Why is Sakura better than Moonshell 2?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by fearofshorts, Jul 15, 2009.

1. fearofshorts
    OP

fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Jul 12, 2009
    Melbourne
    I have been using moonshell ever since I first got a flashcart and jumped on the opportunity to upgrade tp the excellent Moonshell 2.
    However, I have heard many people saying that Moonshell 2 is not as good as Sakura. As far as I can tell (ie: having read THIS review of the M3i Zero) there is no difference between the two except the skin and the ability to load roms without the YS-menu hack.
    So my question is this: is there anything else about Sakura that justifies it's reputation or are people just giving credit to the M3 team where they don't deserve it?

2. rockstar99

rockstar99 Hi

Dec 3, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto
    sakura has cheats from the menu slow moation rts
    and it also has the "Push Slide n Play Feature"

3. fearofshorts
    OP

fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Jul 12, 2009
    Melbourne
    Oh, ok. Thanks.
    Another question occurs to me... why are they similar?
    I'v heard that there was some history between moonlight and M3, but I don't know any details. Can anyone confirm anything?

4. BoxShot

BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Middle of the ocean.
    Pretty sure moonlight made both .... moonshell 2 is basically what was produced before the M3 team put in rom loading, cheats, rts. (might be wrong here)

5. wilsonramal

wilsonramal Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2008
    Peru
    Earth?
    Moonshell 2 is better for multimedia because it has way more features than Sakura. On the other side, Sakura has Rom loading and lot of fetures in that aspect like RTS.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2009
    What multimedia features are different for Moonshell? I've not used it in a long time.

7. Hardkaare

Hardkaare GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2009
    Sàigòn VN _____ Status: Banned
    I thougt sakura came out before moonshell 2? (im talking about the early japanese only versions)

8. KingdomBlade

KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Apr 24, 2009
    In Vulpes' Fur
    The ability to play DPG files smoother. MP3 files are smoother also. Tons more.

9. nutella

nutella Low Glycemic Index

Sep 4, 2008
    Your nearest supermarket
    various bug fixes, jacket support, loads of new hot keys. way too many things to list really.

10. Placeholder

Placeholder GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2009
    Oh okay, I see!

Someone really should add those new features back into Sakura...

11. PettingZoo

PettingZoo yesss

Oct 5, 2008
    in the trap
    You can't really compare Sakura and Moonshell 2 because they are both different things, Sakura is a firmware whereas Moonshell is a multimedia player. I thought we went through this last year when Moonlight retired from coding.. Moonshell 2 was based off and made a while after Sakura hence all the similarities.