Homebrew Discussion Why would you overclock your Switch?

For me

• Overclocking all the way!

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • No overclocking cause It's bad for the hardware!

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • It doesn't hurt to do it once in a while

Votes: 28 45.2%

• Total voters

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Hi guys!
Could you please tell why you're willing to overclock your Switch console?
I understand that overclocking allows for more performance which in turn makes some games run smoothly but is it really worth it?

Csmrcc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi guys!
I understand that overclocking allows for more performance which in turn makes some games run smoothly but is it really worth it?
I think a little (not full ) oc from time to time don't hurt, I tried it while playing a little doom 3 or n64 weeks ago, or testing DS games, but as I'm not dying for playing games that require it I don't usually use it.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi guys!

think of it like overclocking your gaming pc, it comes with both perks and drawbacks, though I recommend if you do overclock your switch to replace the thermal paste first

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys!
Truthfully I'd like to see more data on the cooling, everyone says " OH BUT ITS UNDERCLOCKED YOUR JUST MAKING IT NORMAL CLOCK SO ITS FINE" but in reality nintendo unclocked it for a reason, i'd imagine due to poorer cooling, so id like if someone did a study on the effects of the processor running hotter (caused by the overclock, for those that dont understand how this works).

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Truthfully I'd like to see more data on the cooling, everyone says " OH BUT ITS UNDERCLOCKED YOUR JUST MAKING IT NORMAL CLOCK SO ITS FINE" but in reality nintendo unclocked it for a reason, i'd imagine due to poorer cooling, so id like if someone did a study on the effects of the processor running hotter (caused by the overclock, for those that dont understand how this works).

Poorer cooling? they designed the cooling, they cheaped out on it though, the thermal paste is a good example

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poorer cooling? they designed the cooling, they cheaped out on it though, the thermal paste is a good example
Yes but the Tegra X1 already existed, it wasn't made for the switch, I'm saying that compared to nvidia cooling solution theirs is worse and they know it, hence the underclock. It could very well only be about the battery, but I dunno, seems to run pretty hot but the "hand in vent" test.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes but the Tegra X1 already existed, it wasn't made for the switch, I'm saying that compared to nvidia cooling solution theirs is worse and they know it, hence the underclock. It could very well only be about the battery, but I dunno, seems to run pretty hot but the "hand in vent" test.

Just replacing the thermal paste is reported to make a huge difference in how hot the system is

TotalJustice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!
I overclock to keep my hands nice and warm when playing in handheld.

Shahaan

Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
think of it like overclocking your gaming pc, it comes with both perks and drawbacks, though I recommend if you do overclock your switch to replace the thermal paste first
Hi guys!
Totally, N64 and PS1 game become perfectly playable in Retroarch and in some games with framerates capped at 60 but run below it can also help
Example:My hero ones just never plays at 60fps in handheld mode unless you're in the air and no models have to be rendered on screen

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's still the same cooling solution when you're docked and then it goes faster. It's underclocked to save battery and it's a smaller screen so they turn down the resolution in a lot of games.
If you overclock it to hard, it will out turn off if it gets warm.

Last edited by linuxares,

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
upload_2019-2-8_22-54-47.png

coppertj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted about this with a poll and most people tend to want theirs clocked because it makes everything run faster. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with overclocking with specific apps (don't overclock to play a switch game but overclock if you're about to in home stream or emulate a game) the switch needs the extra horsepower for those types of programs. A midclock is the safest while a high clock (I'm basing this off of in home streaming's/n64 overclock settings since haven't tried freebird yet, however I use high clock in inhome streaming and mid/low clock for emulation). However keep in mind overclocking can degrade components like any overclock on a pc. You take the risk overclocking just like overclocking a intel or amd CPU, there's a chance it can break down the road a lot faster or, it'll run smoothly for the rest of its life (my CPU runs smoothly with a 4.4ghz clock for, knock on wood, almost 7-8 years now with the only component dying was my overclocked gpu that gave me advanced warning it was going to bites za dusto, artifacting and random anti aliasing lines when there shouldn't.)

Tl;dr overclocking can degrades components

Reactions: Shahaan

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now Retroarch also makes minimal use of the GPU unless you go shader crazy. So in theory there's some more thermal room for CPU overclocking that may not be available in normal games.

As mentioned GPU overclocking is just stressing the battery extra, nothing it can't do while docked anyway. I thought Natinusala mentioned some battery bulging after extensive handheld overclocking though.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I would not do what some people do and overclock the Switch close to stock X1 speeds.
A moderate overclock over stock handheld mode speeds is fine. But the battery seems to really not be designed for the power draw of docked mode.
To those that think it's fine if you don't do it often, that's not how batteries work. If you draw enough power to cause the battery to heat up above its safe operating temperature it will damage the battery (if even just slightly) and that can happen in minutes. A moderate overclock somewhere in the middle between stock X1 and stock handheld Switch should be the highest you ever go, and even then it's a good idea to make sure the left side of the Switch (where the battery is) doesn't heat up much.

Anyway, on the SoC side of things, I doubt you would be able to do any damage to it by overclocking. It doesn't get especially warm in docked mode - it barely gets lukewarm, and I have heard from tests done that even covering up the air vents with cloth isn't enough to make the system overheat and shut down, you have to actually unplug the fan to make it overheat. And my phone gets noticeably hotter while gaming than my Switch does in docked mode, but that's also made of glass and metal with no plastic in sight, so I'm not too worried about it.

To me it seems like Nintendo did a decent job with the cooling solution. They probably had some issues with it throttling or crashing at stock X1 CPU and GPU clocks which is why they clocked down the CPU. But any modern mobile device will throttle aggressively to keep temperatures in check. Considering that, I think Nintendo did a pretty good job in getting a decently performing mobile device that doesn't throttle, and I don't mind that they compromised on the CPU clock as I really wouldn't want the Switch to be any more bulky than it already is. Games look good and generally run well especially in handheld mode on that nice 720p IPS screen.

The issue seems to stem more from cheap plastics used in the case, resulting in the bending and cracking issues that are infamous. The internals might be fine with the docked mode temperatures, but it seems like the plastics are not.
As well as that there's the battery concerns when you're pushing the battery beyond what it was ever intended (by Nintendo) to do. I don't know what the safe discharge rating of that battery is as it varies a lot. But clearly it was never designed for the kind of power draw that some people are forcing it to provide by OCing as there have been a couple of reports of bulging batteries already. The good news is that the battery should be easily replaceable for one that has a higher safe discharge rating. The bad news is that it might have a higher self discharge, or lower capacity as a result if you want it to fit in the same area without making the console more bulky.

Because I hate bad framerate and overclocking helps with that.
The thing is there is no good reason why N64, PSX or anything older than that should have trouble running at stock speeds. Just give it some time to improve and they should run with ease.
That is true but the Shield TV is also not a handheld device and it can afford to be more bulky in order to accommodate better cooling. Seems to me like the Tegra X1 was never really designed for mobile devices. Hell Nvidia themselves only put the Tegra K1 in mobile devices, they never went past that.
Just replacing the thermal paste is reported to make a huge difference in how hot the system is
Have you seen the stock thermal paste? The pink color to me just suggests that they used the cheapest paste possible. I've never seen any decent thermal paste be pink, they're all silver/gray.
For those that really want to overclock their Switch long term for increased performance I'd definitely recommend replacing the thermal paste. But it won't help the battery issue; at least the batteries can be replaced, although they are glued in so it's kind of a pain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @Sonic Angel Knight :bortz2: