Why was the Wii so easy to hack?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bubbleboy, Oct 21, 2008.

Oct 21, 2008
  1. bubbleboy
    OP

Member bubbleboy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The Wii had only been out a few months and you could chip it.
    A year or two later, the filesystem was cracked. You could change regions of games and modify them in other ways.
    Then the hardware was fully hacked and you can install pretty much anything onto the main Wii menu.
    It's pretty much been hacked 100%, not many limitations remain, if any.

BUT XBOX 1 GAMES HAVE STILL NOT BEEN DECRYPTED!!!!!!!! And those are 8 years old! With todays technology, nobody has figured it out?

Sure, you can play xbox 360 backups, but thats it. No other hardware or software modding or hacking. And NOTHING on the PS3.

Is there no demand?
    Are the smart people like Bushing and Waninkoko all taken by the Wii and there's nobody left to hack the other consoles?
    Or was the Wii just easy to hack?

2. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm sure there are tonnes of people desperately tring to hack the PS3 to play backups.

There is a bit of PS3 homebrew about if you search the net.... few people experimenting with linux....

The 360 has been hacked for backups,and if you have the right kernal you can downgrade it with the timing attack

(hopefully this link is allowed. Plz tell if not & I'll remove it. I dont want warn [​IMG])

I suppose the wii got hacked because maybe it is similar to the gamecube in the way it works, hardware & software?
    Or maybe because the wii is slightly less "next gen" than the PS3/360. It might have "last-gen" hardware/software.

3. ganons

Member ganons GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    well ps3 aint coz of the hypervisor chip?

4. NiGHtS

Member NiGHtS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Cos hackers cba to give out so much cash everytime they'd break a ps3 when tryin to hack it and fail lol

(I kid)

5. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    The push for PS3 piracy is generally stifled because of a lack of a homebrew community. The homebrerw community usually makes the breakthroughs in hacking the system open and other codes open it up for piracy. Sony did a smart move by allowing Linux to be installed on the system which effetively eliminated most of the homebrew community. (Case in point, most homebrewers want to see Linux running on a system first)

6. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    The PS3 HAS kinda been hacked for backups. It was only a WIP and required the game to be installed to a HDD & it only worked with some games.

edit : POC not WIP [​IMG]

7. marcan

Member marcan GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    The Wii was hacked because the drive was basically the same as in a Gamecube and we could run Gamecube homebrew and the Wii system security had some terrible holes.

8. ZarathustraX

Newcomer ZarathustraX Member

Sweden
    Good question and informative responses. I've been curious about this as well.

9. henkp

Newcomer henkp Advanced Member

Netherlands
    For homebrewers, the Wii is a much more interesting piece of hardware. Why should you hack a ps3 when you can do about the same stuff, though a bit slower, on a regular xbox?

As far as I know, homebrew is about the uniqueness (is that even a word?) (and emulation/mediacenter). I think you can say homebrew is there to make a device complete. Homebrew fills the gap between the games that get produced and those concepts you really want to see but never get released because the market is not big enough to get enough profit off of it. Look at De Blob, that was a homebrew-PC (ok, university-brew) game before it got real. The concept is (kinda) unique.

So why is there no homebrew on ps3?
    For a unique concept/game, it's not useful to pick ps3 over xbox. (Same control-scheme, except for the motion sensing. Hey, the Wii has motion sensing, but WAY better!)
    For mediacenter/emulation, it's already possible when you run linux on it. (Although I don't know about the mediacenter-capabilities/userfriendlyness...)

10. bubbleboy
    OP

United States
    Yeah thanks for the responses. And how could I forget Marcan as one of the smart people! [​IMG] Sorry!

11. bubbleboy
    OP

United States

Quick answer: High Definition Widescreen [​IMG]

12. henkp

Newcomer henkp Advanced Member

Netherlands
    So the second you can play Crysis in an even higher resolution than you can now, that counts as innovation/unique?

I take it you get my point [​IMG]

13. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    I believe a lot of it has to do with the trucha bug right? I believe that bug affects a major part of the system's security.

14. iori-kyo-k

Member iori-kyo-k GBAtemp Fan

France
    Blue-Ray hacking is way more fastidious. The decryption of the architecture needs more efforts, and Blue-Ray burners and blank media are barely new.

Wii games fits perfectly on a single DVD, with an architecture so easy to decrypt that it took less than a year to see chips here and there allowing backups to be runned. Then comes the utilities "Trucha Signer" and others ones, really showing that hackers completely understood the architectory of Wii games. From allowing a region to be forced to disableing censor on "Manhunt 2".

XBox 360 games runs perfectly as we speak. I won't say we already know how games are entirely crypted on the Dual Layer media, but at least we can get some infos from them and burn them.

As far as I know, the media barely plays the real deal in hacking a system. For the Wii and the XBox 360, the way to hack it is to avoid some protections by flashing the firmware and/or the DVD drive, to make backups being recognized as an original one.

15. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Why was trucha signing so important?

The most important reason was because Nintendo made it possible to acquire some signing codes via GameCube mode. Team Twiizers managed to find these codes and use them for an exploit in Twilight Princess. When the ELF loader was released, everyone knew that it wouldn't last long before there were great homebrew applications and games and tools like the Backup Loader and the WAD Manager.

16. BigX

Member BigX GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I think there is only one valid answer...
    only true Wii user are the most intelligent Reverse Engineers available. ;-)

17. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Im not to sure that if you moved to Wii people to the other platforms you get the same progression.
    Sometimes you get lucky on certain things. With the gamecube it was Phantasy Star 1&2 and with Wii Zelda:TP.

Sometimes these things happen, not to sure about why it hasnt happened for xbox360 or ps3 in the same way.

The PS3 i think does all what you want it todo already but for backup copies.

18. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    What else would you like to see via hardware or software mod? Want it to perform oral sex on you while you play DoA Volleyball so you can use both hands on the controller? The point of a modchip is to play backups... a softmod does the same thing. What other mods or hacks can you think of?? Seriously...

The PS3 has too much "new" tech inside... BluRay discs are about $20 each, and with the cost of the burner, it's cheaper to buy the real game right now... so, really, what's the point in pirating if your going to be spending MORE money than buying the game legit? The 360 has been hacked to death, so has the Xbox...

Seriously, what more do you want?!? I really would like you to answer that... what more do you want in a mod from any current or last gen console? (Wii, GameCube, Xbox, PS2, PS3, 360, and hell, I'll even toss in the PS1!)

19. denzil

Newcomer denzil Advanced Member

United States
    Word of advice: Only present facts on topics you actually have a clue about.

20. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    indeed.