Hacking Wii doesnt recognize my flash drive

dmc99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have been playing monster hunter 3 lately using softchip and a dvd. I wanted to start using a flash drive so I dont have to burn dvds everytime I edit the iso with wiiscrubber. My flash drive is a 8gb sandisk cruzer but when I boot up Uloader it wont even recognize it. I have already used wbfs manager to format it and put the iso on but it still doesnt recognize the flash drive. What should I do here? Thanks

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
is it plugged in the right usb port (the one nearest the edge of the wii)

u could also try formatting it as fat32 and seeing if that makes a difference. U could also try a different usb loader (although I doubt that will make a difference)

but it could just be an incompatible drive

dmc99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep that says its compatible and is confirmed by 13 people. Yes I have tried fat32 and no luck there either. Its a new flash drive so it shouldnt be broken either. I dunno what a cdfs partition is O.o maybe thats my problem?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
have u set the partition as active?

I'll ask again, are u using the right usb port?

hmmm, it could also be a bad usb port (but i doubt it), but u can try saving an external ehmodule to your sd card/hard drive that will allow u to use the other usb port. If u can get another hard drive working with the original port, then obviously its not the port thats the problem (so try that first)

dmc99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know how to set the partition as active. Yes ive tried both ports multiple times. I dont have anything else to test on the usb port of the wii.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
note: before doing any of this, backup the data on your drive (if u haven't already)

right click computer, go to manage, then click disk management (wait, it could take a minute to detect all your drives)

find your drive, from here u can format it, partition it etc. (windows has limitations though, but since ur drive is 8GB u should still be able to format it as fat32 from here).

Check and see if the drive has multiple partitions, if it does, delete them all (right click --> delete), then right click the unallocated space and format it as fat32

try the drive again w/ ur usb loader, if it doesn't work, go back to disk management, right click the partition, and look around for something to set the partition as active... I don't remember what exactly but it should be intuitive (I'm at work right now w/out admin rights, so I can't check and tell u)

dmc99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I formatted to fat32. I see the Make partition as active option when I right click but it is greyed out.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
hmmm, can u make the partition "primary", if u do that, it may allow u to make it active afterwards (not 100% sure on that, but u got nothing to lose)

can u confirm u do not have multiple partitions on the one drive?

edit:

note that easeus partition manager should be able to do everything windows disk management can do and more, a free version is available HERE (so if windows disk management is giving u problems, try easus, usage is very similar to windows, except to u have to click the big "apply" button to actually make any changes, otherwise u are only previewing the changes)

dmc99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The flash drive doesnt seem to be showing up in easeus
blink.gif

dmc99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
easeus pro had the same problem as the regular one. Paragon said it did not find any hard disks where a new volume can be created when I clicked create partition and partition magic is $70.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
i think i'm fresh out of ideas... try restarted your PC and trying windows disk management again... other than that, I don't know how else to set your partition as active. I wonder if linux or a mac may have more luck (not my area of expertise btw)

good luck, sorry i couldn't be more help

dmc99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I found a program called active partition manager and it let me delete the partition, make a new one, and make it active. I did all that and the wii still doesnt recognize my flash drive
cry.gif

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
u have the most recent version of ur USB loader right? Older versions wont support fat32

u have a "wbfs" folder in the root of your drive right?

it could be a bad usb port... try plugging in a keyboard in there and see if it works (since u dont have another hard drive to try)

edit: i'm really running out of ideas... most likely your wii doesn't like your SPECIFIC usb, u should borrow a friends and try theirs

edit2: while the usb loader is scanning for ur device and its counting down from 30, unplug the drive and plug it back in, see if it recognizes it

dmc99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have ulaoder v 3.2 which is probably not the newest. Is the wbfs folder supposed to be on there while its formatted to wbfs or fat32? This is so confusing lol. I had a lot less problems using dvds =/.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
i've never really used uloader, it should work, but for the purposes of getting this working, use configurable usb loader (just because I am familiar with it), download it from HERE

when its formatted to wbfs, u can't put anything on the drive without using a program, so its impossible to have a wbfs folder on there (it only stores wii games). Fat32 is supposed to have a wbfs folder in the root of the device, but even if its missing, it should still load the usb loader (i think)

did u try unplugging and plugging it back in during the countdown?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1