Why does it take SO LONG for firefox to start?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by JJBro1, Apr 13, 2009.

Apr 13, 2009
  1. JJBro1
    OP

Member JJBro1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I literally waited 3 minutes for firefox to come on 2 minutes for the window to even pop up and 1 minute to get to the start up page. I've never had to wait this long, also it takes forever for itunes to start. Is something wrong with my computer? Spybot, AVG, AVAST!, or regcleaner did not pick anything up, what's the deal?

2. DarthYoshi

Member DarthYoshi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Firefox usually takes a little bit to start up for me. And iTunes has always taken a long time to start up for me also. So the iTunes thing is probably normal, I don't know about Firefox though.

EDIT: Did you install any new Firefox add-ons recently? That could be the problem. The more add-ons it has to load, the longer it will take to start.

3. MadClaw

Member MadClaw GBAtemp Fan

United States
  4. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    wont more downloads make it even more slow....sleepy

5. JJBro1
    OP

United States
    i use that as well.

6. MadClaw

United States
    Hmm, how much ram do you have?

7. JJBro1
    OP

United States
    1GB

8. DarthYoshi

Member DarthYoshi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, in my opinion, I still think you either have too many add-ons, or that's just the way Firefox is. (slow to start up I mean)

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    It's not a RAM issue.....I have 2 gigs in this PC (WinXP MCE). I believe it's all the plug-ins and cache'd web stuff that is taking it so long. Every time you boot FF, it has to load all the plug-ins and activate them, plus it checks....for plug-in updates....and a bunch of other crap before it starts.

I don't know if you noticed, but when you first installed FF, it booted fairly quickly. After you use it awhile, it boots slowly. Luckily, once it finally does boot, it's still quick loading pages.

It's not really a big deal for me though, I used to run a Commodore 64 years ago and have learned to wait for the "slowding".

10. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    it only takes a sec for me

there is most likely something tieing up your cpu in the background

try shutting bascially everything off you do not need like itunes, / ect... also msconfig does wonders to control random junk from booting up when you start your computer

11. Rayder

United States
    If I shut down FF right now and load it back up, yes, it will load instantly. But upon a cold boot of the PC, FF will take a few seconds to load. THAT is what people are talking about.

12. MadClaw

United States
    I see your point, really there is no way to speed it up on boot up. Only thing to do is wait. Or try un-installing apps/games you use/play anymore. And also try running disk Defragmenter.

13. Rayder

United States
    That won't make any difference. I know what I'm doing with PC's. I built and setup many dozens of PC's, including 7 of the 8 PC's we have here, with our 12TB of storage space. I'm sure I have less garbage running in the background than 98% of PC owners.

Besides, I'm not complaining about it, just commenting.

14. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    Holy snappels! RayderPWND! You just got 12TB of tbags on you!

My FF goes slow even though I has leik 2 addonz! O NOSE!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    PWNT
    [​IMG]
    The green is Rayder's PENIS

No but really, msconfig only helps cut crap out from running if you don't use those things, I find use for most of the services listed except for the obvious Crapple crap pod gayness and such

EDIT: emphasize.

15. SoLuckys

Member SoLuckys GBAtemp Regular

Cyprus
    Are you sure its firefox or its IE8 [​IMG] coz my computer is very slow and firefoxstart cery quick, IE 8
    doesmt even load [​IMG] .Update your firefox

16. JJBro1
    OP

United States
    well it literally takes me minutes as in 3 minutes.

17. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    from cold boot it still only takes 1 sec to start

18. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Mine loads slowly too (though not quite that slowly).

Do you have a lot of bookmarks or a large history by any chance? I read something about the Bookmarks/History file; Firefox 3 combines these into a single file, and the bigger the file gets the longer it takes to load on startup (if this is the case then filtering bookmarks while using firefox is slow too). To fix this you can export your bookmarks, delete the one in Firefox's settings folder and re-import them into a fresh file (google it). The other suggestion was creating a fresh profile and importing everything you need to keep into that. Google around for Firefox slow threads, I haven't got time to get links this evening but I remember reading a lot about it.

Sorry to repeat other people but you still haven't said if you'd ruled out a broken addons/extension slowing you down, which is the #1 cause of Firefox loading issues. Yes extensions are awesome but it's okay, by turning them off just temporarily you can figure out which one is causing the problem and have all the others back on in no time at all. (Go to "tools> addons > extensions" and disable everything. Reboot and if it fixes the problem you can turn them back on one by one until you find out which one is slowing you down. There is a list of ones to definitely look out for here)