Why do people

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by BowlOfSpiders, Jan 11, 2011.

Jan 11, 2011

Why do people by BowlOfSpiders at 2:19 AM (1,847 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. BowlOfSpiders
    OP

Member BowlOfSpiders hi

United States
    say video games cause people to become violent? My big sister has been in here blurbing about how fucking bad they are for you to play because they turn you into some psychotic monster. Its not like I'm going to play GTA then go around [g]raping everybody. What is your opinion on this? I need some good comebacks.

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Are you the Grapist?

They say this because they need something to bitch about to distract themselves and others from the real problems in the world.
    It turns out that when shit gets rough, people make up new problems and sweep the bigger ones under the carpet.

3. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    "In the 70's, it was rock and roll that made people psychotic. In the 80's, it was rated R movies. In the 90's, it was rap. You're a bitch, shut the fuck up."

4. _Chaz_

United States
    Why the quotations?

5. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    The same reason why music, tv, movies, and so many others are thrown under the spot light. It's an easy thing to blame and people who have no idea what they are talking about will believe that they are the soul reason shit happens in the world.

6. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Don't go around graping people.

7. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Video games are the only reason I HAVEN'T turned into a psychotic killing machine. Examine the evidence. This is a short list of reasons why my life sucks balls or has in the past.

- Being stabbed in the chest. That really sucked.

- My entire family treating me as nothing more than a drunken mistake.

- My best friend betraying me and trying to kill a young lady I'm fond of.

- Being abandoned by my dad because he's too chickenshit to do what's right.

- The knowledge that in the end it's all a waste of time because no matter how hard I try there's always going to be some ring sausage standing in my way saying 'sorry, no success for you'.

In spite of all that I remain mostly sane, and the reason for that is when it all gets too much I can fire up my console of choice and escape into a land of fantasy for a few hours where nothing matters except the evil villain du jour and my plan on how to insert my sword into his nasal cavity. If it wasn't for that escape I seriously believe I would have lost my mind and gone on some sort of rampage by now. And given that I know where I can get an assault rifle, grenades and a crossbow within walking distance of my house, pray we don't have any power cuts.

8. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    if you got the selfcontrol why worry about games controlling you ?
    you're the gamer, you control what happens in the game , it's your life not the game's .

9. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    He said he needed comebacks. So I just put exactly what he should say [​IMG]

10. _Chaz_

United States
    Oh...

I like it.

11. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    put the entire question in thread title?

12. _Chaz_

United States
    There's no reason he couldn't have. He chose not to.

13. BowlOfSpiders
    OP

Member BowlOfSpiders hi

United States
    Thanks man. If she brings up something about it again. I will say exactly this. But she will probably come up with some half-assed reason why this is incorrect.

14. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    I think movies are a lot more violent than video games, the people who complains just want someone to blame.

I've played games all my life, I've never had the urge to go and kill Hades, or eat a flower so I can shoot fireball..

15. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    Then tell her she's the psychotic one for thinking otherwise.

16. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    To me, the people who bitch about video games making people violent are screaming: "I believe in everything other people say."

Even more, they say "You shouldn't use hammers because it can be used to kill people"
    and further, "We shouldn't drive to work or school because there is a .00001% chance you can die in a car accident"

---

Unfortunately, don't bother arguing with them because their proofs to why things are right is: "because I was told so" or "because I think so".

Instead exploit them. It shouldn't be too hard to find their weaknesses. Eventually, they will realize that you have exploited their weaknesses and try to patch it. I won't give any hints on how to exploit their weaknesses, just be creative [​IMG]

---

In my opinions, video games exercise problem solving skills more then most things a typical person does (similar to how math does).

17. Blaze163

United Kingdom
    The simple fact is that video games, like rap and R-rated movies before them, are simply a scapegoat. A way of idiotic mothers too bone idle to teach their kids anything taking the blame off themselves. A way for the media to distract the easily distracted from more serious issues. Parents want to just sit their kids down in front of the telly and expect them to turn out fine. Yeah...'cause that works so well on paper...

It's sad, but there's always going to be scapegoats like this. Well, unless we somehow start to believe in unity and peace on Earth, abolishing any and all serious problems like war and disease and the like. But then if we get rid of war then the games will probably all be shit anyway 'cause we'll have no action to base them on. It's a moral dilema.

18. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    Oh, I have a good one [​IMG]
    "Can playing Madden NFL 2K11 make me a professional football player? No? Then, can playing Mario make me want to jump on people and eat mushrooms I find on the ground? No? Then playing GTA IV won't make me want to steal cars. Now leave me alone, bitch"

19. Blaze163

United Kingdom
    Exactly. Think about how popular Black Ops is. Now imagine if you will giving them all real guns and letting them go nuts. You won't have a group of elite soldiers. Hell, with today's games you'd probably end up with a bunch of bra wearing pussies sat in a corner sucking their thumbs waiting for everything to stop going red. Either that or a bunch of newbs charging into a machine gun nest thinking they'll respawn if it all goes wrong.

20. tomrev

Member tomrev GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Games may be not total cause of violation in gamers but I believed it can stimulate internal human instinct. If you have no idea how to kill the other, you can not kill. Movies, game and every media that can teach you how to do violation, it can be a hidden cause you do a crime. Human have predator instinct in their mind. We will be happy if we have power above the others or harm someone/something.