room. Unfortunately no one in the homebrew scene has ever been able to take a peak at its inner workings (at least AFAIK)

Edit: starlight correction

Last edited by XFlak,

segashack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iirc it's called the wii family edition, and it included some kind of native ability to launch games without using disks. I know DeadlyFoez has told me about these, and that there was one available long ago at a local hospital, and available upon request and they would bring it to your room. Unfortunately no one in the homebrew scene has ever been able to take a peak at its inner workings (at least AFAIK)
The Starlight Systems are the hospital ones I believe. Wii Family edition is the console revision that removed Gamecube Compatibility, unless there is something else with that name.

cubes

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But it doesn't do anything right? I mean it's only a few mb anyways. The archived nand could be of more use

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs