Wii Bricking - How to prevent?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ShinConker, Nov 7, 2008.

Nov 7, 2008
  1. ShinConker
    OP

Newcomer ShinConker Member

Canada
    Hello, I've done some research and I learned that I could brick my Wii if I'm using different region game.. To prevent that I told myself that I won't try to play any imported game.. (I know we can patch our ISO file, but I do not wanna take any chance to brick my Wii [​IMG])

I just wanna know, is there any other tips you can give me? Is this the ONLY way to brick a Wii?
    Considering I will soon crack my Wii with the Twilight Hack and install The Homebrew Chanel, some .wad files and SoftChip Backup Loader (by the way, is it the most recent and compatible ISO loader?) and the dvd player (forgot the homebrew name, sorry!).

Where do I need to be carefull? Considering all the stuff I listed above ; wad, ISO loader, backup games (only for my Wii region)

Can I play Wi-Fi games safety?
    Can I use any Chanel that required internet conection safety? Ex: the Internet Chanel, Nintendo Chanel?
    Should I upgrade my Wii? (I'm using 3.3U firmware)
    When a game need an update when I launch it, can I do it? I read that paper mario caused Wii Brick because of its update.. (considering the fact that it would be an [NTSC] game and I live in Canada?)

Sorry for all theses questions, I just don't wanna be CLEARLY informed about the Wii Brick issues...
    Oh and soon I will buy Guitar Hero World Tour.. It will have a "Shop" inside the game.. Do this shop will be updated with an Wii Update when I launch the game? If yes, considering the fact that it won't be a backup, would I be able to do the update safety?

Again sorry, and thanks to the one with experience who will give me all my answers!
    -ShinConker-

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    No, there are a lot of ways to brick a Wii. The two main bricking causes are Banner-bricking and Update-bricking. Carelessy using WADs from out there could cause a banner-brick. Always use already tested WAD. A banner-brick is when a WAD uses an invalid banner (usually because the WAD's creator did something wrong) and the Wii will usually freeze before going into the System Menu.

Update-bricking could cause you an Half-Brick or a Full-Brick. In the first case, the only thing that wouldn't work would be accessing the Wii's settings. It's fairly easy to repair. In the second case, the Wii will display an error before going in the System Menu.

Yeah, SoftChip seems the best, currently. But WiiGator's 0.3 is the most used.

WiFi: Sure, there are no problem whatsoever.
    Channels: Yeah [​IMG]
    Upgrade: DON'T DO IT. 3.3v2 sucks. Always wait for some updated and certain info from trusted sites like GBAtemp and Wiibrew before upgrading.
    Upgrades on discs: Don't ever do it. Just use GeckoOS to skip them. Seeing you're on 3.3U, you should be fine and won't need any to run a game. BTW, this is the general rule: If a game disc is from your region is ALWAYS safe to update (problems could only happen when using other regions discs), but that still means that you're upgrading [​IMG] I would avoid upgrading in general, by the way. Nintendo just blocked too many things with 3.3v2, and 3.4 will probably block even more things.

Seeing that you'll probably have to access WiiShop (I don't have GH: WT so I dunno), you'll have to install something like this.

Enjoy [​IMG]

3. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    WiFi = Yes

Internet Channels = Yes

Upgrade = No danger in doing so, but Nintendo tries to disable homebrew in updates.

Game Updates = See Upgrade. And if I think right, Canada is also NTSC-U. You can use Starfall to make games not ask for a update.

GH:IV = I don't think the Shop can update the Wii. Even so, it doesn't. (I have the game, and it would be over the forums by now)

4. ShinConker
    OP

Newcomer ShinConker Member

Canada
    Thank you raulpica! I couldn't find a better answer than the one you gave me!
    and thanks for the Guitar Hero info Arm the Homeless!

I just wanted to know one more thing, I read about ISO file and I would like to know the best way to burn them? Should I take them off the internet, or maybe it could be a better idea to go in a videogame shop and pay&borrow some Wii games? After extracting the ISO file from the real disk, do I need to do any patching? (The disk will be for my region!). So can I only extract the ISO and burn it on a DVD-R ? Can you give me any specifications on that?

Thanks again!

5. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Burning an ISO file:
    For Linux:
    Use Brassero or Nero Linux 3 Trial
    For Windows:
    Use ImgBurn

Getting an ISO file:
    Is illegal.

And you don't need to patch. WiiGator's Loader can choose what region to use.
    So somehow obtain an ISO and burn to DVD-R

6. Damian1221

Newcomer Damian1221 Member

United States
    The 2 main ways to brick your wii is by installing an update from another region and installing a wad that has a corrupt banner.

My advice to prevent bricking is use the 3.2 Installer in AnyRegionChanger to put your system menu to 3.2U or 3.2E depending on your region. After that install Starfall hacks to disable disk updating and Region Free. Also install hold Y on GC Controller for Recovery mode and disable Diagnostic disk check. This makes your wii pretty unbrickable as long as you have TP Hack installed since you can just autoboot TP from the Recovery menu so you can run AnyTitleDeleter to delete the channel that has a corrupt banner or AnyRegionChanger to reinstall the system menu.

Also SoftChip doesn't work nearly as well as Wiigator .3b bugfix does if you ask me.

Most Wifi games work through the backup loader but not all I guess, But as far as being safe yeah your fine

Can I use any Chanel that required internet conection safety? Ex: the Internet Chanel, Nintendo Chanel?- Yeah your fine

Should I upgrade my Wii? (I'm using 3.3U firmware)- No like I said download to 3.2U or E with AnyRegion Changer

When a game need an update when I launch it, can I do it? I read that paper mario caused Wii Brick because of its update.. (considering the fact that it would be an [NTSC] game and I live in Canada?)-

Probably want to stay on 3.2U since everything can be done with it that can be done with the new versions+you can still boot trucha signed disk with a modchip and so use starfall to install the disk update disabler. Also any disk booted through the backup loader won't install the update.

As for the GH Shop thing it will work fine without latest update, just be sure to install Tona's IOS51 and Shop Installer to use the shop channel on a version lower than 3.3(v2)

you can get that here
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Shop_and_IOS51_installer

hope this helps