Which Wii2HDMI should I buy?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by WiiCube_2013, Oct 19, 2013.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I'm using a Wii BC-NGC and the picture quality for NGC/Wii games looks very blurry and for a while I've been aware of the Wii2HDMI which makes the picture quality look much better but which of the two?

There's the Wii2HDMI and the Wii2HDMI FullHD, are they the same thing?

Information and links below to both of them. I just don't want to buy one slightly pricier than the other and get the same I'd get from the "Normal".

The reason I'm using Wii is because of the BC-NGC and the Wii U isn't although apparently the games are playable through the SD Card slot but I prefer to buy the physical copies.

Normal WiiHDMI
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310620176078?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Wii2HDMI FullHD:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wii-to-HD...Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item565bebf7b3

Thanks!

2. qaz00

qaz00 ORG 0x0

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2010
    If you have a TV with component input, get a Wii component cable and set the Wii to output in 480p. This will produce the best quality output the Wii is capable of.

The Wii2HDMI adapters are just active component to HDMI adapters with a Wii AV plug for the input, and will yield the same picture quality as using component from the Wii.

Hielkenator likes this.
  3. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    I accually own a wii 2 hdmi.
    I went back to component.
    Jaggies are much aparent and sound is very tinny..
    Use component if you have it.

4. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    Why do you need hdmi? Do you have borders around your tv when you use the wii? If you don't, then stick with component, the only reason to use wii2hdmi is for a larger resolution, because personally, it looks worse.

5. M[u]ddy

M[u]ddy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 4, 2009
    Germany
    NRW
    Let me illustrate you, what every cable does:
    Standard Cable: Sends the picture to you TV in 480i. The TV then converts the signal to 480p, because it can't display interleaved signals. This makes the picture more blurry. Then you TV will upscale the picture to 1080p.
    Component Cable: Sends the picture to you TV in 480p. Your TV will then upscale the picture to 1080p.
    Wii2DHMI 480p: Converts the signal to HDMI, but keeps the original resolution. You TV will then upscale the picture to 1080p. This Adapter could be useful if you TV doesn't have a component input. It's also cheaper than most component cables.
    Wii2DHMI 720p/1080p: Converts the signal to HDMI and upscales it to you TV resolution. I would let the TV handle the upscaling, because it's very unlikely that a cheap adapter is better at upscaling than your TV.

GoodCookie88 likes this.
  6. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    The reason why it's either Wii2HDMI or the normal TV cable is simple: My Samsung LED doesn't have the ports for component cable.

I guess I'll eventually order this but for now I'll just use the standard TV cable.

Thanks guys!

7. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    If you have the chance get a Wii U, it outputs native 1080p signal to your TV, so no need your TV makes any fancy upres. I told you the difference is dramatic, bright colors, more sharp image, correct video aspect for VC games, and "HDMI only" options are active on your TV menu.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'll have to chime in with some of the other users - an external scaler will not do a better job than the dedicated one built into your TV, the difference will either be negligable or the quality will actually be worse. Get a set of component cables and let your TV scale the image - that's the best quality you can squeeze out of a Wii. If your TV indeed doesn't have a component input then whatever converter you buy should be fine, just make sure that the converter itself has component input so that it gets the best possible video quality out of the system itself.

9. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Corrected.

If you want excellent upscaling you have to pay a lot. Scaler such as DVDO Edge, XRGB-3, and XRGB-Mini all do fantastic upscaling, but will cost a lot.
    It is NOT native/uprendered 1080p, it is 480p stretched to 1080p. Nintendo clearly stated in its manual that vWii will not provide HD image. Wii U actually is worse than TV upscaling since it does not apply any smoothing filter.

The reason many people say Wii U HDMI port provides excellent video quality is because it is digital signal from source. Analog signal loses fidelity over length, and most people use cheap component cable which provides very little shielding.

10. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    It's 1080p signal, Wii U upsales it from 480p, but your TV still see 1080p signal. I prefer no smoothing filter, I wish to see the image as it was intented by the developer, in fact smooth filters makes image worse (I guess different tates). Wii U output video makes everything brighter-sharper and way less washed out than component.

11. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Which again is not due to 1080p, but due to being a digital signal.

Take a component cable to Wii U and you'll see what I mean (you can push 1080p on Wii U component port).

12. gamecaptor

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

GBAtemp Patron
    gamecaptor is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 22, 2004
    United States
    Hyrule most of the time
  13. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    your better off to get a wiiu that will upscale to 1080p

14. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Seriously?

Is your Samsung LED a TV or a monitor?

15. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    That's like the Wii2HDMI that I've seen on eBay. I guess they're all pretty much the same with minor design changes.

I couldn't then play all of my GameCube games, which I value a lot.

Samsung TV LED.

Here's more info about it: www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE22D5003BWXXU

It was cheap and before finalising the purchase I did research about it, still this one suited me better so I went with it and honestly, I'm happy with it.

16. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    that's what Devolution is for and it works in vwii.

17. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I'm aware of Devolution but I prefer to play NGC games with its original disc and controller.

18. GBA rocks

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013

No cable will solve this, only a CRT TV will, as far as I'm concerned.

19. Carlamcs

Carlamcs Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    I have a new Philips 40PFL4909 *Smart TV* The component (?) cables I have for my wii (the yellow/white/red ones) Do not give me audio or color output on my TV.
    Do I need, or would it work to get the Wii2HDMI cable?
    I don't care about quality of pic.. just that I have one.
    and.. I don't know how to change my wii to 480p (whatever that means).

Attached Files:

20. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    The sound is carried over the separate red/white cables that are also attached to the component cable along with the red/blue/green.