Hardware Wii dissapointments

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For everyone unhappy with the VC selection..it is not to Nintendo's benefit to flood the VC with games right away! The more games they make available, the less money available to be spent on the actual Wii launch titles.

It's purely a financial thing, not a slap in the face.

So you're tellin' me that THESE 14 awesome great games (sarcasm mode off) were worth all the hype and the wait then huh?

Maybe you don't care but this service isn't living up to the hype everyone and Nintendo put behind it. Sure us fans really looking forward to the overall potential were probably disapointed because of the small amount that was released.

But come on, if they release a few hundred over a few month period, it's like I commented on another MB some time ago, with over 3000+ games for all of those systems (5 so far) they won't even be able to release them all in the span of 5 years.

Sure I don't need to play classics like Yo! the Noid, but I would still like to be able to if I wanted to do so. Hell there's not even one Megaman game on there yet for cryin' out loud.

Nintendo let us imagine the possibilities and then (as I said) slapped us (those of us who thought BIG) in the face with the reality that this was an after thought and something nice to have and not something that was integral to their plans and would be what everyone expected.

Especially some of the harder to get SNES, N64 games (other region) that were never released in some territories.

That's why I feel slighted. I do agree that it's a finacial thing, but what they COULD have made financially, compared to what they WILL make because they're not putting their big guns behind this program, well I'm glad I'm not the one shooting myself in the foot over lost profits, because of short sightedness.

In the end it's there loss and all it gives them is ticked off consumers who WERE interested in this concept from the start.

Yes, but it's the consumers who were making the service out to be something that Nintendo didn't announce! What makes you (or anyone else) think that Sin and Punishment (N64) or Super Mario RPG (SNES) or any other rare/hard to find games were going to be released on the VC? Nintendo merely released the same set of games for NES that they released in the Classic NES series and in the e-reader series. The ones that can emulated without any real work or problem on virtually anything. Nintendo is not slapping anyone in the face, it's a case of lofty expectations from the consumer with no facts from the supplier. People want the VC to be something Nintendo is pretty unlikely to ever make it.

As for third party games, unfortunately we suffer from patent protection and intellectual property laws - Nintendo would have to reach an agreement with Capcom to be able to offer Mega Man, or any of their other titles. Nintendo does not own the rights to every game produced for their systems, they simply forced cartridge production to go through them so they could take a royalty fee off of each and every one produced.

If consumers are ticked off, it's their own fault. Nintendo committed to what, 30 new games a month? If you even played through 30 full games in a month, alongside regular Wii releases - you'd probably need something else in your life to occupy your time.
smile.gif
You need to have patience - aside from the financial implications of having too many VC games at launch, there are also bandwidth issues..more games will come as fewer people are trying to download at the same time. It all makes sense if you remove the righteous indignation for a few moments.

Jannibal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm dissapointed about the languague support. in the most cases, DS games have Multi or at least Spanish support, but... in this case Wii Sports not.
My Wii Menu is in spanish... but the games are english... :-(

(why the developers can't always make multilanguages games... is expensive to have translators???)

VC Games... so cool, but needs wii points - money - $$$, etc... (better use a pc and a emu 4 a old-school experience)

Nintendo forgot that not all the people have internet wireless... or internet wired? they will can think in distribuite or download from nintendo.com the upgrades to the console, or have a demo disco with vc games at the launch day...

it's not released in europe yet!!!! ofcourse the games are in english, you imported one! suit yourself!

Mine isn't imported.... buyed in a local big store in Chile. Nintendo sometimes will think on people who lives in USA and don't talk English that all...(and South America)

Well, I'm a swede and I have _NEVER_ seen a Nintendo-game have swedish language support. I've seen coutless games that have support for german, french and spanish, but never ever swedish. And still I've been playing all those games that lacks swedish support. I do not feel that I as a swede have been forgotten, I feel that the german, french and spanish people are getting spoiled, that's all.
So I mean, look at nearly all the DS-games that is released in europe for instance, nearly all of them have 4 lanugage support.
So I can see no reason for you to feel "forgotten" in any way.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm curious as to those who are complaining of lacking features (DVD, HDTV etc..) would have been willing to pay the $100-150 or more extra (and even more cost in games for the HD support) to actually have these features? No doubt if they were there and the console was $400 then these same people would have been complaining about the price instead.... As other people have pointed out, there are two other consoles on the market that already cater for the people who want that type of functionality.

On that note I was surprised that MP3 playback was supported since this would have added (albeit very minor) a small increase in the price. Remember people, MPEG2/4 decoding requires licensing and would add to the cost.

All prices here on are in Australian dollars (I don't know US prices).

Personally I've no major problems with the system. For the cost ($400) I got what I was expecting to get. The VC games are too expensive for my taste ($7.50 for Zelda...no thanks) but I didn't buy a next gen console to play games from 20 years ago either.

For those complaining about the selection for VC, you have to factor in a few items. Firstly is marketing. If you flood the market with releases this causes a vareity of issues including devaluation and confusion. On devaluation, if you have a large number of releases to begin with, all at their current prices, they start to look expensive because the 10-20 awesome games that you want costs $75-150 dollars (at the current NES prices). While that might not be a lot to some people for 10 games, when you factor in that Nintendo (and the relevant parties) have already made their money back and then some on these titles, that isn't really all that attractive any more. On confusion, while us gamers who have been in gaming for 20 years might know all the sweet titles to get, someone who has never played a NES/SNES/N64 before would be lost when they suddenly have 500 titles to choose from straight away. Choices are good in the marketplace, but only when they are easy to make.

Secondly, and more importantly from a consumer point of view, is that all the games need to be tested to make sure they work correctly. If you've ever played with the N64 emulator that was ripped from the Zelda GC disc, you'll realise that this emulator was designed with only 2 games in mind. While a few other games run, it is clear that this emulator is far from a full hardware implementation. Writing emulators, even when you have full documentation of the hardware, is not an easy task. Lots of console developers learn to cheat their way around a system in order to get the most out of it, and all this odd functionality needs to be emulated perfectly for these titles to work. This requires a lot of testing and debugging and to suggest that Nintendo could support all the possible releases for 5-6 different consoles straight away is an insane idea.

I would like to see a few things implemented in the future though. Support for USB or bluetooth keyboards would be a nice addition (and maybe even mouse support). I suppose support for external usb media would also be a nice option instead of an SD card, but I have an SD card so this isn't a big issue for me. While I'm not disappointed that a component cable wasn't included, I don't really want to pay the price they charge for these things. Not that I really notice the difference anyway with the distance I sit away from the TV, might pick up a cheap 3rd party one sometime in the future if I ever get around to it.

I think I've ranted enough for now.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After seeing the Virtual Console list, I was originally bothered by the "poor" selection, but Lukeage and Qrazie are right. Overdoing Virtual Console on launch will just confuse people and see lesser sales for some games on the list than they have now.

I don't know about you guys, but I love Super Mario 64. I felt the DS version was much easier than the N64 game. Anybody remember trying to get the star in the Hazy Maze (level 6) level where you had to climb on the ceiling grating? On N64 it was a nightmare with the analog stick and the fact that you would fall if you touched the edges. In DS, you wouldn't fall at all. I missed that difficulty and yes, even the frustration.

Plus, it has Sim City and F-Zero on it or on the way. I don't have my own Wii yet so I can't say for sure as I do not know.

And last thing to remember. If you don't like the Virtual Console games available, don't buy them.

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
my biggest disappointment in the wii is that...
i don't have it.
frown.gif

Mucuna said:
Heh... here in Brazil it's about 1,200 US dollars. shy.gif

completely true. hooray for import taxes!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, it really sucks, uh buddy?
nyanya.gif

The games' prices are sad too...

Gonna use my sincerity: Wii to me (hehe) just when moded... ee!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Mucuna said:

biggrin.gif

No freaking way the import tax is 480%. It's simply an oligopolistic deal: all Nintendo retailers agreed to keep the prices high, and rob you blind. Instead of having a price-drop-fight, where retailers lose, they have a price-inflating deal amongst themselves, where they win, and the buyers get it in the shorts.

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Mucuna said:

biggrin.gif

No freaking way the import tax is 480%. It's simply an oligopolistic deal: all Nintendo retailers agreed to keep the prices high, and rob you blind. Instead of having a price-drop-fight, where retailers lose, they have a price-inflating deal amongst themselves, where they win, and the buyers get it in the shorts.

Well, the case is that our government sucks when it comes to taxes too.

I belive that video games are conveniently tagged as "toys", not "eletronics", 'cause a the tax to import a toy is 60% (just to enter in the country).
When it goes to the stores, there are a lot of little taxes (direct and indirect taxes) that form a huge amount, plus profits.

And that's what I think about it all:

"WTF!
wacko.gif
No way that I gonna buy it in Brazil! Who do I know that is going to USA...?
dry.gif
"

Anyway, there is always people that pay for it and don't need to even think about price. They have it.

5uck3rpunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enough of the economics chat folks. Lets get back on subject. Everyone has their own opinions & that's cool. I think the Wii rocks. I can't wait for more games like "Wii Sports" (and I hate any real sports but they do this game right). It's a great system at a great price. Thanks Nintendo. You are #1 in my book as you have been for MANY years!

Inu268

woof
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mucuna said:

biggrin.gif

Well, the case is that our government sucks when it comes to taxes too.

I belive that video games are conveniently tagged as "toys", not "eletronics", 'cause a the tax to import a toy is 60% (just to enter in the country).
When it goes to the stores, there are a lot of little taxes (direct and indirect taxes) that form a huge amount, plus profits.

And that's what I think about it all:

"WTF!
wacko.gif
No way that I gonna buy it in Brazil! Who do I know that is going to USA...?
dry.gif
"

Anyway, there is always people that pay for it and don't need to even think about price. They have it.

found it for 1100R$ at são paulo

gixxaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well here goes my two cents. When i first got my Wii i was a little dissapointed by the controls. As i plaed though, i begin to love them. As of now my only complaints are lack of quality launch titles, but this will be solved soon so no real big deal there. Also the wireless network config'ing, also i got solved. So in short i love the system and would never dream of buying anything non nintendo again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: yeehaw