ROM Hack WIFI HACK?

quikshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, i'll apologize before hand. Lol I don't know much about the nds hacks so i have a lot of questions. Most i figure out by myself, but others i just have to ask here. This time I have a question about the NDS WiFi. Is it possible to download a hacked APP to go WiFi without having to buy anything? Would it connect wirelessly so i could play my nds roms online?

Thanks,

Quikshadow

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
quikshadow said:
Alright, i'll apologize before hand. Lol I don't know much about the nds hacks so i have a lot of questions. Most i figure out by myself, but others i just have to ask here. This time I have a question about the NDS WiFi. Is it possible to download a hacked APP to go WiFi without having to buy anything? Would it connect wirelessly so i could play my nds roms online?

Thanks,

Quikshadow
You should look up how wireless works. It would answer your question.
So long as you're in range of a wireless device, you can have access to it provided you have the password (if there is one set up).
There are 4 common types of Wireless signals: WEP / WEP2 / WPA / WPA2 each increasingly difficult to 'crack'.
The Nintendo DS can only use WEP, so the other 3 signals are useless.
If you can find an open WEP access point in your area, you could connect and use your DS.
If you have a protected WEP access point, you could 'crack' its security, but that's probably not legal.
If you cannot find any wireless signals near you, you will need either a Wireless Router or a Wireless Card/USB stick that supports AP-Mode (Access Point Mode).

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
quikshadow said:
Mk. But what APP would i download to find the WEP access point?
There isn't an app.
The Nintendo DS has a wireless adapter built in as well as its own connection software.
Also, games that support WiFi will have configuration menus.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wifi cards/usb sticks won't work for the DS unless it has a true "AP-mode"
most wifi receivers for a PC only support ad-hoc access points which don't work for a DS.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thedicemaster said:
wifi cards/usb sticks won't work for the DS unless it has a true "AP-mode"
most wifi receivers for a PC only support ad-hoc access points which don't work for a DS.
Thanks. That's what I meant but couldn't recall the proper term... figures it's something so simple and descriptive
tongue.gif

quikshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah alright. Where would be a place i could buy this? I mean I've seen the wireless usb stick what works with the ds and the wii. And since i have both, ive looked all over. Seems now it's not sold in stores anymore : (. Would you recommend me buying online?

EDIT: One more question. Do I HAVE to buy the usb stick?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
quikshadow said:
Ah alright. Where would be a place i could buy this? I mean I've seen the wireless usb stick what works with the ds and the wii. And since i have both, ive looked all over. Seems now it's not sold in stores anymore : (. Would you recommend me buying online?
Unfortunately it seems that Nintendo has discontinued their WiFi USB sticks, which is a shame because they were cheap ($35) and easy to use.
If you're going to spend money, I'd suggest getting a Wireless Router rather than a USB stick.
As thedicemaster said, most USB Sticks will not support AP Mode, and typically the ones that do will cost you ~$50 or more.
For that price, you can get a decent Wireless router. I recently bought a NETGEAR WGT624 for $50 at BestBuy and I'm very happy with it.
I would suggest going with Linksys as they have always been a good company in my opinion, but NETGEAR hasn't disappointed.

If you're looking for a place to buy online, I'd suggest Newegg.com. They have relatively good overall prices (price + shipping) and are pretty good about getting your stuff sent out fast.

To the best of my knowledge, accessing an unsecured Access Point is not illegal in the US... though I don't think you'll hear anyone say 'Sure go for it!'. It's sort of a gray area. It's the responsibility of the person who owns the Access Point to secure it.

quikshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
quikshadow said:
Unfortunately it seems that Nintendo has discontinued their WiFi USB sticks, which is a shame because they were cheap ($35) and easy to use.
If you're going to spend money, I'd suggest getting a Wireless Router rather than a USB stick.
As thedicemaster said, most USB Sticks will not support AP Mode, and typically the ones that do will cost you ~$50 or more.
For that price, you can get a decent Wireless router. I recently bought a NETGEAR WGT624 for $50 at BestBuy and I'm very happy with it.
I would suggest going with Linksys as they have always been a good company in my opinion, but NETGEAR hasn't disappointed.

Alright thanks for the tip. Ima try best buy.

Kira Yamato

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
I was wondering... i have an usb stick that used to work flawlessly with my nds... and the wireless router i have now used to work ok as well, but like 2 weeks ago it stopped working... so i tryed the stick again and the same happened... i thought it maybe was the firewall but the router is not letting me disable the firewall for the devices... if i say the model (im not in my home so i dont have it right now) could someone help me out with this?

xshoyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kira Yamato said:
I was wondering... i have an usb stick that used to work flawlessly with my nds... and the wireless router i have now used to work ok as well, but like 2 weeks ago it stopped working... so i tryed the stick again and the same happened... i thought it maybe was the firewall but the router is not letting me disable the firewall for the devices... if i say the model (im not in my home so i dont have it right now) could someone help me out with this?

Is the connection messing up or just the wireless?
If it's just the wireless, make sure your WEP code is correct. Try disabling your wireless security and seeing if it works then, if so, that's probably the problem.

If you have a Linksys, just type "http://192.168.1.1" into your web browser, and enter your login. If it was never changed, the username and password should both be admin. Then just go to the wireless security settings.
smileipb2.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)