why is this SDHC 90 bucks?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by claudekennilol, Sep 18, 2008.

1. claudekennilol
    OP

claudekennilol GBAtemp Regular

May 9, 2008
    United States

2. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Nothing at all, it's just very overpriced.

3. gamma93

gamma93 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2008
    United States
    United States
    Well, if you are looking to buy one, use Amazon. Much cheaper. =/

4. roguetrip

roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2007
    United States
    stuff at a retail store is always overpriced over online store. Its only a class 4 at that since Sandisk doesn't have any Class 6 available yet.

Newegg has a 8GB Class 6 A-data for $30+shipping! I have one and it works great.

5. Renegade_R

Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Apr 21, 2004
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    The SanDisk brand at BestBuy carries a heavy price tag...You should buy the SanDisk brand at...I donno...any other store.

6. Zenith94

Zenith94 1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz

Jul 22, 2008
    United States
  7. Renegade_R

Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Apr 21, 2004
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
  8. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    Retail prices are always ridiculous compared to the prices at something like newegg. Just last week I saw a 64meg (yes, meg) card for 15$ when I was shopping. It was like what the hell, the 2 gig card in my phone cost 10$..... lol. I think that's the worst I've ever seen.

9. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    Retail stores exist only to take advantage of the technologically declined. [​IMG]

10. g4med4d

g4med4d GBAtemp Regular

Sep 7, 2007
    United States
    They have to pay for the staff that works there, utilities, etc. [​IMG]

11. roguetrip

roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2007
    United States
    Although they rape you sideways on prices, they are nice when you need something right away and don't have the ability to wait a few days. If you look on some deals the prices are only a touch higher than a Online store price+shipping.

I know video cards are usually 40-75% more than what I could get one online for!

12. tedmg09130913

tedmg09130913 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2007
    United States
    Roguetrip is mistaken. This is a sandisk mobile ultra card. Sandisk mobile ultra cards are class6. You can find them for a lower price if you buy them on the web. For more information look up the card model code at http://www.sandisk.com/

13. EmperorOfCanada

EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 4, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    Not that it makes it right, but usually companies are just refusing to lose money on an item. they probably bought it for 10 bucks 4 years ago or something and are too cheap to just give it away lol

14. da_head

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    well companies don't ALWAYS rip u off, they have a few random kickass sales. a few weeks ago, i found this awesome deal at futureshop. 2gig ddr2 kingston ram (desktop and laptop) for $35 CAD. the 1gig was $70 rofl. when i asked an employee there, he was dumbfounded. lol the reason i asked cuz i didn't rly need a 2gig.

this is how the conv went.

me: "hi. may i ask u a question about this?" *holds up ram*
    employee: "that sir, is laptop ram."
    me:"...."
    employee: *smile*
    me:"...yeah anyways, i was just wondering, how come the 2gig is 35 bucks, and the 1 gig is 70? can u put the 1gig on sale as well?
    employee: *sigh* "sir, they're obviously different models." *turns away*

then i go get it and show him.

me: "umm, its the same thing."
    employee: *examines closely*
    me: "...."
    employee:".....uh....just get the 2gig kid."

loool. stupid futureshop employees

15. roguetrip

roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2007
    United States

Where do you see class 6?!?!? The only Ultra listed doesn't even show its speed. the Standard sandisk micro-SDHC only shows a class 2 rating! so the Ultra might only be class 4.

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(14...SDHC_Cards.aspx

As of yet I haven't seen a sandisk 8GB class 6 card.

On a side note, its crazy, sandisk website list the 8GB micro SDHC+ usb reader for 59.99, Same thing at best buy is 88.99!! 48% Markup!!

EDIT: After some googling, this review claims its a Class 8 card, dunno if its true or not but if it is then we are both wrong. lol
    source: http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/2008/0...osd-better.html

I can't find anything that is truely official though, not even on sandisk site.

My 8GB A-Data micro SDHC class 6 still shows transfer speeds of:
    Read 22MB/s
    Write 10MB/s

I wonder which one is truely faster on a benchmark. The A-Data is still cheaper if the OP is wondering.

16. Seven

Seven oh hell no

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    I actually looked it up, and it seems that the MSRP of 8GB microSDHCs are around ~$105.

Internet saves the day. And your wallet.

17. Perseid

Perseid GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2007
    United States
    Never buy flash media from a store. Find a reputable online seller(NOT eBay. I repeat, NOT eBay) such as newegg because physical stores will often charge well over double what newegg will for the exact same card.

18. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    I was looking for buying my mate who lives in the US a wireless USB stick and I took a look at BestBuy. I quickly came to realize their prices on anything are RIDICULOUSLY HIGH.

19. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    it's the same in the UK that's why i haven't been to a high street store in years, games still cost £50 in hmv and GAME lol

20. claudekennilol
    OP

claudekennilol GBAtemp Regular

May 9, 2008
    United States
    yeah, this card is a class 6. (at least the one I thought I was linking is--pretty sure it's the same card as I punched in the model number) Anyway, I bought it 'cause I was driving by best buy, but I checked the online prices when I got home and was dumbfounded at why this was so expensive versus other cards (like at newegg). Needless to say I'll be returning this one (unopened).