Wii 'fun' hacks?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DarkMario616, May 29, 2010.

May 29, 2010

Wii 'fun' hacks? by DarkMario616 at 3:30 AM (1,902 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. DarkMario616
    OP

Member DarkMario616 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't know if anything like this exists for the Wii (yet) but after having a softmodded wii, are there any hacks for the menu (CC or Gamecube navigation etc.) or anything else that's interesting that I 99.9% don't know about?

2. Sanfransexstar

Newcomer Sanfransexstar Member

United States
    I'd like to know as well. Different UI's and themes would be sick

3. Chaos Punk

Member Chaos Punk GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There are different themes for the menu such as color changes and background image (the image displayed where your messages are shown) changing. As far as fuctions, you can change how the menu behaves such as being able to move the disc channel, automatically booting a .dol on the root of the SD card and other litlle hacks like that. I only know of Priiloader and CustomizeMii for that stuff.

4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    ThemeMii is useful for messing with/creating/compiling menu themes. CustomizeMii is useful for creating channels for your homebrew.

As Chaos Punk said, priiloader will let you apply hacks to move the disc channel (among other things, like muting that annoying music), and run homebrew on startup. Priiloader is also decent anti-brick software.

If you decide to mess with of this stuff though be sure to install anti-brick software first. Use Bootmii as boot2 if your wii supports it. If not, use priiloader.

5. DarkMario616
    OP

United States
    I think I have Bootmii already...although I don't know what you mean by boot 2. It just starts up with Bootmii.

Is it safe to use ThemeMii or no? If I just wanted to change the color?

6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    In this case, "boot2" refers to the way bootmii is installed. The choices are either "boot2" or "IOS". The former is the more brick-safe variant...but it can only be installed that way on older wii's.

I haven't used thememii (I bypass the menu completely, so I don't care how it looks). But I'm willing bet that the author himself warns about only using the program if you have brick-protection. And that's for a simple reason: the wii menu doesn't have any safety protection. If you do something wrong, it will just go to a black screen (that's also why installing wad channels is potentially dangerous: the same thing happens if you install a channel that doesn't have the correct size).

To solve it, you need a way to reach the homebrew channel without going through the wii menu first. I think that in this case, bootmii as an IOS in combination with priiloader is enough to get to the solution (priiloader can load before the system menu on any given wii if you hold the reset button while booting the wii). In addition, that your bootmii starts before the system menu itself makes me think it is actually installed as boot2 (not sure, though).

7. Nintendo_Chick

Member Nintendo_Chick GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I do so many people just install things without reading about what it does.

8. DarkMario616
    OP

United States
    I know what it does I just don't know how I installed it. I believe it's Boot2 because my Wii is from 06...and like he said it only works on older models. I can jump right into the homebrew channel if anything so I'm sure it's boot2.

Anyways, info says.

BootMii V1.1 (old?)
    SysMenu: 3.3u boot1b boot2v3

I'm never upgrading to 4.2 or whatever it is because what's the point? If everything already works for me, trying to change something might make something not work...or whatever

9. techboy

United States
    The wii is certainly old enough to use bootmii as boot2. If it appears as the very first thing at turn on, it's installed as boot2.

If you want to use themes, you'll have to upgrade. Most themes nowadays are made for the 4.x menus. Some are be available for 3.2 as well, but none for 3.3 that I'm aware of.

10. DarkMario616
    OP

United States
    Ahhh, themes are only for 4.X eh? Maybe I will upgrade, but I don't think it's worth enough for themes, all games run fine (even SMG2)...and it's just for looks.

11. techboy

United States
    Hacks for moving the disc channel and such also don't seem to exist for 3.3. And you're missing the SD card menu (not like it's actually worth all that much, but...).

You'd be better off running 4.1, and it's an easy upgrade. If done right, it has a very small brick risk, and even then bootmii can unbrick it if need be. There is no real risk to upgrading.

12. fiveighteen

Member fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

United States
    If you make a NAND backup while you're on 3.3U and upgrade, and then suddenly games don't work, etc., you can always just restore your NAND and be back on 3.3U like nothing ever happened. So if you're interested and have some time, it's worth a shot.

13. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    I downgraded to 3.2 (back when you still had to) and have never seen any point in upgrading since. Just keep your IOSes up to date (which they should be if SMG2 runs). The themes can be adapted for any sysmenu version, just with a little more effort. Make your NAND backup in BootMii before you do anything. Make 2 copies of your key file it spits out, it's more important than the NAND backup itself even.

14. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Just to point out, you can already use a Classic Controller to navigate the System Menu AFAIK. The only way to do it with a GC controller is a hardware mod (at least, at the moment). Marcan did this and put a video on youtube if you're interested.

Also, I would advise updating to 4.1, there are NO hacks/patches for 3.3 like the ones described in this thread. The only thing you CAN do is have priiloader load a .DOL on boot and use CustomizeMii to make custom channels. For everything else, you have to be on 3.2 or 4.X. Of these, the best is probably 4.1. There isn't really much difference between it 4.2 tbh though.

15. techboy

United States
    The only differences are that 4.2 uses IOS70, comes with extra anti-piracy/anti-homebrew functions, and bricks region changed Korean consoles if you don't use a hacked IOS70.

As SifJar said, 4.1 is the better choice.