WII ALMOST BRICKED

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Andriko, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2010

WII ALMOST BRICKED by Andriko at 5:00 AM (2,453 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. Andriko
    OP

Newcomer Andriko Member

Canada
    !!!IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ THE STORY SKIP THE NEXT PARAGRAPH!!!

Yea uhh, my smart sister tried to update my wii cause dance dance revolution 3 asked her to...I cleverly avoided that with neogamma, but she didnt so, I was coming back from the washroom, and its updating... DUN DUN DUN. Im like NOOOOOOOOO WTF!!!! and I leap in slow motion to the power cable and yank it out, and my mom is like, wtf...so I explain, I try to go to the system menu, and preloader gives an error, I suspect the system menu doesnt work. Im pretty much ok with that cause I have preloader which allows me to launch games through homebrew channel via neogamma, but I kinda want it back cause i had virtual console stuff in the system menu, i still have the wads on my sd card in case they get erased on installation of new system menu so, the question im asking is, can someone tell me if its possible to re-install the system menu safely?

Ok for those of you who skipped my story on how i got into this mess, that took long to type... well onto the question:
    Is there a safe way to re-install the System Menu? I had 3.2U before it died, so, I'd like to have 3.2U, cause it gave no problems.
    If there's a way, can someone please tell me how to do it? I suspect you use some sort of homebrew installer, so, yah [​IMG]
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING, now help [​IMG]

2. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    You fucking idiot. Never unplug the power when updating.

Just install the NTSC-U System Menu 3.2 wad or use AnyRegion Changer.

3. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States

4. kitt050383

Member kitt050383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    never ever interrupt an update i progress your very lucky you didn't kill and turn it into a little white bricky...

first things first is to see what the update did.. use a titlelister or signchecker to dump a list of what is on your wii to your sd card... being that you can still luckily for you have preloader that i assume you can access hbc...

then well se how people here can help you...

-kitt050383

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    the update process usually goes like this... some IOSes, then forcast/news/mii channel, then the system menu. The thing you must look out for is if you let this install a stub IOS for your current system menu and then stop it before it gets to your system menu. Also pulling the plug while the system menu is installing is not a good idea either.

I expect that you can just install a good IOS30 and your wii will at least start up. Once it starts up, you should use IOS cherker or whatever the kids are using these days. You want a program that will actually load into each of your IOSes and perform some action. This way you will know if you killed one of them.

And, yes, you are a fucking idiot.

6. ciris

Member ciris GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Reading this thread makes me laugh. I want to jump in too and say the synonymous phrase. But Ill be kind and say.

Dont be an idiot.

7. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    EDIT: because the person seem not to understand the problems what he did, I serve no need to help him get his Wii running again.

8. happydance

Member happydance GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    good thing you got preloader if not an act like that will surely brick it.

9. Andriko
    OP

Newcomer Andriko Member

Canada

ROFL YOU IDIOT IF I KEPT UPDATING IT WOULD REMOVE ALL OF MY HOMEBREW AND COMPLETELY BRICK MY WII NO PRELOADER OR ANYTHING

10. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    idiot
    bullshit

a few things
    1) no game with the 4.2 update is known to this date.
    2) even 4.2 can still have homebrew. but not if YOU fucked up by using cioscorp
    3) 4.2 is perfectly safe.
    4) from the looks you have no brain or , which might fit better , have a brain working at -200% (ye, you get stupider by thinking! )

11. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    actually those with cioscorp who've updated to 4.2 via the official update have been able to get the HBC back, it just requires more troubleshooting (ie. use bannerbomb to launch wad manager or dop-ios, then install a non-fakesigned ios, like IOS30 v1040. Then use bannerbomb again to launch the hackmii installer)

anyways, that's besides the point, but I thought i'd mention it

PS. the first guy is a dumbass... you NEVER unplug anything when its updating firmware! Anyways, i guess its better to be lucky then smart, lol!

12. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    ye, but imo thats just retarded!
    and if i where you i'd install ios 61 unpatched or even 61 with 70
    hell, i wouldn't use cioscorp in the first place...

13. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    My question to you.

Would you rather have homebrew get wiped out (most of the time you can fix this), or a system that's completely inoperable...that won't even boot up at all?

14. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    be careful with giving that kind of advice. Newer wii's will brick if they try to downgrade like that.

15. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    If hes using Neogamma then its safe to assume hes not installed CIOSCORP. Actually I take that back, this guy is the kind of idiot who would probably install CIOSCORP then continue to use Neogamma.

Anywho, seeing as this kid is a dipshit I refuse to provide any useful information, because its obviously he hasnt done any research himself. I.e. You can give a man a fish....

16. Andriko
    OP

Newcomer Andriko Member

Canada
    I've not looked at the above posts yet, this is just more info, the error message that happens is when I'm in prelaoder and launch the system menu, it doesnt go to a black screen, it stays in Preloader and says:
    Error autobooting System Menu!
    Could not open boot file!

Also, I've downloaded Nus downloader and have downloaded the wad for System menu 3.2U (which was the one that I had)

---posts merged---

Wow guys, if you haven't noticed, it requires less steps to install a system menu wad then to completely reinstall homebrew and hacks and stuff...I pulled the power cord cause I knew I had preloader, im not a fucking dumbass, how do you think I hacked my wii, I did research guy with weird chewbacca icon. And sometimes, kinda rare though, people can't install homebrew back without a modchip iff they upgraded to 4.2U

17. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Preloader wouldn't have helped you in any way if it had started installing the system menu. Preloader is wiped by installing a new system menu, so if the update had gotten past that point, by pulling the plug you would have no preloader, no system menu, and a big white brick. You are a moron for pulling the plug and only pure luck saved your Wii from full bricking. Letting the update complete would have made it a lot easier to recover. Use simplistic mod guide to restore home brew and cios. Would have been easy and you would have been on 4.2. You have no idea what you are talking about when you say sometimes people can't install home brew back on 4.2. You always can. There is just a couple more steps if you were using cioscorp. There is zero reason to stay on 3.2 anymore.

If you are so smart and researched everything about preloader, then why didn't you have the 'block system updates' hack enabled? Yes, you are a dumbass.

I'll take pity on you though because you are a canadian, even if you are a stupid one. Follow the simplistic mod, starting at 'Updating Your Wii', and you should be able to fix things and have a properly updated Wii in the end.

18. chA1nBull3t

Member chA1nBull3t GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wow. Rage more. You're the one who's an idiot. If you don't know the safe measures in working with homebrew, don't even bother using it..

19. crwys

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Lol wow you fail, and this comment is toward the rage man... Strange no one has posted this yet:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l79/JeepJeep8/facepalm.jpg

20. Andriko
    OP

Newcomer Andriko Member

Canada
    Retrievil you actually sound like you know what you're doing, is this guide on hacking and updating to 4.2 on http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901 gonna fix my system menu?

Some guy said to check the ioss that are on my wii, can you give me a specific program?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.