Hacking White screen on cycle ds

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We got brand new Cyclo DS carts today. I did all the right stuff, put the new firmware (1.53) on it, and the games. First I formatted the card (which was working fine with the R4). Now before the game menu even loads it has a white screen. It was working earlier but now it won't work. I tried it with another Cyclo cart and it didn't work with it either. I can't imagine that it's the sd card since it was perfect before this. Any ideas? Should I switch it to 1.51 firmware? If so where do I find that? thanks!

eta: I did have a custom skin on it but I took that off and it didn't do any good. I have the cheat file on it too. My son's is working fine so far, just my daughter's is not.

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I tried the 1.54 and still getting the white screen.
frown.gif

Wanted to add that I put my R4 in her DS and it works fine. So I don't think it's the DS itself.

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried the 1.51 firmware and it isn't working with it either. It's not working in my DS either. So it's either the flashcart (in which case that would mean I have two bad ones here, which seems unlikely) or the sd card, which was working fine in the R4, or the files on the card.

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I didn't see your message before I messed with it some more (not getting emails for some reason) so I'll try that next time if it happens again. What I did was format the card (first backed up any new save files) and then I put the games and save files back on. Apparently the flashcart now has 1.51 on it so I didn't have to adjust that at all. I then tried the cart with the sd card and it worked. So then I added the cheats and so far it's working. So I suspect it was the skin. But I had to format to get it to work so even removing the skin left some skin info in the xml file or something. At any rate it's working so far. My plan is to get extra sd cards so we can keep the R4 carts as backup while on vacation or whatever when we may not be able to switch the info from one sd card to another. I thought the cyclo ds was supposed to be so much better but now I'm a little paranoid so we'll keep the R4 for backup.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Not trying to be a Cyclo fanboy or anything but the reason the R4 is more stable is because there were never any new features added on to it, while the Cyclo gets updated with new features regularly so these weird bugs are bound to appear every once in a while.

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That makes sense. Now she is having trouble saving games (or more specifically, her saves are showing as a new game and not her old game). Only Yoshi's Island DS so far. I tried to reload the backup save from before and it isn't working. So I loaded an older save file from last march and it still shows up as a new game.

edit-she just told me she switched her save setting to alternative. So obviously I need to read up on the hows and whys of that and how I can get her game back. Apparently it is just not reading it from the original save file? So can I just move her save file into a different folder? I'm off to read.

taken

Trophies
XP
Country
Because you used sd card with your R4. Only sd cards runs on R4.

I never tried a sd card on my cyclo ds evo

When you got the cyclo ds why didn't you buy a 4 gig sdhc.

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used a micro sd card with the R4 and we're using the exact same card with the cyclo ds. I am going to buy extra sd cards so I should buy the hc type? The reason I didn't buy them with the cyclo is because we were just planning to use the same ones we were already using. I am planning to get the 4 gb.

I looked at hc means high capacity of 4 gb or greater. So I'll just get a 4 gb micro sd card. Since we have kingston now I'll just buy that brand again, I guess.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
No no. A normal MicroSD will work with a Cyclo as well, not just SDHC. No idea where you're getting that information from.

Anyway, yeah, the problem is she switched the save type to alternative. Alternative save means the save files are created in a different folder to the rom. Just switch it back to normal and you'll be alright.

Niteblood

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
also, ensure that the save files are named the same way as they are on the Cyclods
I am not sure if this problem would affect R4 saves, but with supercard ds one, the saves are named something different.
something like CHRONO~1.SAV
wheras cyclods needs something like Chrono Trigger.sav

also
Alternative = saves are created/loaded from x:\SAVES where x is your sd card
Regular = saves are created/loaded in whatever folder you have your nds files
e.g. if you store your games in x:\nds that is where your saves are, if your games are in x:\ thats where your saves are.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jessicarabbit said:
I used a micro sd card with the R4 and we're using the exact same card with the cyclo ds. I am going to buy extra sd cards so I should buy the hc type? The reason I didn't buy them with the cyclo is because we were just planning to use the same ones we were already using. I am planning to get the 4 gb.

I looked at hc means high capacity of 4 gb or greater. So I'll just get a 4 gb micro sd card. Since we have kingston now I'll just buy that brand again, I guess.
seems like u need help still have you read the manual?

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read some of the manual-I haven't read it all yet. I did print it out because I'm more likely to read it that way. So far though, my two have had no more problems. My oldest is still using her R4. She's stubborn. I haven't ordered those 4 gb cards yet but I am probably going to do that soon.

sgand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey jessica, I remember you asking awhile back which place to order Cyclo's from. Where did you end up buying them at?

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought them from realhotstuff.com. They came fast-I ordered on Feb 23rd (late in the afternoon) and we got them on the 28th. I'm pretty happy with that.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jessicarabbit said:
I've read some of the manual-I haven't read it all yet. I did print it out because I'm more likely to read it that way. So far though, my two have had no more problems. My oldest is still using her R4. She's stubborn. I haven't ordered those 4 gb cards yet but I am probably going to do that soon.
well you can go to newegg.com to get the memory cards. although if you want value for your dollar then get the 8gb cards

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can the cyclo ds use any size cards (I know that people had trouble with anything bigger than 2 gb on the R4)? If so maybe I wil just get the 8 gb. thanks for the newegg info - I'm a regular customer there. Unfortunately.

Triban

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

This problem recently appear to me, and I solved him by deleting the CycloDS repertory (ms0:/CycloDS). Oh, don't forget of backing up your skin.

Sorry for my bad English, i'm just a French :')

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool