Why do wireless PS2 controllers stop working after some days?

Segger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had no idea this was an option. I figured I was stuck using my old PS2 controllers and I have no idea what happened to my old flakey Logitech wireless controller. Thanks a lot for sharing this.

Oh, but does the pressure sensitive buttons on the PS3 controller get passed through to the PS2? I'm pretty sure the PS4 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons but the PS3 still did. To me it's definitely important for playing MGS3 since, for instance, the circle button will do different things depending on how hard you press it.

Reactions: cvskid

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had no idea this was an option. I figured I was stuck using my old PS2 controllers and I have no idea what happened to my old flakey Logitech wireless controller. Thanks a lot for sharing this
Your welcome. They make all kinds of converters for different game systems so i figured people would be interested in them.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Had no idea this was an option. I figured I was stuck using my old PS2 controllers and I have no idea what happened to my old flakey Logitech wireless controller. Thanks a lot for sharing this.

Oh, but does the pressure sensitive buttons on the PS3 controller get passed through to the PS2? I'm pretty sure the PS4 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons but the PS3 still did. To me it's definitely important for playing MGS3 since, for instance, the circle button will do different things depending on how hard you press it.

Does that mean DualShock 3 should be used and not DualShock 4 and maybe DualSense as well?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Segger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It pretty much tricks the system into thinking the controller you want to use is a dualshock 2 if that makes sense.
Yeah but that doesn't really answer my question, the X O ◻ △ buttons on a PlayStation 2 controller have analog pressure sensitivity, meaning they're not just binary (on or off).

So I'm wondering if that receiver understands that the PS3 controller also has analog buttons and will pass that through to the PS2.

Here is a information page if anyone wants some info on it.

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/44237976/
Nah it doesn't seem to say anything about it there either sadly

Does that mean one should use DualShock 3 and not DualShock 4 and maybe DualSense as well?
In my opinion, yeah, if it works. Games like Grand Theft Auto would use the X button for gas, pressing harder would give the car more gas and a lighter press would make the car crawl slowly.

This is an integral part of playing on real hardware and a crucial (imo) exclusive detail that's lost when playing via an emulator (on games that support it ofc)

Reactions: Windows_10_User

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but that doesn't really answer my question, the X O ◻ △ buttons on a PlayStation 2 controller have analog pressure sensitivity, meaning they're not just binary (on or off).

So I'm wondering if that receiver understands that the PS3 controller also has analog buttons and will pass that through to the PS2.

Nah it doesn't seem to say anything about it there either sadly

In my opinion, yeah, if it works. Games like Grand Theft Auto would use the X button for gas, pressing harder would give the car more gas and a lighter press would make the car crawl slowly.

This is an integral part of playing on real hardware and a crucial (imo) exclusive detail that's lost when playing via an emulator (on games that support it ofc)
I found the answer you are looking for. Check the review near the bottom of the page from a user named Sam. The answer is yes to pressure sensitive buttons when using ps3 controllers on ps2.

https://www.amazon.com/BROOK-GAME-C...f=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_next_5?pageNumber=5

Segger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found the answer you are looking for. Check the review near the bottom of the page from a user named Sam. The answer is yes to pressure sensitive buttons when using ps3 controllers on ps2.

https://www.amazon.com/BROOK-GAME-C...f=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_next_5?pageNumber=5

Wow! Excellent! I didn't find the review from "Sam" but doing a search I did find:

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 00.10.47.png

Derp, shoulda thought to check the reviews but just assumed no one would check this detail. The reviewer even mentions Metal Gear and GTA, ha.

Anyone who's played MGS2 knows that no pressure sensitivity makes the weapons more challenging to use, and makes the full-auto weapons completely unusable.

Good find @cvskid, I'm definitely wishlisting this for later since I've already spent literally thousands of dollars on what amounts to toys in the past month, otherwise easy instant purchase for me.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Wow! Excellent! I didn't find the review from "Sam" but doing a search I did find:

View attachment 308722

Derp, shoulda thought to check the reviews but just assumed no one would check this detail. The reviewer even mentions Metal Gear and GTA, ha.

Anyone who's played MGS2 knows that no pressure sensitivity makes the weapons more challenging to use, and makes the full-auto weapons completely unusable.

Good find @cvskid, I'm definitely wishlisting this for later since I've already spent literally thousands of dollars on what amounts to toys in the past month, otherwise easy instant purchase for me.

So, I guess it's really better to use a DualShock 3 instead of a DualShock 4 or DualSense.

Reactions: Segger and cvskid

Segger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I guess it's really better to use a DualShock 3 instead of a DualShock 4 or DualSense.

Yep, but if you're like me and have had your DualShock 3 forever, its battery is probably getting pretty long in the tooth. Whenever I pick up this receiver I'll probably also follow this guide and get a battery from a reputable source.

I think I even traded it out once already but I bought a crap one that's already toast again.

Reactions: cvskid

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yep, but if you're like me and have had your DualShock 3 forever, its battery is probably getting pretty long in the tooth. Whenever I pick up this receiver I'll probably also follow this guide and get a battery from a reputable source.

I think I even traded it out once already but I bought a crap one that's already toast again.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to replace the battery and this DualShock 3 isn't the original but an used one. The original stopped working and wasn't charging so I guess its battery died.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

I have such a similar Controller from the first Link you have posted,I bought it on Amazon in 2018 :

P1020610.JPG

Works until today,tested it a moment ago.
But One Thing.
If you do not use it maybe a long Time (Weeks / Months),you maybe have to press the MODE Button first.
Otherwise,the Controller is not reacting / no LED is flashing.I had this Behavior 2 -3 Times in the last Years.

Thank you.😉

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Good Morning.:)

I have such a similar Controller from the first Link you have posted,I bought it on Amazon in 2018 :

View attachment 308750

Works until today,tested it a moment ago.
But One Thing.
If you do not use it maybe a long Time (Weeks / Months),you maybe have to press the MODE Button first.
Otherwise,the Controller is not reacting / no LED is flashing.I had this Behavior 2 -3 Times in the last Years.

Thank you.😉

I pressed it to no avail.

• Sad
Reactions: Alexander1970

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How can I do that? What about the sensitivity, input lag and playing bought games?
With PADEMU, and sensitivity and lag is dependant on the Bluetooth adapter. I've noticed none at all when I use it.
Also, you need an adapter that supports EDR, so most likely it should be Bluetooth 5.0 to support all features and work correctly.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
With PADEMU, and sensitivity and lag is dependant on the Bluetooth adapter. I've noticed none at all when I use it.
Also, you need an adapter that supports EDR, so most likely it should be Bluetooth 5.0 to support all features and work correctly.

And what about working with discs?

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
And what about working with bought disc games?
Well, if you launch your games from OPL it should work.
For that you should modify the OPL config file to add this entries to the games list: "title of the game"=cdrom0:\"GameID";1.
For example, it should look like this: DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 3=cdrom0:\SLUS_216.78;1.
It's not a pretty solution, but afak it should work. I cannot try it since I don't own original disc games for the PS2 and the DVD reader on mine doesn't work properly.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, if you launch your games from OPL it should work.
For that you should modify the OPL config file to add this entries to the games list: "title of the game"=cdrom0:\"GameID";1.
For example, it should look like this: DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 3=cdrom0:\SLUS_216.78;1.
It's not a pretty solution, but afak it should work. I cannot try it since I don't own original disc games for the PS2 and the DVD reader on mine doesn't work properly.

Would it work for discs?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: