Hardware Wifi IC Firmware?

Mr. Sparkle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I have a technical question for the group.

I run a small repair service in the US repairing video game consoles and household electronics. I recently reballed a WiFi IC on a patched switch that was stuck at the boot logo. The reball was a success (I also had to replace the LCD screen FPC while I was at it) and the console booted once the chip was reinstalled and wifi worked. After a few days of testing the chip has failed again and I am thinking the chip is faulty.

I have heard reports from other technicians that despite the fact that new chips are available from the manufacturer, the new chips do not work when installed on a switch. The theory is that there is a firmware that needs to be written to the chip in order for the chip to function with the switch. Only pulled chips from scrap boards have worked to repair a bad wifi IC.

No one that I have communicated with about this issue has any knowledge of how to write firmware to the chip or dump firmware from the chip.

My question for this group is this: is there a means today to dump existing firmware from the wifi IC using homebrew or some sort of USB connection to a PC? And if so, would there be a means to flash new chips using a PC or hacked switch?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users