Why Are Phoenix Wright Games So Expensive?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by ViRGE, Jun 21, 2011.

Jun 21, 2011
  1. ViRGE
    OP

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

I recently got a friend hooked on the Phoenix Wright series, so of course he's working on picking up the other two games. He's run into a snag though: PW2 and PW3 are ridiculously expensive. PW1 was easy enough to pick up locally at a good price, but no one has PW2 or PW3 in stock locally, and online prices are easily over the MSRP of the games when they were new (particularly for PW3).

I know the series is a bit of a cult classic, but certainly that doesn't explain why they're going for $50+? Is it that popular (and by extension: produced in such low quantities), or am I missing something here?

And on that note, is there anyplace to pick up PW3 for less than the GDP of a small 3rd world nation, or is my buddy going to be SOL?

2. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    This is one of the reasons people pirate.

3. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Game is out of print and there's a demand hence making copies go up in price.

4. kay_1050

Newcomer kay_1050 Member

United States
    Buy the used one.The quality is not very good but it plays perfectly.The good side, more cheaper than the new one.

5. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    Try Ebay - they have them quite cheap, like 17-30 dollars. And some sellers are willing to ship out of USA if you ask them personally. [​IMG]

6. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom

7. ViRGE
    OP

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

Just to be clear here, I know it's out of print. The prices I'm talking about are used copies. Quite frankly used games aren't usually this expensive, so I was curious as to whether there was more to it.

8. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Hiring an Attorney isn't cheap you know.

9. Izzy011

Member Izzy011 The Business Bitch

United States
    It's out of print I think, but in the used section of Amazon, you can get them for 25$ (JFA) and 37$ (TaT)

10. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    Still kinda sad that they are. I happen to think that the AA series are some of the best games, the first three being the best out of the series.

11. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I dunno, but so far after a year of searching I found AA, JFA, T&T, and AAI all together in one Gamestop. Sadly, I didn't have the money. Oh well, I can get the first three on the Wii for $10 each. Though I really want all 5 DS ones (with cases).

12. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    Whoever would pay 50 bucks right now for used AA (ANY game in the series) is an idiot.

Each game only runs 15-30 bucks, 50 is WAAAAY overpriced. They are ACTUALLY a lot cheaper than way back when...

the original run of AA was short; Capcm had no idea it would be so popular, at one time PWAA was going for 40 bucks. then they reprinted it at fans request, then one last itme with the Ghost Trick bundle.

In other words... for even a new SEALED copy of PWAA, you should only be paying 30 bucks max. Same for all the other games. As a matter of fact, the Exchange I go to has AJ for 30 new, MI for 20 new, and T&T for 20 new.

I don't know WHERE the hell you shop...

13. kay_1050

Newcomer kay_1050 Member

United States
    As for PW2 and PW3
    Yes.They not on retail store anymore.i figured out that much when i bought PW this morning.

Trade zone maybe?

14. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
  15. SaddQ

Member SaddQ GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I had the first 4 AA games once, including the Japanese release of AA 1, 2 and 3, but sold them when I got a flashcart and DL'ed the proper European versions to it. Sold them for not too much money, I might add. Should have charged a hell lot more.

16. ViRGE
    OP

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

Apparently not the same place you do. None of the local shops here have it, and we've already been over the situation with online shops.

For those prices you could probably make a small fortune reselling those games on the internet.[​IMG]