FaRReR

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is a little bit hard to explain, but here I go-
The slot-2 M3 Adapters support SDHC because the Loader itself can be firmware updated. The M3 Simply/R4DS's loader CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT, be updated. End of story, goodbye.
biggrin.gif

So... SDHC on R4? Naaah.
Loader is what makes the MicroSD work... kinda. The Loader is what makes the screen say, "Could not find SD/TF card" when you put the R4 in without a MicroSD card in. Though, if you do that, you're an idiot.

Seina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone ever conclusively verified the R4's firmware is unflashable, as in there is no way to write to it?

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This old news. That is, if it's even considered news. And I see you are new here, so I'd urge you to use the search function for the future.

FaRReR

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
.::5pYd3r::. said:
and thats why you post a new thread? this has been said million times before and months ago.
See the date he registered? Damn noobs
dry.gif
I swear that something like this should be stickied, bar the "Noob" comment.
Really, it'd stop people like ME posting useless, random comments on a forum.

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FaRReR said:
This is a little bit hard to explain, but here I go-
The slot-2 M3 Adapters support SDHC because the Loader itself can be firmware updated. The M3 Simply/R4DS's loader CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT, be updated. End of story, goodbye.
biggrin.gif

So... SDHC on R4? Naaah.
Loader is what makes the MicroSD work... kinda. The Loader is what makes the screen say, "Could not find SD/TF card" when you put the R4 in without a MicroSD card in. Though, if you do that, you're an idiot.
Don't just go posting retarded things that have already been said a million times, man. Search.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Back to topic... flashing the ATF01, if not to change the data on it then at least to add extra code, like on a CD-R disc, it has me interested. The R4's lack of SDHC support has been discussed over and over always reaching the "fail" point, but the actual logical step to take - trying to flash the chip for support - is something no one's ever bothered trying. Is the chip readable from inside the R4 operating system, or at least readable via firmware? Try making an .nds application or a modified DS firmware to flash the chip? We can dump and restore ROMs and savegames from slot-1 devices to slot-2 devices, from slot-2 devices to slot-1 devices, we're whoring out the data on these carts in every possible way but we can't flash a chip? C'mon guys... think of all the happy people there'd be. :3

striderx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Searinox said:
Back to topic... flashing the ATF01, if not to change the data on it then at least to add extra code, like on a CD-R disc, it has me interested. The R4's lack of SDHC support has been discussed over and over always reaching the "fail" point, but the actual logical step to take - trying to flash the chip for support - is something no one's ever bothered trying. Is the chip readable from inside the R4 operating system, or at least readable via firmware? Try making an .nds application or a modified DS firmware to flash the chip? We can dump and restore ROMs and savegames from slot-1 devices to slot-2 devices, from slot-2 devices to slot-1 devices, we're whoring out the data on these carts in every possible way but we can't flash a chip? C'mon guys... think of all the happy people there'd be. :3

Hear, hear, Searinox...

You took the thoughts right out of my head. Your words are more colorful and effective than mine would've been though.
wink.gif

I agree, except that I think the dilema for the R4 team is if a firmware modification of this kind is possible, then it could be extremely tricky to accomplish and could possibly well and truly brick the R4. In the early days of flash carts, you had to flash the DS' ROM to make them work making it the purview of only the more hardcore hardware modders. Not that soldering chips and such was required, but there was a real risk of forever blowing away your $130 DS if you did it wrong.

Now these carts are owned by elementary school kids (I know this first hand!) and unless the update is as 100% foolproof as dragging and dropping a ROM file, then I doubt the R4 Team would ever release something like this.

So perhaps you're right after all. It may need to come from a third party hacker to make it happen.

striderx

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
m-p{3} said:
I wonder if it will only be a firmware update on the new generation or completely new hardware.

Don't think a new one is even coming out...

There is a rumor that a new SDHC version coming out on March 10th though. There was no link or proof, so it's likely that they won't.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
striderx said:
You took the thoughts right out of my head. Your words are more colorful and effective than mine would've been though.
wink.gif

I agree, except that I think the dilema for the R4 team is if a firmware modification of this kind is possible, then it could be extremely tricky to accomplish and could possibly well and truly brick the R4. In the early days of flash carts, you had to flash the DS' ROM to make them work making it the purview of only the more hardcore hardware modders. Not that soldering chips and such was required, but there was a real risk of forever blowing away your $130 DS if you did it wrong.

Now these carts are owned by elementary school kids (I know this first hand!) and unless the update is as 100% foolproof as dragging and dropping a ROM file, then I doubt the R4 Team would ever release something like this.

So perhaps you're right after all. It may need to come from a third party hacker to make it happen.

striderx
Before talking about programming anything into the cart the real issue is wether the chip IS flashable in the first place, and if it is wether or not the available hardware(NDS and slot-2 devices) aswell as software(NDS games, GBA games, NDS firmware) would be capable of writing data to the chip. So far everybody is in the dark about that, which is what truly bothers me. The handheld flashware is a modding community of flashcard manufacturing companies aswell as freelancer programmers and enthusiasts, who were at some point even able to convert the R4 into an M3S and viceversa, a conversion which didn't really bring much functionality, however none have ever tried modding SDHC support into the thing, which would be of immense benefit.

Instead of becoming a driving popular demand for such attempts, SDHC and R4 fell into the taboo area, just like GBA emulation without a GBA cart did(I really believe it can be done using slot-2 expansion RAM). They said it can't be done, don't waste your time. And I understand people wanting to be cautious about bricking their R4s but remember there exists a modded firmware for the DS, which was developed through the risks of bricking the actual console which costs far more than the cart. No progress without risk or sacrifice.
smile.gif
Of course it will be up to us hackers, it's always been up to us.
tongue.gif

Furthermore I'd like to add nobody ever considered alternative ways of making SDHC readable, such as non-standard FAT-partitioning, with more than 1 partition available. Say you had an 8GB SDHC with a 1GB readable partition and a custom, normally-unreadable 7GB partition which a 3rd party NDS app/browser would be able manage by sending raw read/write commands to said sectors that the firmware cannot normally reach. I'm sure there is a workaround to be able to touch those data clusters located beyond the 2GB heap. Such a microSD card would most likely be properly readable by Windows without the use of 3rd party software but would be well worth all the effort put into it.

Psy-Phi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would have been a nice b-day present from the team if they did get it out on the 10th
tongue.gif
. I'm still holding out, because of some sick sense of loyalty since it has been such a good card for me. But every time I sit down at the computer, I find myself browsing shops for other SDHC cards. Must....remain...strong.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
R4DS seems to be dying and fast. The R4 team don't seem to have any tricks up their sleeves. A 3rd party flash for the R4's chip to add SDHC support is what would save it. Everywhere I look on the R4 forums there are veterans and fanatics trying to hold on to this card. Is none of them motivated strongly enough to give it a shot? If there will be no SDHC support... I believe the R4 won't survive the next 2 months.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1