Wii Hack problem or bad DVD?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TommyEvans, Dec 27, 2011.

Dec 27, 2011
  1. TommyEvans
    OP

Newcomer TommyEvans Newbie

I've got a Wii console that was originally set up for the 4.1u system menu.

My kids got two new DVDs that would not play: Skylanders and Tangled. The error is the Disc Read Error.
    I thought, perhaps, it was a mod problem, so I've spent much of today following steps to update the system menu to 4.3U, as well as the CFG Loader. They still get that error. Running CFG Loader and copying the disc gets VERY slow at a couple of points, and then the image won't run after it's completed.

I'm assuming at this point that it's a bad DVD, but didn't want to spend the $$ on one if it's something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and my kids would be thrilled!)

Thanks!

2. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    very bad idea to update to 4.3u. if you have a nand backup for your 4.1u wii (which you should have) you should immedeatly restore it and re hack your wii. and about the dvd thing. are you using neogamma or the disc channel?

3. TommyEvans
    OP

I'll admit up front that I'm a noob at all this. I installed homebrew and the USB Loader at the beginning of the year, and really haven't thought much of it. I do have some games (Cabella's Big Game Hutner, for one) that used to play fine, but now won't load from the disc, giving a disc error.

So we have these two new games (Disney's Tangled and Skylanders) that wouldn't load from the disc, both giving the disc error. We also got a Disney Universe game that plays fine. Trying to rip Skylander with the USB loader showed alot of errors, and wouldn't play.

I do have a nand backup - one from before I ever hacked the Wii, and the other just before upgrading to 4.3u.

Here's something of a timeline:
    1. Removed any patches
    2. Updated to a partial 4.3 - any attempt to update thru the Wii settings gave me an error (32007, I think). Here's the instructions that I used: http://gwht.wikidot.com/upgrade - I followed Step 1, then under Step 2 "4.2/4.2 Method 2: Dop-Mii"
    3. Tried Disney Tangled again - this time it said an update was required, which I allowed it to do. (That's what the above website said was ok).
    4. After the update, Tangled gave me the disc error again
    5. Updated to the latest USB Loader and loaded Tangled - it took quite a while, and seemed to stall a few times, leaving me to think it may be a bad DVD drive in the unit
    6. Tried running the ripped game, and it went to black screen and then nothing.

I thought I'd try copying the game to the WBFS from my PC (eliminating the Wii DVD from the equation), and seeing if it will play. However, using a standard ISO utility says the disc is blank?

I can roll back to 4.1, but what about the game asking me to upgrade? I presume that there's really no added functionality in 4.3, and that it's merely a trick from N to eliminate the hacking. And the priiloader will catch that, correct? And, if the USB Loader works under 4.3, then what's the harm in keeping the 4.3 system menu? (the loader loads, but I haven't tried running a game that I knew worked before)

Thanks for the help, and I'm sorry to sound so stupid. My brain is hurting from spending hours and hours reading up on this. Most of the guides assume that I know more than I do, and I'm a past software engineer and pretty geeky. ;-)

4. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    rollback to 4.1, rehack your wii and install 4.3 IOS (not the system menu) so you can run latest games. You need to use MauiMod Softmod guide or the modmii, both of them let you install priiloader that can block disc updates.

to install latest 4.3 IOS go download Modmii and from main menu, press "1" then from there, there are lot's of senseless items there, just press "I" and press enter, you will noticed that some of them got asterisk before them. Now press "D" and begin the download, once you downloaded all IOS install it using the recommended wad installer by ModMii (in this case, it's MMM).

5. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    The only difference in 4.2 and 4.3 from 4.1 is that they are only ruining softmods (and removes a few brick recovery options for those who have 4.2/4.3)

Anyway, Its no the end of the world being on 4.3. Its not like your Wii will explode or something :P Its just that if you brick it, you have less options to recover it.
    Im not sure when exactly the patched boot1 was introduced, but as far as Ive understood, once you got that patch you cant get rid of it. Its rather safe to say that you have this patched boot1 now (if you didnt before).

Anyway, maybe Im getting a bit too technical here.
    The fastest and easiest way to get your Wii up to date is simply using ModMii and run the wizard. Tell it your Wii is a virgin and your system menu is 4.3. You can chose to downgrade to 4.1 (or 4.2) in the next step, but I havnt done that myself so I cant vouch for it.
    ModMii will then download all the files you need and generate a guide for you, Follow the guide step-by-step and enjoy your up-to-date Wii.

Edit: Oh yea I forgot, 4.3 (or was it 4.2 even?) region locks the whole system menu. It basically means you cant launch out-of-region game discs from the disc channel and have to use Neogamma or similar (neo is best).

6. TommyEvans
    OP

Any thoughts on the disc error?

I thought I'd rip the disc to WBFS on my PC, but all my research looks like there's no way to do it - apparently, it has to be done on the Wii with the USB loader.

Thanks for the instructions - I'll give it a go tonight.

7. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Unless you got one of those ultra-rare LG DVDs in your PC, you can only rip discs by using the Wii.
    Theres another app that makes 1:1 copies of the discs, which is simply called "CleanRip" :P
    Its an excellent app to rip GC games with, as usb loaders cant do that properly (at least not when I tried).

8. TommyEvans
    OP

Okay - I'll just go ahead and order a replacement drive off of eBay. I've seen the laser on there, but I think the drive swap would be easier to do (albeit a little more $$).

Have a great New Year - and thanks for sharing your expertise!

9. TommyEvans
    OP

Update: I used Modmii (VERY good resource - wish I had this when I first modded my Wii). Got Tangled on .iso then to the WBFS, which loaded and played fine. Obviously, a bad DVD drive, so I ordered a new one off of eBay. Hopefully it will arrive quickly so my 9yo can get some Skylander action going soon!

Thanks again...