Homebrew Question Why don't (m)any homebrew & emulators support separate Joy-Cons?

ReavoEnd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All homebew, especially emulators, seems to treat the left and right Joy-Con each as half of a whole controller, rather than two separate controllers. This is the case even when the Joy-Con order is changed/re-paired from settings so that each controller shows up as P1 and P2 (respectively) in the controller bar at the bottom. This dashes my hopes and dreams of playing multiplayer Super Mario Kart anywhere I go! :ha:

Any particular reason for this? I suppose devs just haven't taken the time to implement distinct recognition of the separate Joy-Cons?

I have tried remapping the buttons per-player for each Joy-Con via the RetroArch SNES9x core. While this works for a majority of the buttons, as soon as you remap the A button to the down arrow on the left Joy-Con, you lose your ability to press the A button at all (GUI reads it as D-Pad Down no matter what, while the remap does effect the GUI's recognition of the actual A button) and must quit the software.

Speaking of remapping, why are SL/SR not detected?

Shrike

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
All homebew,
Any particular reason for this? I suppose devs just haven't taken the time to implement distinct recognition of the separate Joy-Cons?

Maybe you want to test my port of Snake: (https://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-snake-port-lovepotion.498467/)
One of the main features is to play with your friend with every player using only 1 Joycon.
Btw: There will be a new (and much more pretty) version coming out the next few days <3
The next version will also be compatible with all firmwares, again.

via the RetroArch SNES9x core.

I think it would be great to have that functionality in as much emulators as possible!!
Maye we just need to make clear to the devs porting those emulators, that this is a important feature.

Last edited by Shrike,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.