Wii-hacking: Lesson 101 wanted

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jizmo86, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jizmo86
    OP

jizmo86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2007
    United States
    Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and beginning my foray into the world of Wii-Hacking. My desire is to play some commercial ROMs (both PAL and NTSC), have access to virtual console games and maybe try a bit of homebew. My console has the Serial Number: LAH1036XXXXXX.

I was thinking of trying OZmodchips.com for a Wii-Clip with a D2Ckey and installing it at home.

Am I doing the right thing? Anyone had experience with this store? Are there any tips anyone can offer? Any software or other steps I need post purchase?

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong thread, or if there are some noob questions.

Thanks,
    Jizmo

Edit: SN blanked. Thanks for the suggestion.

2. felix123

felix123 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2006
    New Zealand
    You don't need a modchip at all if all you want to do is play ROMs, pirate VC games and do homebrew. Just get a copy of Zelda and a SD card.

3. Joey90

Joey90 Not around any more

Apr 21, 2007
    UK
    OzModChips is a reputable store, you shouldn't have any problems with them.

And for VC/Wiiware/Homebrew you don't even need a chip.

Also, they are usually called ISOs if they are from a disc rather than a cartridge [​IMG]

4. jizmo86
    OP

jizmo86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2007
    United States
    Wow! Thanks for the fast replies.

Will attempt to get the words right next time [​IMG] and will definitely run the homebrew channel. Was actually more concerned as to whether I had chosen the right Chip for my Wii.

5. IOS37

IOS37 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2008
    United States
    I would remove your serial number from your post if I were you.

6. Brainy142

Brainy142 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 9, 2007
    Canada
    Agreed, someone might steal it and claim it's theirs.

7. Joey90

Joey90 Not around any more

Apr 21, 2007
    UK
    What would someone use the serial number for...

I suppose they could try and send it to customer service for repair using that warranty, but that's hardly a major problem, plus I don't think anyone would bother...

Though if you are worried you can remove the last few digits...

Wiitracker says it is most likely to be D2C, 50% chance of cut pins, so a D2Ckey should be fine. - though if you want to be absolutely sure you have to open up your wii to check [​IMG]

8. dinofan01

dinofan01 Misses the old days...

Jul 4, 2008
    United States
  9. jizmo86
    OP

jizmo86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2007
    United States
    Yeah, I did check out Wiitracker for that, but couldn't fathom what "cut pins" were and how they would change the chip installation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice