Wii disk drives?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by petethepug, Feb 2, 2017.

1. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I know its a werid question but. I have been seeing a lot of threads, or WTS topics about the Wii disk drive being broken. Is the broken disk drive issue common?

My disk drive works perfectly fine so I was just curious to know if people encounter it due to a bug, or hardware issue with the Wii.

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Optical drives just get out of tolerance or get dirty lenses and eventually die because the laser can't focus on the disc properly.

3. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Oh I see. Should I be worried about the lenses (obviously i should but i mean.) Should I take procrastination to protect it from dust? I have never had any physical damage occur to the system so I don't think I should be to worried about the lenses going out of place.

4. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Do you normally use Discs?

5. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    The most taxing discs are the dual layer games like SSBB and the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

The best thing to do is to avoid using discs entirely, the second best thing is to avoid these dual layer games.

6. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    With slot loading drives the felt slot should help keep out most dust and particles. There's not really much you can do about mechanical devices eventually failing.

7. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I only use discs to play CTGP, or Project M. Other than that I use everything on a HDD digitally.

Also I don't know a lot about how disc drives work so thats why I asked >_>

8. TarkinMX

TarkinMX GBAtemp Regular

Nov 4, 2009
    United States
    You shouldn't worry if you don't use the disc drive on a regular basis and if you're worried about dust getting on the lens then you can buy a CD that's made to clean it or Google how to clean a CD-Rom lens. I think that most of the time people just have dirty lenses and they don't know how to take care of it.

9. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Project M can be loaded using the HDD without issues so you dont need the disc drive neccesaily for that, as fot CTGP im not quite sure, but dont worry, wii drivers are not expensive and easy to replace.

x65943 likes this.