Why Nintendo Doesn't Remake Zelda Games...

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

QUOTE said:
While some players might think it would be fantastic if Nintendo remade older Zelda titles like Nintendo 64 title, Ocarina of Time. Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma doesn't think remakes are so easy.

"Whenever we have to think about the remake," Aonuma told IGN, "we have to also think about the background, especially what kind of situation, what kind of period and time that previous game was played in, because, be it Ocarina of Time or any other games, whenever they say they want to have a remake on whichever platform, they have some emotional attachment from playing that game at that particular time or environment." According to Aonuma, that sort of background is always there. "We cannot afford to destroy that kind of emotional attachment."

Another reason is that whenever Nintendo comes up with new technology, the developers are inspired to put that new tech and new ideas into new Zelda games. For example, in the upcoming Legend of Zelda on the Wii, the game features 1-to-1 controls. Players can swing the Wii Remote, and directly control Link's sword play in-game. "It has become very natural," the producer added. "I mean, the movement of your arms are precisely reflected in the gameplay whereby Link is wielding his sword just as you shake the Wii Motion Plus remote."

What's more, game play for the upcoming Wii Zelda title will be different from the traditional dungeon — field — dungeon structure that has dominated Zelda titles in the past. According to Aonuma, expect an announcement at next year's E3 about these changes.

"So that's the current situation and that's the reason why we are not very aggressive in exploring the possibility of remaking the past Zelda series," the producer added. "If I can think how to do it, or if any inspiration comes to me, without destroying the emotional attachment people have to the past game, and I can make some great innovation or renovation on the remake, then I might be able to think about it further."

Source

gitkua

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Remakes suck... OoT and it's (now) dated graphics are what made the game awesome in the first place! Really hyped about the new Zelda Wii though! Dying to find out what they're doing to break the traditional structure of the gameplay (field - dungeon - field - dungeon) and how the swordplay (with M+) will afffect the game!! I'm thinking it's gonna be FRIKKIN' AWESOME!

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
The problem with remakes is that they will never be as good as new games, or older ones for that matter. But if done properly, a remake can still be very good and really add something to the experience. A good example of this is Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. With the Wii, remaking OoT shouldn't be too hard, but the result won't be a game that's as awesome as the original when it was released.

Veristical Blaze

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Like Eiji Aonuma said, the feeling you had with the original game, to get that back in the remake, is an almost impossible task... I rather have Nintendo make good new zelda's then bad remakes. Improving their franchises is what makes Nintendo such a special company, unlike Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't even develop games for their console, or am i wrong with that?

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
At least Nintendo knows about this, why can't SEGA ever think this far instead of jumping the gun so many times? Sonic DS Collection anyone?! SEGA needs to stop being lazy and start making the classics with the times of today!

A bit off topic but I have BROOOOOKLYN RAAAAAGE about this situation.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really remember a single game remade that was even as good as the original with exception to Donkey Kong on the GB and even then that was more of a new game seeing it had shit load more levels. Even the remakes on Mario Allstars didn't have the same feel as the original NES games.

I guess Wii versions of Godfather, Scarface & RE 4 were a lot better than there originals but then they came from near enough the same generation and the only difference was control so they don't really count. Also for another example Twilight Princess Gamecube actually felt like a better game than the Wii version, the motion features on that were forced and tact on.

Nintendo could pull of a OoT remake well but as well as pretty it up a bit they would have to add motion+ control and add other gameplay elements so that it feels modern and in the end it'll just take away from the originals feel. They should just leave them alone, reissue them now and again for whatever collection or download release and keep them assigned to the ages.

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I just want an enhanced DS port of Ocarina of Time, not a complete remake. What I really want to be remade for the DS are the two games of the Oracle series (Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages). A remake of A Link to the Past would be awesome too.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Veristical Blaze said:
Microsoft doesn't even develop games for their console, or am i wrong with that?
Offtopic, but they do. It's called Microsoft Game Studios, which is both a publisher and developer. It consists of companies like Lionhead (Black & White, Fable), Rare (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Conker, Banjo) and Turn 10 (Forza). Still, Nintendo games have a special feel and of course a good quality.

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
.Darky said:
I just want an enhanced DS port of Ocarina of Time, not a complete remake. What I really want to be remade for the DS are the two games of the Oracle series (Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages). A remake of A Link to the Past would be awesome too.

I second this all.
I've never played OoT, but I want to,
And the Oracle series were just awesome. epic.
I still play them every month or so, just because I love them so much.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm so glad nintendo are thinking this way. It's funny cos I was actually thinking about this last night that they shouldn't remake Zelda OOT or FFVII for that matter. They are classics for a reason. The golden age of gaming. And they need to be remembered for that.

(my first post here in 8 months!)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ironically, here are what I consider Nintendo's most overhauled games when they remake them-

- Mario 64 DS
- Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (remake of Adventure on NES)
- Kirby Super Star Ultra
- Mario Allstars (remakes of the NES Mario's in 16bit graphics/sound)

Those four had the most changes of any of Nintendo's retoolings I've seen. The other games they usually port, like the GBA Mario and Zelda games. They overhauled the ones listed above though. That's rare for them.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically it sounds like Nintendo doesn't want to remake a game only for it to dissapoint fans. In other words, it may not meet the expectations. I can see their point, but I don't see how a new Zelda could disappoint me.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
I've never thought about it before, but now that you mention it, any Zelda remake would probably utterly disappoint me in the end no matter what. It's just one of *those* franchises. The slow change from new to nostalgia is part of the experience.

Like fine wine.

...Only digital.

...An it doesn't stain the carpets.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canonbeat234 said:
At least Nintendo knows about this, why can't SEGA ever think this far instead of jumping the gun so many times? Sonic DS Collection anyone?! SEGA needs to stop being lazy and start making the classics with the times of today!

A bit off topic but I have BROOOOOKLYN RAAAAAGE about this situation.

Off topic:

(just had to)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, now that I think about it, it's pretty damn clear why Nintendo doesn't make remakes. Simply put, older Nintendo games won't appeal to a casual crowd.

I mean, it took a "shove it up their ass and down their throats" marketing technique to sell NSMB Wii, as well as toting around features like Super Guide and being able to jump in and out of the game to sell it to the casual crowd. The thing is, though, the game is so fucking tough that any casual gamer won't be able to play it much. Still, Nintendo doesn't care, you already bought the game.

When you look at older titles, there's not much that could be put up for a remake that would appeal to the casual crowd. I mean, Metroid? The Legend of Zelda? There's no way they could remake these games and expect them to sell to a casual crowd. They'd have to pretty much carry you through the entire game and it'd just be a completely different experience.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think any game that aged well doesn`t need to be remade! That`s why I would never come up with the idea of OoT being remade for Wii and the NGC-port is already playable on Wii or VC so no need for a port as well...

@granville: I would add Metroid: Zero Mission

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
QUOTE said:
What's more, game play for the upcoming Wii Zelda title will be different from the traditional dungeon — field — dungeon structure that has dominated Zelda titles in the past. According to Aonuma, expect an announcement at next year's E3 about these changes.
god no please don't let them turn zelda into an mmo or GOW/sword fighting action piece of trash !

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If OoT got remade, I would be first in line to buy it. I loved that game so much and an update with Wii controls and new graphics would be great, plus they could always add in some extra content to make the game bigger, or combine it with Majora's Mask into one single game, as the stories do kind of relate.

Posts merged

Master Mo said:
@granville: I would add Metroid: Zero Mission
And it was freaking awesome
gbasp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.