Homebrew Why boot 3dsx files with Rosalina?

tmnr1992

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a bit of a noob to the 3ds homebrew scene. I read that Rosalina can load 3dsx files, so i guess I could load the homebrew launcher or JKSM this way for example. My question is: should I load apps this way instead of having them installed as cias? as I said I know very little about how Rosalina works and so far the installed cias work so I'm just curious about knowing the most convenient way to load my games and programs. if someone could explain a bit about this whole 3dsx file thing i would appreciate it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm a bit of a noob to the 3ds homebrew scene. I read that Rosalina can load 3dsx files, so i guess I could load the homebrew launcher or JKSM this way for example. My question is: should I load apps this way instead of having them installed as cias? as I said I know very little about how Rosalina works and so far the installed cias work so I'm just curious about knowing the most convenient way to load my games and programs. if someone could explain a bit about this whole 3dsx file thing i would appreciate it.
It would be recommended, there's far less chance of bans when doing so.
Your currently playing title is sent to Nintendo whenever you're online, and there's no way to prevent that besides simply not running CIA homebrew or VC injects while online.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last ban wave happened in May 2017, and nobody expected it. Not everyone was banned for some reason, only a small percentage. It's been a very long time, its almost like that whole ban wave was experimental. If you're living the public seed life, got nothing to worry about. You can even jump on a public seed to keep your main seed safe and backed up. It's called seed hopping "Just made that up"

Just do whatever you want, no tin foil hats needed. its very easy to get a private seed these days, even with ntrboot. Your baby brother that doesn't play online has a perfectly good private seed.

Reactions: Deleted User

tmnr1992

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be recommended, there's far less chance of bans when doing so.
Your currently playing title is sent to Nintendo whenever you're online, and there's no way to prevent that besides simply not running CIA homebrew or VC injects while online.

I've been using homebrew installed as cia files since I installed CFW around 2 years ago and have never been banned, Im not sure how long nintendo keeps track of the played titles, but i guess you can never be too careful.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've been using homebrew installed as cia files since I installed CFW around 2 years ago and have never been banned, Im not sure how long nintendo keeps track of the played titles, but i guess you can never be too careful.
There have been bans that can't be attributed to a specific cause. They're not very frequent. But it has been speculated that this is what they use to ban those people, since there isn't much else sent to Nintendo that could potentially identify you as a pirate.
That said I run CIA homebrew as well and I haven't been banned yet, but that doesn't mean I'm not flagged.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I think you should use CIAs over 3dsx. Pretty much the main point of CFW is custom CIAs. Besides, almost nobody gets banned these days and they're more convenient than 3dsx files anyways because they're on the home menu.

Reactions: MattKimura

emuashui

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Say, i wd like to clean up all installed cias.
If i do a system format or tinyformat, all previously installed cias/ injected fbi will be 1. hidden (thus can be restored if provided certain seed files? ) , or
2. simply deleted?

i guess configuring rosalina running fbi under download play can be done once all installed cias have been deleted with one go of system format?

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Say, i wd like to clean up all installed cias.
If i do a system format or tinyformat, all previously installed cias/ injected fbi will be 1. hidden (thus can be restored if provided certain seed files? ) , or
2. simply deleted?

i guess configuring rosalina running fbi under download play can be done once all installed cias have been deleted with one go of system format?

system format will format you SD card too.
tinyformat will leave the old folder taking space on your 3ds, you'll need to format it manually. you'll have a new movable.sed so no you can't restore them with a seedfile.

what you'll want to do is use FBI through Rosalina and delete the CIA titles (w ticket). it's much faster than starting over completely imho.
the only thing you need to remove is homebrew or hacked cia that use invalid titles or title ID's.

pirated or unmodified games don't matter.

Reactions: emuashui

Nomi20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I think you should use CIAs over 3dsx. Pretty much the main point of CFW is custom CIAs. Besides, almost nobody gets banned these days and they're more convenient than 3dsx files anyways because they're on the home menu.
Never been banned running CIAs everyday

Reactions: Joom

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Never been banned running CIAs everyday
This. Only time I was banned was for playing leaked SuMo online. Ever since I unbanned myself, I've never been banned again regardless. I don't cheat, use modified saves, or play leaked content. Pretty sure this is the secret to not getting banned.

Seeing as Nintendo keeps an activity log of their own, wouldn't it make sense that playing leaked content even offline would trigger a ban once one went online? I'm fairly certain that this is the true cause, and not homebrew.

Last edited by Joom,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This. Only time I was banned was for playing leaked SuMo online. Ever since I unbanned myself, I've never been banned again regardless. I don't cheat, use modified saves, or play leaked content. Pretty sure this is the secret to not getting banned.

Seeing as Nintendo keeps an activity log of their own, wouldn't it make sense that playing leaked content even offline would trigger a ban once one went online? I'm fairly certain that this is the true cause, and not homebrew.
I played both SuMo and USUM before release (not online because I'm not dumb), I had my Wi-Fi off, and I haven't been banned at all. I've gone online in both games after release. No signs of a ban. And I use CIAs everyday.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I played both SuMo and USUM before release (not online because I'm not dumb), I had my Wi-Fi off, and I haven't been banned at all. I've gone online in both games after release. No signs of a ban. And I use CIAs everyday.
Thing is that Pokémon games aren't the only ones leaked and accounted for. Off the top of my head, Mario Maker and FF Explorers were also leaked, and nobody thought of those because "omg, Pokémon is the only AAA title, so we should only pay attention to it". I'm fairly certain that Nintendo accounted for those as well. Especially since Squenix paid more for Explorers to be an (overhyped) exclusive.

Last edited by Joom,

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The truth is, nobody knows why people were banned and why others weren't. A lot of data was collected and it was inconclusive. As others said, some people prefer 3dsx files as they do not show up in your activity log. Just the download play would show up if you have Rosalina injected there. CIA files show the title of the content in your activity log.

Some people like to claim that Nintendo doesn't care about homebrew CIAs, but only about ones you obtained illegally (aka did not purchase). Personally, I was banned in the first ban wave. After that I switched to using a public seed. Now, public seeds typically get banned pretty quickly. The one I'm currently using, hasn't been banned and it's been months.

Perhaps Nintendo stopped banning, or is just waiting to do so in more waves. But again, nobody knows. For every theory as to why certain people got banned, there exists too many outliers for it to be solid enough.

Personally, I attribute my ban to sending out Doodlebombs to people who requested them. Ninty didn't seem to like those.

Any game I play is installed via CIA as I like to go online with them.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
@OrGoN3, I feel like I'm closing in on it now that certain things have come to light. Wouldn't it make sense that Nintendo kept offline logs to be sent once online? How else would they keep their own activity logs? People keep looking for conspiracies that just aren't there.

Last edited by Joom,

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@OrGoN3, I feel like I'm closing in on it now that certain things have come to light. Wouldn't it make sense that Nintendo kept offline logs to be sent once online? How else would they keep their own activity logs? People keep looking for conspiracies that just aren't there.
Wireshark will prove they send activity logs back to home base (Ninty servers). It's just that they acted on some users and not all of them.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

If you only play leaked games offline they will have no knowledge of it because the info is never sent to their servers.

The scary thing is, how to tell which entries are safe to delete... tks
The ones in green are safe.
They don't. But your last played title could be sent to them if nothing is running.
Wireshark will prove they send activity logs back to home base (Ninty servers). It's just that they acted on some users and not all of them.
Only the currently playing title (or last played if nothing is running) is sent to Nintendo.

Reactions: OrGoN3 and emuashui

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1