Why do so many people hate Windows 10?

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did explain, short and sweet. Did u not read it? Xp and/or 7 just work better for me. Easier to use, simpler and work with older software that i like without difficulty. They dumbed down 10 to make windows friendly to noobs it seems. In the process, they made things clunky and annoying for life long windows users. Just my personal opinion, and it wont change. Fuck win10.
In other words, my very first post on this thread applies.

Reactions: Deleted User

Cleo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't like how windows 10 shows me the onedrive folder, although I don't use it. Also, it sets some settings new on my Laptop making it pretty slow. Fixing that stuff is just annoying, often I didn't even know what the problems were.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They hate Windows 10 because some people spread propaganda about being spied by Microsoft. They have been doing that since forever. It's not like they collect personal data to sell to shady companies, they just collect system reports to make updates and fix shit, usually.
I don't know if they're all that innocent, but the features are easy enough to disable. I just consider it part of the installing windows. Removing bloat is just part of the process. I quite like my windows 10, post-bloat-removal.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: VinsCool

Nagarjuna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just saying "X is good all the rest are bad" doesn't really tell us anything.
Care to actually explain your position?

---

I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro at release- at one point in the past, I had issues with Windows 10, but most of those were issues related to upgrading from an older windows that I was able to fix manually.

I use Cortana daily for syncing notifications from my phone to my desktop, I absolutely cannot stand Microsoft Edge, but the main issue there is poor support by extension developers- I also think UWP is just stupid, and so is their pushing of the Windows Store- I don't mind the Windows Store on it's own mind you- I'm just not a fan of having yet another platform to keep track of games and software licenses on- I already put up with enough of that with Google Play and Steam.

I know this surely this will rustle some jimmies, but screw it. I use Bing. There I said it. I use bing every day- not because it's better than google mind you- I do it because Bing offers a rewards program that I find to be particularly enticing- and it's results aren't bad enough to be an annoyance to me- so I set up my Google Chrome to use Bing Instead- and I set up a program called Edge-Deflector to redirect any calls to open Microsoft Edge to Google Chrome.

I got this nifty GameCube Microphone from Amazon yesterday- entirely funded the purchase with Bing Rewards Amazon Cards- and that's just cool. I'm always in for free stuff. For some, that's not really enough reason to switch to Bing, and I totally get that- as someone who actually uses it I fully acknowledge that Google is just outright better.
The concept of UWP is cool (lets devs bring apps to win10, xbox, and windows phone) but the actual program and having to use windows store is completely stupid.

Reactions: CheatFreak47

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In light of the recent WCry campaign, I will say this.

Imagine Windows 10 as a brand new state-of-the art ship with a newer engine that requires infrequent maintenance and a very advanced radar/lidar system for identifying hazards such as icebergs or Somalia pirates.

Imagine Windows 7 as an older ship that is just reaching the end of it's engineered lifespan; there is a concerning level of structural fatigue, the radar systems are outdated and much more limited, and the engine is a lot more expensive to maintain. Plus the somali pirates have figured out a trick where if given the chance they can quickly get in and rob the passengers.

Imagine other versions of Windows as a much more deteriorated version of the Windows 7 ship, which are running nearly blind.

Imagine Microsoft as the ship company that is desperately trying to get all customers to move to the new ship, and for a time was actually accepting the old ships as a trade in for a free new ship - and still is, if you know the proper channels.

Now imagine that most of the people sticking with older versions of Windows as passengers that refuse to move to the new ship because they see the price of the ticket and refuse to consider the value, and because they somehow convinced themselves that the fancy new radar system is tuned to peek underneath their clothes and is being used for that reason.

Reactions: Originality

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I hate all version of windows
and as an os it shitty no matter your opinion on an objective point of view, its way of handling everything is shitty and unesecure
I prefer the nix philosophy where the system is made of many different things which all make only one thing but does it good

I use linux that's it
and no i'm not a linux fanboy, i have to say linux isn't perfect and have flaws too but it is way more coherent than windows or osx

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I prefer the nix philosophy where the system is made of many different things which all make only one thing but does it good
I suppose you meant "I prefer the *nix philosophy where the system is made of many different components and tools, each one of them can perform only one specific function, but they perform that one function very well" (pehaps?)

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont mind win10 but then again at times i find it hard to work with.

before you could easily navigate if there is a problem and fix it, but nope win10 by default when you want to go somehwere your faced with a default screen with limited options and have to go a different way to get to where you used to.

i hate edge, its a sack of crap and doesnt support web features that would be the norm and i do not see the sense in forcing this as a default browser and hiding IE, why put two browsers in the OS when only one is needed.

i also dont like how it has alot of forced apps that are not needed, do i really need skype forced, do i really need to see twitter or the weather when i click the windows icon.

it would be nice to see windows just release a plain ole OS with fuck all but whats required for the OS to run and give me the option to decide what programs and apps i want to install.

Reactions: McWhiters9511

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am not sure if such a version of Windows would be any good.
Object Linking and Embedding is such an old, cumbersome, and resource hungry technology, that I can't see basing the whole OS around it as a good idea.

/s

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

queendude

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't hate it... but there's one thing that pisses me off:
I have a 40GB disk for Windows. After installing it... 3 GB left. Thanks, Bill.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't hate it... but there's one thing that pisses me off:
I have a 40GB disk for Windows. After installing it... 3 GB left. Thanks, Bill.
Cant be. the clean iso is:
► x32 (on the DVD ~ 2.5 GB, after installation on the hard disk drive ~ 9.0 GB)
► x64 (on the DVD ~ 3.5 GB, after installation on the hard disk drive ~11 GB)

So this depends on what iso/warez you are using, the number of updates among many other things.

Probably the PageFile its wasting your disk space.

I stick with windows 7, but yeah, also, a 40gb disk real size should be around 37.2529.

Soooo.. yeah, check your pagefile, and also, delete anything unneeded.

Reactions: queendude
D

Deleted User

Lets see... Constantly installing drivers from Windows Update even if I already had drivers downloaded and in the driver library.
Forced Updates (it still forces it eventually, even if "defer upgrades" is turned on).
The licence being tied to both my account and the hardware post Anniversary Update (why???) which managed to also get me in hot water with a family member who has refused to converse with me for the last year now because of it.
Creators Update broke USB Plug-and-Play entirely on my machine (ironically preventing me from using my 3D printer, and thus creating anything) which took the better part of a day to resolve (thank god I never had the idea to unplug my mouse or keyboard, I never could get 3D printing over USB-Serial working again though).
Creators Update also reinstated all the tracking features I had been progressively disabling and breaking since launch and added MORE (it literally brought my network to a standstill for the first week). I don't have so much of an issue with the act of gathering data, but using MY resources, MY CPU time, MY network bandwidth, MY HDD Cycles, and MY electricity power to do it is what makes it an issue, those things ALL COST ME MONEY.
It harassed me about writing feedback about W10 daily, even after sending feedback one day it'd start asking again the next day, it did this from launch day all the way until I uninstalled W10.
Uninstalling the in-your-face LINKS to Candy Crush (and it's various incarnations) and Minecraft on the Windows Store after every update (How the hot hell do LINKS take up 4 megabytes????).
Having to go through 3 menus looking for a key function or configuration option, only to be forced to open the same tools that only took 1 menu to get to in 7.
OneDrive running at startup even after REPEATEDLY turning deleting it's "Run" entries in the registry AND disabling the option in it's settings.
This is only a fraction of the massive list of grievances I have with 10, almost 3 years of semi-daily frustrations before I gave it the boot and installed 7, which runs from the box with no nags or bullshit just as Bill intended. (Bill, if you are seeing this, get back in there and fix your company AGAIN dude. Satya's people are driving your baby into the ground doing the same things Steve's did with even less success!)

you can turn ALL this off before while 1st installing.
That's a blatant lie, switching every single one of those options off only disables 10% of the actual reporting. I was seeing megabytes of data flying out to Microsoft's servers (Wireshark FTW) every minute or so AFTER the week of pure network agony with all the options disabled, thus why anyone with half a brain uses tools like DoNotSpy10. nice try though.

@Futurdreamz You sure are trying REALLY hard to defend Windows 10. Digging up the only source that isn't blatantly biased towards Microsoft that agrees with your point of view to quote in your campaign, comparing Windows 7's Crash and Error only reporting to Windows 10's every keystroke reporting and acting like 10 compares favorably, is it Fanboyism or do you have a "hidden agenda" behind your purposeful deception? ;-)

Last edited by ,

queendude

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cant be. the clean iso is:
► x32 (on the DVD ~ 2.5 GB, after installation on the hard disk drive ~ 9.0 GB)
► x64 (on the DVD ~ 3.5 GB, after installation on the hard disk drive ~11 GB)

So this depends on what iso/warez you are using, the number of updates among many other things.

Probably the PageFile its wasting your disk space.

I stick with windows 7, but yeah, also, a 40gb disk real size should be around 37.2529.

Soooo.. yeah, check your pagefile, and also, delete anything unneeded.
When I install Windows 10 I have about 15 GB free. But then it automatically installs the updates and I swear whatever happens, I end up with 3 GB free.

FM360

Kappa
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Some CPU intensive games run faster on Windows 7 than they do on Windows 10. CS:GO, for example, has a little higher average framerate on Windows 7 than it does on Windows 10.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I install Windows 10 I have about 15 GB free. But then it automatically installs the updates and I swear whatever happens, I end up with 3 GB free.
How long ago was this? When a new edition come out (ETC the creators update), Windows 10 has to download the latest version as a full image, taking up a lot of space. Using Disk Cleanup to clear out system files recovers that space, if you don't want to wait for Windows to do that automatically. Also the Creator's Update has a new update mechanism so that no longer happens. Once you install the Creators Update (and clean up it's mess) all future updates should take up minimal space.

Reactions: VinsCool

queendude

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How long ago was this? When a new edition come out (ETC the creators update), Windows 10 has to download the latest version as a full image, taking up a lot of space. Using Disk Cleanup to clear out system files recovers that space, if you don't want to wait for Windows to do that automatically. Also the Creator's Update has a new update mechanism so that no longer happens. Once you install the Creators Update (and clean up it's mess) all future updates should take up minimal space.
i received a Creators Update notification on my laptop but not on my PC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse