Who here uses PCSX2?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by War, Mar 24, 2009.

Mar 24, 2009

Who here uses PCSX2? by War at 10:26 PM (975 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I just recently found out about it... although apparently you need a really high end system and games don't run full speed. Who uses it? How well does it run? What are your PC's specs?

I have 2 gb of RAM, core duo, and I think my video card is 8600... so I might be able to use it.

2. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    There's still noticeable graphics and performance issues. A bit annoying.

But the load times are incredible. Even when played directly from an original retail disc (some plugins do support this).

Edit: Fixed to sound less excessive.

3. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Well, I really just want to be able to play FFX and Persona 4, but I'm sure those are pretty glitchy. :\

4. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Funilly enough I tried it out for the first time yesterday myself, I have a very respectable gaming laptop which runs all new games at a reasonable rate. But man PCSX2 was painfully slow, looking into it more I found out you need a monster of a machine to get anything running reasonably on it. Mainly you need a fast as hell CPU, at least a 3.00GHz dual core for it, quads are no good the emulator doesnt support those. Personally Im going to wait until I build a new PC before I give it a go again.

5. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Hm... well that's a bit discouraging. I saw a YouTube video of a guy running FFX-2 at full speed and his specs were basically the same as mine, which gave me a little hope...

6. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    It depends on the game and plugins you use I suppose. I tried Killzone, which was optimistic, that sucked, and Marvel vs Capcom didnt work well either. Some games of course work better then others as is true with all emulators.

7. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

my friend's KH2 disk crapped out on me when I got to the Pirates of the Caribbean level, not letting me get past a certain cutscene, then outright refusing to load my save after a trip to gamecrazy for disk cleaning so when I got my new computer, I tried it out and surprisingly enough, it worked fantastically (even when reading from the same disk that no ps2 that I tested could run), allowing me to run through the entire game with very few problems. I have a 2.8Ghz core2duo and very rarely did cpu utilization reach 100% (pretty much only in twilight town, which made going through the roxas part that much more grinding). Slowdowns occurred somewhat often (usually not dropping below 48ish fps) independent of cpu usage, and seemingly of any other component as my ram usage never reached the full 2 gigs and I saw no speedup when changing my graphics card from an x1650 (weaker then OP's card) to a 4830 (more powerful then OP's card).

Overall the experience was quite enjoyable and the small slowdowns I would say are worth the vastly increased image quality.

EDIT: I would like to add that this is a nice way to play ps2 games in a (mostly) legal manner without a ps2 since the emulator can use normal ps2 disks put in your cd drive. The only questionable thing is copying the ps2's copyrighted bios, but I don't see Sony taking anyone to court for that.

8. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    I'm about to try it on my laptop. It probably won't work, but it's worth a shot.