Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A person who is interested in the truth does their best to understand what a person actually meant, and does not make selective interpretations which dismiss what was actually intended by the speaker. Why would anyone claim that Devolution limits their ability to play games from disc? That's absurd.
You are not Nintendo or any big platform holder. An 'underground console scene' should be about removing the limits - not adding new ones. IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO ADD NEW SAFEGUARDS/LIMITATIONS to your homebrew
I think it is quite clear what LibretroRetroArch "actually meant"; he clearly stated that tueidj was adding new limitations. If that wasn't what he meant (no idea how he could have meant anything else with what he said), I'd invite him to clarify what he actually meant, but I don't think that is necessary; his point was made quite clear, and was probably (correctly) dismissed by most people with a little sense.

EDIT: tueidj beat me to it. Guess I take too long to type.

Yes it is a new limitation - one I find to be quite hilarious I'd like to add. It would be as ridiculous as me adding a 'check' in RetroArch where it would check if the game you're trying to play on SNES9x (as a ROM) has already been 'purchased' by you on the Virtual Console - after which - yes, you have bought 'Street Fighter II Turbo' on Virtual Console - now you finally get to play your ROM on SNES9x. Yes, really, the concept is that ridiculous.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
A person who is interested in the truth does their best to understand what a person actually meant, and does not make selective interpretations which dismiss what was actually intended by the speaker. Why would anyone claim that Devolution limits their ability to play games from disc? That's absurd.
You are not Nintendo or any big platform holder. An 'underground console scene' should be about removing the limits - not adding new ones. IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO ADD NEW SAFEGUARDS/LIMITATIONS to your homebrew
I think it is quite clear what LibretroRetroArch "actually meant"; he clearly stated that tueidj was adding new limitations. If that wasn't what he meant (no idea how he could have meant anything else with what he said), I'd invite him to clarify what he actually meant, but I don't think that is necessary; his point was made quite clear, and was probably (correctly) dismissed by most people with a little sense.

EDIT: tueidj beat me to it. Guess I take too long to type.

Yes it is a new limitation - one I find to be quite hilarious I'd like to add. It would be as ridiculous as me adding a 'check' in RetroArch where it would check if the game you're trying to play on SNES9x (as a ROM) has already been 'purchased' by you on the Virtual Console - after which - yes, you have bought 'Street Fighter II Turbo' on Virtual Console - now you finally get to play your ROM on SNES9x. Yes, really, the concept is that ridiculous.
Good idea, but dont check for games installed in wii memory.
Check games bought online instead.
If you only check installs, then we can still pirate by installing wads.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The concept of you telling me what I can and can't do with my own program is as ridiculous as people trying to demand that you add support for direct loading of zipped ROMs.
Ha! Look at that, I made up my own crap off-topic analogy.

Reactions: 2 people

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The concept of you telling me what I can and can't do with my own program is as ridiculous as people trying to demand that you add support for direct loading of zipped ROMs.
I Agree

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I've managed to find a way to accomodate for that need now - it will be addressed. Ultimately, it's about trying to meet the user's needs no matter if you're morally against it or not.

Over to you. You could begin by not ignoring 'false positive' reports that people are telling you about in PMs. Unless you want to chalk these up as 'lies' on their behalf.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To my knowledge there is only one game that "may" have an issue, XGIII. My own US copy, which I ordered from overseas when it was first reported as non-working, does not exhibit the problem.
So what are these other second-hand reports that you have, seeing as you haven't actually used the app yourself?

Lol, "trying to meet the user's needs". Are you going to host all ROMs yourself? Because I'm pretty sure the users need the ROMs to play the games.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lol, "trying to meet the user's needs". Are you going to host all ROMs yourself? Because I'm pretty sure the users need the ROMs to play the games.

I let them play those ROMs all the same. I don't curtail their 'ability' to just - you know - have the ROM or ISO load - and all that - I don't put in a disclaimer saying 'piracy is bad, mmmkay' - I don't have them search for their '90s cartridges and have them scan the cardboard box's barcode, put it in a JPEG image on the SD card and have the app try to decipher it.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good for you. Do you see me posting anywhere about how I think what you're doing with your app is wrong?

Well you could - but seeing as the whole purpose of an emulator is to play ROMs, you wouldn't get very far. Just like the single sole purpose of a backup loader is, you know, to play 'backups' - like, you know, without an original disc having to be required.

Yes, that's been the definition of a 'backup loader' from Day One, thank you very much. Unless you allow for Devolution to 'detect' backups as valid discs too, then the definition of a 'backup loader' doesn't really apply here.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's not the single sole purpose of Devolution at all, you might know that if you'd used it.

I don't like you butchering and redefining what a 'backup loader' is supposed to represent after a constant and clear definition that has lasted for the better part of at least 20 years until certain 'do-gooders' thought they needed to protect 'users' from making their own decisions - on that principe alone I won't use it.

This would have been burned at the stake in the Amiga days - it's that much of a muddying of the waters.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Good for you. Do you see me posting anywhere about how I think what you're doing with your app is wrong?

Well you could - but seeing as the whole purpose of an emulator is to play ROMs, you wouldn't get very far. Just like the single sole purpose of a backup loader is, you know, to play 'backups' - like, you know, without an original disc having to be required.

Yes, that's been the definition of a 'backup loader' from Day One, thank you very much. Unless you allow for Devolution to 'detect' backups as valid discs too, then the definition of a 'backup loader' doesn't really apply here.
You also didnt get far, because he is not listening.
That's not the single sole purpose of Devolution at all, you might know that if you'd used it.
Ok so what are other purposes?

air2004

Air
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You also didnt get far, because he is not listening.
Ok so what are other purposes?
I believe the main purpose of Dev , is for wii mote support for GC games .

On a side note , people were not using hard drive based back up loaders in 2001 so technically the ap measure is an addition.
People do not have a right to tell tueidj what he can and cant do with his program. I just don't understand the reason for the ap , when it will limit the number of people that will use it. All that hard work seems really to be for nothing.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I believe the main purpose of Dev , is for wii mote support for GC games.

Considering that Wii remotes cannot be used with the program, it must be a complete failure then... ;-)

Makes more sense to consider USB/SD loading of GC games in Wii mode to be the program's main purpose.

Reactions: 1 person

air2004

Air
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I read him saying that somewhere . That in the future , Dev would offer wii mote support , not sure how he would pull it off , but again I thought he posted that prior to the release of Dev.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I can list a few purposes

1) Load backups (obviously)
2) Load backups with streaming audio working
3) Play Gamecube games online with the gc broadband adapter emulated
4) Play Gamecube games with the Classic Controller (future release)
5) Play Gamecube games with Wiimote+Nunchuk (future release)

Pardon me if I forgot something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv