Misc Wifi vs. Wired Network

Sukodin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but I cannot find it...

I am getting around 450-480 on my wireless network when I dump a game.. I was wondering if the speed is faster with a wired connection. I already have a hub and network cable run to that area of the house (for Tivo and Xbox 360) but dont have a usb wired connector for the wii so i have been using the wifi..

Anyway, the question is, will my speed increase dramatically if I switch to a wired connection? Is there any change at all?

Thanks for the help!

jaynecobb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
overall that speed isn't so bad.

i was running 200-300 on my wifi before i changed to a "wired" (datel usb extension to a home plug extender) connection. now i am going about 450-550.

however i have since dropped the wifi dump and have gone to megaupload.com and rapidshare.com for all my iso's.

i can get a game in about 35-45 minutes this way.

much better in my opinion.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get the best results if my Wii is connected by wifi and my computer is connected by ethernet cable, but horrible speeds if they're both on wifi.

K

Kurisuellegarden

Wired allows a great, uninterrupted speed while WiFi, it has to send and receive through the air. o_o Who knows how much interference and OTHER computers are on it.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I get around 485KB/Sec on wired, and a bit less with wireless (plus dropouts because my wireless is bad).

It sound like your wireless is decent so It wouldn't give you much benefit in a wired connection.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch