Wii 2 wont have a HDD

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by MakiManPR, May 3, 2011.

May 3, 2011

Wii 2 wont have a HDD by MakiManPR at 9:32 PM (4,107 Views / 0 Likes) 58 replies

1. MakiManPR
    OP

Banned MakiManPR Banned

Puerto Rico
    Yeah you read right. Apparently someone has told Online Gaming Web-Site Kotaku that Nintendo's Project Cafe wont come equipped with a Hard Drive but instead will come with 8GB flash memory build in. This is still a rumor but sources close to Kotaku also claim indeed Nintendo's next console will use 8GB onboard flash memory instead an HDD like the PS3 and XBOX 360.

The console, codenamed Project Café, will include 8 gigabytes of on-board flash-based memory, presumably for game storage. That quantity, while nearly 16 times the storage capacity of the Wii, is smaller than the 20GB of room available in the original, optional hard drives offered in 2005 for the Xbox 360. The amount of memory in the new Nintendo console would also be dwarfed by the 250 GB drives offered in current, high-end versions of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

While my sources have not specified how Nintendo plans to allow owners of its console to use the machine’s memory, 8GB would seem to provide ample room for downloadble retro games, a service Nintendo has already supported on the Wii. The increased capacity, compared to the Wii, would also allow games on the new Nintendo platform to be patched and updated, though downloadable expansions, such as 650 MB Call of Duty map packs would quickly stuff the machine. The system will also support saving to SD cards.

By offering 8GB of storage, Nintendo would not be able to offer full-sized new games for download, a practice that has been promoted on the Xbox 360 and, to a lesser extent, the PlayStation 3, in recent years. It would also be unlikely to store downloaded feature films without additional, user-supplied storage.

- Kotaku

Source

Flash memory is faster (write/read) than a traditional HDD but 8GB is not enough for all those DLC and games, CoD Map Packs alone are 600+ MBs so if Nintendo really want those third party companies back they need to expand that flash memory, they need at least 50GB.

Discuss

2. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I'm still not sure how such huge amounts of info got leaked and who is the person leaking it. I'd take all of these rumors with a grain bag of salt.

3. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Assuming it's true, and that's obviously a big assumption at this point, they could be thinking "oh we'll have an SD card slot, just copy your stuff to your own cards if you need more than 8GB." Though knowing them stuff won't run directly off cards and need to be transferred into internal first.

Another option would be to go the route MS eventually took and allow USB storage.

4. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    god damn it why do they insist of always using flash mem it's not big enough plus it eventually gets corrupted like the 20+ bad blocks i have on my wii!!

5. Dr.Wufu

Newcomer Dr.Wufu Member

United States
    The original xbx had 8GB so we cant complain
    -if it was 2001 anyway,lol

6. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Terrible move if this is true. They need to have a damn hard drive!

7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's always good to know Nintendo is a step behind. [​IMG]

Seriously, they need to start keeping up with the times. The PSP Go has more internal storage for fuck's sake.

As for the 25GB discs, (also part of this rumor), that's cool. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Microsoft beat this next generation too (and dual layered Blurays are already like 50GB or something).

8. fishykipper

Member fishykipper pkmn breeder

United Kingdom
    nintendo you make my cry.
    8gb is terrible :-(
    Surely 250gb minimum? to be on top of todays standards.

edit: didn't the 3ds come with a 2gb card? and thats a low rez handheld.

9. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    If they don't offer HD's they'll probably allow play from SD card. They way they see it SD cards are really cheap now I can get a 32GB one for around 25 dollars . Remember Nintendo is more creativity then following others which could be a reason why they don't have HD's [​IMG]

10. Guild McCommunist

United States
    It's great to know that my storage size is maxed out at a combined total of 40GB when my current Xbox 360 hard drive can rock more than 6x that much.

EDIT: Actually I think the max is 64GB so it'd be like 72GB combined total. But 64GB SD cards are pretty pricey.

It's not Nintendo being creative, it's Nintendo making shitty choices.

11. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    It's actually not that bad of an idea if we have to use SD cards. If you look at the PS3 and Xbox 360 sure they have large HDD of around 250GB or in the PS3's case 500GB+ if you swap it, but once they're filled up that's that unless you want to delete files you have saved. You can easily buy as many SD cards as you want and swap them in literally seconds it's not much of an inconvenience at all. Also you can easily swap files from the new console and the 3DS with the same SD card.

12. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Or you can just easily do the same exact thing with hard drives, and the odds of filling one of those hard drives is not very high. In the end you'll be spending more money on SD cards and be digging through more piles of SD cards than you can count. I can just buy a 250GB hard drive and, odds are, never need another one.

13. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    lol dont try to justify this. having a bunch of sd cards and remembering whats on what is not a good solution, a good solultion is a good sized hard drive.

14. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So, basically, Nintendo does exactly what Nintendo would do...Think they are one step forward, but actually taking two steps back.

15. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    My guess is they will allow external peripherals such as hard drives via USB, so stop freaking out. (Even better: wait until E3 and then, if they do something you don't like, then freak out--no sense in getting worked up over something we know nothing about, short a series of source-less rumors, and from Kotaku no less.)

16. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Terrible move if it's true. I'm not gonna be all "What the fuck is wrong with Nintendo!?" or anything since it's a rumor, but I definitely feel a bit unnerved about it now.

17. Jehuty25

Member Jehuty25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Same could be said about buying a crapload of dvds and burning your data to those instead of getting external hard drives or a bigger internal. Just as how one could see the inconvenience in getting so many dvds, one could see the inconvenience of getting so many sd cards.

18. SinHarvest24

Member SinHarvest24 Shiroyasha

Trinidad and Tobago
    This is ridiculous.....

19. Necron

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    Let's be more creative and use floppy disks!!! No actual gen console has done it!!!
    Yeah, right [​IMG]

On topic: Very bad move, if its true, but probably Nintendo wants to give less chances to find some kind of exploit or make you spend more money on pheripherals if you find something.

20. chop

Member chop GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Just as long as they remember to put some USB ports round the back [​IMG]