Wii Backup loader Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Snipermaster002, Oct 13, 2008.

Oct 13, 2008
  1. Snipermaster002
    OP

Newcomer Snipermaster002 Member

United States
    I really want to try out the backup loader but im afraid its going to brick my wii. has anyone bricked their wii yet with the loader??? i'm researching and i want to get ur approvals that it doesnt brick your wii thanks. also could someone tell me how to install the wii back up loader channel. thx

2. Mrkinator

Member Mrkinator Neil Peart Wannabe

Canada
    I didn't brick my wii. Just follow the steps and you'll be fine. To install the channel, just use the WAD Manager and that will install it [​IMG] (If you don't know what the wad manager is, go to wiibrew.org and search it there)

3. blueoakleyz

Member blueoakleyz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    In my amateur opinion, bricks seem to happen when consoles are getting updated with new firmware and during the process something happens where the firmware doesn't get installed correctly and you end up with a system with bad firmware. Not likely to happen with the Wii. other reasons possible too though

4. Motoko

Newcomer Motoko Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    don't bother installing anything if your "afraid" of bricking your wii, you'll just make yourself paranoid.

5. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    If you have a Pal Wii and you download an NTSC game and do the update on it you will brick your Wii.
    Installing a badly coded channel will also brick your wii.

Most other things will not brick your wii and if you use tested and confirmed loaders you are pretty safe.

have a read of EVERYTHING here : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=108959

6. Snipermaster002
    OP

United States
    ok can i ask some questions that werent asked in the website you gave me dijtaz? ok so i have a ntsc ver. 3.3 so its ok to install the backup loader right? also the guy says that there are two main reasons the wii bricks. one from being a very bad wad ( how do u get a very badly coded wad) and from using an NTSC update on a Pal Wii or visa versa. if i do a ntsc update on a ntsc consol it wont brick right? it will just make the back up loader stop working? last question is wiigator backup loader better than Waninkokos. thanks

7. Mark McDonut

Member Mark McDonut GBAtemp Fan

United States
    None of us have bricked our wiis installing the backup loader, But I would strongly suggest you stick to homebrew channel loading methods. bad wad files are usually bad on account of improperly set up banner data. When the wii boots up it loads all of the channels on your system menu, If it encounters a problem with any of the channels it halts the boot process and stays in a suspended state (bricked).

When you install a channel onto your wii you're installing right to the wii's internal storage which I try to stay away from (I only have legit wiiware and the homebrew channel as my channels) for two reasons:

When an app is updated I can just copy the new elf file to my sdcard, I don't have to uninstall and reinstall a new channel.

I'm not constantly adding and removing channels from my wii, risking a corrupt wad.

ALWAYS check the forums before updating your console. As of right now there are no updates that block the homebrew channel (only the twilight hack but there's an update to the hack that works around it) and if you're really worried about bricking your wii, the last thing you want to do is install hacked or custom channels, just play it safe and run your apps from the homebrew channel.

Ntsc updates on an Ntsc console should be fine, but like I said, always check forums first before updating. you can;t go back and are more prone to a brick trying to downgrade your wii than if you had just left it alone and done your research beforehand.

Wiigator's backup loader works on my ntsc console, waninkoko's does not. Wiigator's is ntsc and waninkoko's is PAL. Stick with Wiigator's if you're on ntsc.

8. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico

You get a bad wad when you download the wad from a very badly source, like the corner where some people sell drugs or something (lol), and how can your Wii update, when you already have the latest frimware avaible?? but you can also (if you're afraid) wait and see how we get fun runing our backup's (from our original game discs)

at this time WiiGator 0.1 is your best choice, but they both could co-exist in HBC with no arm to your Wii, (if you're not afraid of do it)

9. djtaz

Ireland
    Well Mark covered everything there and covered it very well.

The only thing i can add is if you wait about 30 mins and get the zip file in my signature that pretty much has everything on it and works well. It has been tested by loads on the forums on different versions and locations - I didnt write any of it bar the How To , which i tried to make as simple as possible. Follow the steps exactly and you should have a working setup without bricking. Anything you want to do after that is up to you.

10. Motoko

Newcomer Motoko Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I would add, Waninkoko's was a very early beta app which someone leaked. He later released the source which Wiigator has touched up including adding features of the Gekko. I dont know why people are still using Waninkokos. Just stick to wiigator.

11. Snipermaster002
    OP

United States
    Ok thank you so much for ur guys help i really appricate. i really want to try it out im soo excited but im holding myself back so i wont brick my wii. but thanks to u guys im ready to install it. just two more questions. first i heard that metroid prime 3 doesnt work so for example i want to check for updates to the backup loader or fixes to games where do i go. and for example i have a new game and u know how new games make u install updates. will it do that too if i load the back up. like do i have to install an update if i want to play star wars unleased? O one more thing. is there any thing like playing backups from sd card instead of loading them on a dvd?

12. Rcolon85

Newcomer Rcolon85 Advanced Member

United States
    1. If you Search the forums you will find a wiki for all working games.
    2. If you patch your games with a program called Brick Blocker you wont have to update to play.
    3. No you cannot play backups from sd cards.

EDIT: Look in DJtaz's Signature for the compatibility list

You can google brickblocker and you will most definitely find a download page for it [​IMG]

Its such an easy program to use

13. Snipermaster002
    OP

United States
    ok but i dont know which games to use the pgram brick blocker for. and i only know of a program that patches ur iso so u could play them in the backup loader.

14. djtaz

Ireland
    If you want to be safe , use brickblocker on all games - i only download PAL games as i have a PAL machine - and all my original games are PAL so i stick to that and never use a brickblocker.
    Updates on a game really only brick it if they are from the wrong region - it causes a conflict on the system between the regions and freezes up the wii.

Stick to your region games and your pretty safe.

15. Snipermaster002
    OP

United States
    im srry i'm asking so many questions but i just want to make sure [​IMG] i need the link to brickblocker. also do i patch the iso first? then i use this brickblcoker pgram then i burn? also why arent u using brickblcoker. Also i will follow ur advice for sure to stick to my region.

16. djtaz

Ireland
    I dont use it because i only have Pal games on my Pal wii - the updates wont brick it.
    Its only if i use an NTSC game on a PAL Wii that ill brick it. (again all covered in the questions and answers... seriously read everything and your eyes will be opened.. dont just scan through the questions)

17. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1793

Just use the search feature on gbatemp [​IMG] i think they managed to have all the downloads regarding iso modification on here .

18. Snipermaster002
    OP

United States
    could u just reply please thanks. im srry i know they are palby in the questions but could u asnwer this question. do i still have to use the brick blocker even though im going to donwload games of my own region?? if i do do i patch the iso then use brick blocker or vise versa?

19. Snipermaster002
    OP

United States
    I would like to ask what is bootmii? i heard that it prevents from getting ur wii bricked. should i download that? also u didnt asnwer the question i asked before. thanks