Why is the Wii U so fragile?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by thekarter104, Jan 10, 2017.

1. thekarter104
    OP

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Hello everyone.

I'm wondering this for quite a long time now, especially after reading the Wii U can brick with a simple .elf, changing one value, installing sysConfigTool etc.

Why is the Wii U so fragile?
    You can do stuff on the 3DS all fine, probably the least fragile along with the Wii.
    Don't mind me, I'm just really curious lol.

Thanks in advance.

2. wprpalmeida

wprpalmeida Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2007
    Brazil
    Brazil...F*** YEAH
    with the 3ds we can run the exploit before the its operating system, which means that any harmful changes to it can be easily undone by launching an appropriate application through this exploit (Arm9loaderhax, that is), as we have full filesystem access.

with the wii u, we need the operating system to boot so then we can launch the exploit. so any changes to the operating systems that would render it unusable will lock us out of the system

3. thekarter104
    OP

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    That's not what I meant, what I meant is, you can change more to the NAND on 3DS and Wii without brick.
    But if you even change one value on the Wii U, it will brick.

So, this topic what I opened is not talking about (But we have this on boot, and that etc.)

4. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    We call it fragile and picky, Nintendo calls it secure.

466, ItsKipz, TCJJ and 3 others like this.
  5. wprpalmeida

wprpalmeida Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2007
    Brazil
    Brazil...F*** YEAH
    you simply did not understand my answer. read it again, think about it a little and try again.

6. thekarter104
    OP

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Ah well, I guess it's just that for the Wii U. Thanks anyways, muito bom !

7. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    The wiiu will brick no more easily than installing a corrupt wad on the Wii. The Wiiu having this coldboot hack method is a dangerous hack as dangerous as reinstalling Wii system menu iOS with a patched build to enable the features of a cios (pirated disc loading in the home menu....)

Trust me a simple muck up on any device that renders both the system software and any recovery function inoperable will brick. In fact I've seen legit users Wii's semi brick because of corrupt game data. Couldn't boot system settings or most apps... Seen a ps3 brick just installing a simple update to the cfw. Just because bricks for the wiiu are more common to hear of lately doesn't mean other homebrew enable devices are less brick prone. Just means more users are trying risky hacks on the wiiu than other stuff right now.

8. thekarter104
    OP

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Yeah true ^^ Why didn't I think about the other consoles ^^ But thanks ^^

9. zirogx2

zirogx2 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    Remember the Wii u homebrew stage is in infancy. It will be safer as it matures

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

10. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yeah, the WiiU is pretty robust if you know what you're doing.

The large amount of bullshit that circulated in the recent past, like "installing foreign region games bricks" in the early days of the "brazilian exploit" certainly doesn't help people to know what they're doing...

Coldboothax has always been safe if you're aware of its limitations (the exploit game must be on internal memory, don't reinstall it, don't just delete it without resetting the default app back to the original launcher, block updates in case "contenthax" is patched...)

Last edited by Ryccardo, Jan 12, 2017
  11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I guess is more like saying "You hack our stuff, you better be careful cause i won't make it easy. I'll break if you don't talke care of me like nintendo intends." :P