Hardware Wii arcade stick options

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm considering buying an arcade stick for the Wii. My hope is to find a solution compatible with Virtual Console titles and emulators for Neo Geo VC titles and other arcade games through Retroarch / MAME.

Beyond the Wii sticks made by Hori and Madcatz, has anyone used any other alternatives?

I have a NES/SNES mayflash adapter that plugs into the Wii remote. This is how I connect my official NES and SNES controllers, and they work well. I'm wondering if these would also support arcade sticks.

I also have some NES retroport adapters than plug directly into the Gamecube ports.

Basically, I'm looking for two pieces of advice. It would be great if someone has tried the same and can confirm that NES or SNES sticks work through the adapters. I am also interested in knowing whether any NES or SNES sticks are actually worth purchasing or if I should just go with the Wii ones or find a PS/2 stick with yet another adapter.

Evilengine

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
this SNES stick sucks compared to a normal sanwa one or similar:
http://www.syntaxerror.nu/joy022.jpg

I have a Hori Real Arcade Pro 2: Sanwa Addition, best Stick I could want. Works throught an adapter on the Wii. Also a cheaper Wii Fighting Stick from Hori, I payed 10 or 20€ for it. A bit cheaper than the HRAP. I paid 160€ incl shipping for that one. Buttons and stick work as they should and the feeling is similar to a high quality one, just a bit weaker. I would always take a stick that fits easy to as many systems as possible, so PS2 should be the best choice, if you plan on buying some converters for the systems you need.

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like the Hori stick you mentioned is difficult to find, but I have been on the lookout for a Namco PS stick through eBay. Just haven't found one that fits my budget. Thanks for the suggestion.

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For future reference, anyone interested in using an arcade stick with emulators should stay away from the Wii Hori Fighting Stick. Although it works well for Wii and Virtual Console titles, it will not work with nintendont or any other emulator. The stick registers but is unusable due to a stuck input direction.

I guess it's back to the drawing board for me. Good used PS2 sticks seem few and far between. If I can't locate one soon, I'm going to look at the Tekken WiiU stick, which another user has mentioned good things about.

Reactions: 2dere

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing the Judge Dredd arcade game prototype lol I can see why they didn't finish it but at the...