Hacking Why do they still sell the AK2?

jmckutchin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you think about it, the AK2 and the AK2i are pretty much the same and cost about the same, yet the AK2i is a much better value because it works with both a DSL and DSi.

Why then, do you suppose, the Acekard team hasn't phased out the AK2? From a business stand point it makes more sense to phase out older products, since they can concentrate their manufacturing on one version only (do they still make the RPG? not sure).

Just some late night free thinking....

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you can buy the ak2 cheaper and there are alot of people left with a ds lite that want a flashcard
smile.gif

geek_power

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know if it's still the case, but at the beginning, the AK2i was having a very high defect rate. So it was safer to buy the original AK2.

jphriendly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just purchased an AK2 a couple weeks ago (got tired of my DSOne). I have no plans to get a DSi so, for me, it was a good deal to save the few bucks.

anaxs

got milk, got candy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
before when the dsi came out the ak2i didnt work as well on the ds lite/phat than it does now..it was just a new card and there were numerous problems with it, but now its like the best and works well on everything...maybe thats why they still made ak2's for ds owns but i bet now they stopped making them

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no there the same i dont have a dsi and i have an ak2i

Posts merged

the ak2.1 and ak2 are mostly just 2 less then the ak2i so why not get akie eh?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well... I don't know the status of the AK2i right now. But all I know is that once it came out, everyone complained so much xD.

But anyway, it wasn't the best to get... So people just got a AK2. I still have my AK2. I will probably just case mod my DS Lite. SO it will just as new. Not interested with this new Camera... And DSi features an stuff...

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
mgridgaway said:
Why then, do you suppose, the Acekard team hasn't phased out the AK2? From a business stand point it makes more sense to phase out older products, since they can concentrate their manufacturing on one version only (do they still make the RPG? not sure).

No, if they are still making profit off manufacturing and selling a product, then from a buisness stand-point it MAKES SENSE to contiune manufacturing and selling product.
I guess you failed high school economics??

ericling

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
anyone can confirm,the build quality of acekard 2i same with acekard 2?
and the AK2i having a very high defect rate?

Thanks before..
moogle.gif

jmckutchin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crass said:
mgridgaway said:

No, if they are still making profit off manufacturing and selling a product, then from a buisness stand-point it MAKES SENSE to contiune manufacturing and selling product.
I guess you failed high school economics??

I didn't actually take economics in high school. But I did minor in business and marketing in college --but what does a minor count for, right?

Yes, they are making a profit off the product, but it seems to me that they'd be making MORE profit if they stuck to just one product instead of having to carry the overhead for 2 different setups. Not to mention training people to assemble both, ordering two different sets of parts, etc.

It just makes more sense to streamline their process now that they've ironed out the minor problems they had in the beginning. You're relying on a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. But the technology business doesn't work like that; it's in a constant state of competition. For example, when Apple releases a new product upgrade, they don't keep the previous gen around for shits and giggles. They sell it at a discount to get rid of inventory and move on to the next big thing.

If the Acekard team were smart, they'd drop the AK2 and really push the AK2i as the end-all of flash carts. Because that's what it is. So what if it costs $2.53 more? I spend that much money listing things on eBay.

Full disclosure: I own neither a DSi nor a AK2i.

bach3609

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They still sell it due to the fact that not everyone will get a DSI-I used to be a DSI hater myself. the AK2 is also cheaper than the AK2i, which means the acekard team will probably make more money just selling AK2's, as they are cheaper to manufacture.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off