Gaming Why do you pirate?

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cause im a working class gamer... ie i get paid shit lol

but i also do it cause my interests are computers and building them and moding my systems are just fun

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pirate because I find the concept of being able to burn games and play them amazing.
biggrin.gif
And sometimes I'm just to lazy to go out and buy them.

c2ironfist

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I always buy the games I really enjoy and keep them factory sealed in my collection.

The rest are usually deleted once I've tried them out. If a game is not worth buying its not really worth playing.

Anything that I can't get an original of is because either its too hard to find or the game goes for triple digits on ebay or something.

Generally make the effort to getting an original if I can.

Eden

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be honest, I haven't finished a Wii game since Twilight Princess. Brawl doesn't really count since there is no finishing it... I buy all my 360 games, but am very selective - I've only purchased NG2, Halo 3 and GTAIV, the rest were all rented and returned after a weekend. Maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age, I find it very difficult to replay games.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One of the main reasons I pirate is getting the games so long after the US. Especially for DS. plus, when I was a child, my parents never got me any games for my handhelds, they'd buy me the console + 1 game for christmas/birthday... and never again get anything for it. So as soon as I was old enough I started to pirate lol.

YumYumSauce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pirating is my hobby. Something about opening up a console and doing some fine soldering surgery is such a fun thing for me to try out, if only I was skilled enough to mod my slim ps2, that poor thing is looking like shit.

nit3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why I pirate? As an hobby first..second because 90% of the games out there are pure shit...and that is across the board (PS3, 360 and Wii)... All we see is cookie cutter games no original concept and even sequels are getting to be shitty, GTA IV is the best example...

But in the same respect I do buy when the game is worth it...I "backed up" COD 4 on the PC, killed it in a week then went out and bought it for the PS3 back in January, haven't stopped playing online yet.

To add insult to the injury there is perhaps 3 games out there that are actually worth the money you pay for, the vast majority is not even worth the price of a blank DVD.

If the industry wants to fight off piracy (or at least reduce it by a good chunk) they have to start thinking more about the consumer and less about making the "easy" buck. Cut the prices, don't tell me that if "insert game name here" was priced $29.99 instead of $59.99 they will lose money...cheaper price=more sales=more profit...not that difficult of a concept is it?

Rent the game is out of the question...way to expensive and you're lucky if you find what you want and even luckier if the damn thing works after you rent it. Watching videos is pointless as it is reading reviews...both system are biased and used to promote games. Yes even reviews, magazine/websites get paid by the companies and are just another way of marketing.

PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 at least you can get some good ole demos which is the only other way to really test a game for yourself. Other than that Piracy is the only option.

Needless to say all my "backup" are for personal use, I do not engage in activities like mass producing games, movies and music to sell it off the boot of my car. That is the real damage the industry is getting. Average Joe is not interested/not skilled to piracy, will continue to purchase the games/movies/music at the local trusted retailer if the "backups" are not made readily available to him in a easy way.

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1- Because a Wii game costs R$250 (U$125) and a DS title like Metroid Prime Hunters cost R$110 (U$55) around here.

2-"Because 90% of the games out there are pure shit" [2]

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Gaming as a full-time hobby + way overpriced games in Europe -> very expensive for a college student. I'll probably end up buying my games when I finish my education and get a job though, I just enjoy my entertainment that much more when it's bought with my hard earned cash.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Because I can, seriously.

When you can get your games for free, why would you buy them? I only got MKWii recently because of the crappy 3x speed, and I can't get the backup-loader(s) to work. And the Wheel!
biggrin.gif

But I'm not going to say because I can't afford them since I sort of can't, but I just pirate because its there, like if I see an iPod on the street, I'd take it, if someone offered a dollar, I'd take it.

The only games worth buying are maybe the ones with add-ons/extra items needed such as: Guitar Hero(all of them, if the World Tour guitar is compatible[probably is] with GH3 I'll get it since I like some of the music. I'll let my cousin get RB2 since he has 1, and I want to play Chop Suey!
rolleyes.gif
Same with On Tour) and Mario Kart Wii, since it's really good.

I don't usually pirate for consoles though, if I get a 360 or something, I'll buy some games and Xbox Live! so I can play online for real.(Nintendo Wi-fi sucks hard, PSN is okay...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative