XP
Country
United States
shinkukage09 said:
fergieboy10 said:
yaynds.gif
g2n said:
DeMoN said:
No one knows if the SD slot is even fast enough to run a 3DS game from it.

This is probably the best argument on this thread. Case closed?
stop rofling my chopter everyone knows even the slowest sd cards transfer data at 2 MB per second and some even transfer at 8 i think

You're an idiot. Even if that WAS true, there's the fact that that's Computer-to-SDCard transfer rate. Not SDcard-to-3DS rate.

Not only that but those SD cards cost a pretty penny. (at LEAST 50 for a 2 gig maybe)

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rydian said:
Shuji1987 said:
lolwhut? I remember the Wii not supposed to be reading games from vitually any device available. I don't see how this is different.
The Wii can read games from other devices once it's hacked and a custom virtual device driver or redirect has been inserted.

He's talking about doing this to a stock device.

Sorry then, guess I misread.

For me it makes perfect sense that a stock 3DS is (ofcourse lol) not able to do that, so I just assumed it was about a hacked one. Sorry.

Edit:
To be ontopic, I do believe that either the SD card slot or the card itself delivered with the system is too slow. Anyone played let's golf on the 3DS? The loading times can easilly be somewhere around 10 seconds to load a coarse. Now it may also be bad coding or just a lack of compression in the gamefiles, but if it can indicate anything then that is not a good sign.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
sergster1 said:
shinkukage09 said:
fergieboy10 said:
yaynds.gif
g2n said:
DeMoN said:
No one knows if the SD slot is even fast enough to run a 3DS game from it.

This is probably the best argument on this thread. Case closed?
stop rofling my chopter everyone knows even the slowest sd cards transfer data at 2 MB per second and some even transfer at 8 i think

You're an idiot. Even if that WAS true, there's the fact that that's Computer-to-SDCard transfer rate. Not SDcard-to-3DS rate.

Not only that but those SD cards cost a pretty penny. (at LEAST 50 for a 2 gig maybe)
lolwut only 10-7,5 euros for a 2gb here

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
sergster1 said:

Lol what??

SD cards of 8GB with 15MB read and write speed only cost 10 euro's. The 32GB ones with same write/read speeds are 38 euro.

I think you are confusing SD/SDHC with SDXC which can go up to 35MB read speed and hold 64GB, but cost 109 euro. Other then that, a cheap card with 2GB can be acquired for just 3,99.

Even MicroSDHC with 16GB and 20 read/write speed is buttcheap for 26 euro's.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the 3DS may not even have an option to boot 3DS games from the SD. Yes, I do know the games downlaoded are booted from SD Card but I don't think they are the same as the 3DS games architecture.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
djricekcn said:
the 3DS may not even have an option to boot 3DS games from the SD. Yes, I do know the games downlaoded are booted from SD Card but I don't think they are the same as the 3DS games architecture.

I very much doubt this. Maybe the encryption/protection or something is different, but if the system can be hacked then this can be done too. Only if we knew if the hardware (sd-slot) can support it in terms of speed.

chauffler

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@shink... a computers read speed is only limited by its weakest link in this case it would be the sd card itself because USBs are very nice and RAM is ughghhggghhhh ahhhhhh yeaaaaaa very nice too. my point is in almost any situation the sd card is the slowest connection is the sd card itself and the slowest sd card i know of transfers at 2 MB per second and that is a good enough read speed for a 3ds game yaaaaay but 3ds roms dont run on sd cards yet nooooooo

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sergster1 said:

...where the hell do you get your SD cards then?

I just got an 8 gig microSDHC + SD adapter + microSDHC reader for 9 bucks in Target (where I work).

A Regular 8 gig SD costs around 24 bucks.

A 2 gig one is like 12 bucks.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fergieboy10 said:
@shink... a computers read speed is only limited by its weakest link in this case it would be the sd card itself because USBs are very nice and RAM is ughghhggghhhh ahhhhhh yeaaaaaa very nice too. my point is in almost any situation the sd card is the slowest connection is the sd card itself and the slowest sd card i know of transfers at 2 MB per second and that is a good enough read speed for a 3ds game yaaaaay but 3ds roms dont run on sd cards yet nooooooo

And where do you get that information from? As far as I know, no one currently has any means to check the transfer speeds of the 3DS card slot OR the SD card slot... 2MB is only 16mbps which to me seems excessively slow for something like the 3ds... that would mean that if you wanted to fill the 3DS' ram from cartridge/SD you'd be looking at close to a minute, even if you were only loading half of a level and streaming the rest, you'd still be looking at 30+second load times for most games... and that wouldn't even be taking processing overhead into consideration.

Literally, my internet connection is twice as fast as that
wink.gif

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
koji2009 said:
fergieboy10 said:

And where do you get that information from? As far as I know, no one currently has any means to check the transfer speeds of the 3DS card slot OR the SD card slot... 2MB is only 16mbps which to me seems excessively slow for something like the 3ds... that would mean that if you wanted to fill the 3DS' ram from cartridge/SD you'd be looking at close to a minute, even if you were only loading half of a level and streaming the rest, you'd still be looking at 30+second load times for most games... and that wouldn't even be taking processing overhead into consideration.

Literally, my internet connection is twice as fast as that
wink.gif

Actually that isn't that hard to do. Doing a quick google search shows that the SD-card added is the cheapest toshiba SD (not SDHC) card around (couldn't find any reliable read/write speeds so this remains unkown, but seeing it's the cheapest available this might as well be around 2MB).

In order for us to see if the SD-slot in the 3DS supports higher read speeds we simply take another SD (preferably SDHC) card and get one between 15/20MB read speed. But before you do anything, you should check out how long it takes for the 3DS to load your apps (time it). Possibly play Let's Golf 3D, that has loading times of 10sec with the standard SD card. Now, you just copy your apps and games from the standard SD card over to your new one. And then, you can see when booting up or playing games if the loading time is any different.

I might be looking into this sometime soon. But it isn't that hard at all if you ask me and that would solve atleast another piece of the puzzle.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just cause they include a cheap 2gig card dont mean that the higher class cards wouldnt increase the speed ,just cause it includes a cards that has low speed doesnt mean that is the maximum speed of the 3ds sd card bus, they prolly did it to cut the cost ,so what class are sd cards up to now?
im sure there is a sd wiki that tells the different classes of cards and what speed each class writes/reads at

besides this whole argument is kinda stupid, cause i dont why people would even want a sd card hack over a flashcard ,atleast at first, like someone else posted in this thread ,who wants to deal with having to worry about fw updates all the time and that whole cat and mouse game and the bricking possibilities ,if any exist, i mean i would like to see a flashcard first, and then maybe a sd hack for the online content ,like dsiware and 3d classic series ,and nintendo video and other hacks ,so what if you have to buy a new card , i rather speend the money on a flashcard i think if its going to save the hassle of playing the fw game

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD