Hacking Why use emunand?

DwightSchrute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize this has probably been discussed before, but I'm just wondering what the advantages are of using nand emulation. Obviously it allows you to run things like the HBC from your HDD instead of an SD Card, but if I have a fully functioning 2GB SD Card that I can devote specifically to my Wii, is there really any reason to use nand emulation? I've heard SD Cards can become corrupt and stop working randomly.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It has nothing to do with HBC running "from HDD" rather than "from SD" (it doesn't run from SD normally, it runs from NAND, just like every other channel. If you are referring to running homebrew from SD, well it can also run homebrew from USB without any NAND emu).

It basically means you have more room for VC and WW games, rather than Nintendo's poor attempt at a workaround, and you also can't brick your Wii, at worst you'll mess up your SD card a bit and have to re-copy some files to it or whatever. Handy for testing out various things like themes, custom channels etc.

Has other benefits too, those are the main ones I think.

EDIT: Also, NAND emu can use either SD or USB, so even a 2GB card will give you roughly 4x the space that NAND will give you ;)

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize this has probably been discussed before, but I'm just wondering what the advantages are of using nand emulation. Obviously it allows you to run things like the HBC from your HDD instead of an SD Card, but if I have a fully functioning 2GB SD Card that I can devote specifically to my Wii, is there really any reason to use nand emulation? I've heard SD Cards can become corrupt and stop working randomly.
Look above.

EDIT: Look who just got 300 posts.

DwightSchrute

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. I don't think I need much extra room for games, since I already have a Nintendo 64 with pretty much all of the games I want and from what I've heard Super Nintendo wads don't take up much space. If they do I'm sure I can just run them with an emulator using the Wii version of Snes9x to save some space.

secretchaos1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Emunand is convenient if you use a USB loader in order to have everything all in one place. I find Emunand loads a lot faster too than Ninty's workaround method of loading from SD cards, the only games I have difficulty with are Castlevania Rebirth and various N64 titles. So if you've got a lot of wiiware or other VC it's nice to have, but if you don't plan to use it for a lot then there isn't as much point. It's easy enough to setup either way though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)