Which was your first console ever?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Missingphy, Jan 24, 2019.

1. bitjacker

bitjacker GBAtemp Disorderly

Jan 23, 2014
    United States
    c64

2. xpoverzion

xpoverzion GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2017
    Gaza Strip
    My first console was the Texas Instruments TI99/4a in 1981. After that it was the Atari 2600. Then the NES. Then Super Nintendo. Then Playstation 2 (skipped N64 and Gamecube). Then it was PS3. Then I took about a 10 year haitus from consoles and mostly played PC games. Then I got back into consoles and bought a Wii U. Hacked the Wii U and had almost every game Nintendo has ever made to date. My last console to date is a PS4 on 5.05.

3. SG911

SG911 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 20, 2017
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    The original Nintendo entertainment system.

4. Rioluwott

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2014
    Mexico
    A Famiclone with a lot of games but i only remember 3
    Super Mario Bros.
    Used to play it a lot but i always lost at level 8-3 never got to see the final level since the console broke
    Circus Charlie
    Mario Bros. but instead Mario and Luigi i played as a red or green Teletubbie
    there where a lot of games on a cartidge and when you took the cartidge there were other games built in, that console made me like the retro games so im grateful
    If we are talking about original consoles then my first console was a GBA with a baseball game i still have it somewhere

5. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    The Joystick 30-in-1. It was probably one of the most worthless plug and play games ever but dude as a four year old I had so much fun.
    Literally half the games were lawn mowing games and Pole Position clones tho

also a picture of it
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

6. ars25

ars25 I like tacos and pie

Oct 21, 2010
    United States
    the world that never was
    My first console was by a technicality was a Snes but, the first console i was able to play was the Nintendo 64. Boy was it fun especially when my family gave me the 3rd party controller with turbo for mario party

Last edited by ars25, Jan 26, 2019
  7. Missingphy
    OP

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    sadly, younger people are getting consoles like the ps4 and dont appreciate old school consoles

8. Bullseye

Bullseye GBAtemp Fan

Feb 22, 2016
    No, this new consoles will be their old school consoles in the years to come. We just saw the start of it. Their feeling will be the same as yours as time goes by..

9. CPG

CPG nom nom nom

GBAtemp Patron
    CPG is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 9, 2016
    Canada
    Some Country with a leaf in the flag
    being only 13, my first console was a PlayStation 2. The first game was Crash Twinsanity.

Man, I love the soundtrack.

10. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Stwert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    Some do, even though my nephew has a Switch and an Xbox One, he loves it when they visit us and he gets to play some of my collection, even back to the Atari 2600.

I’ll grant you, not everyone will. Having being spoiled with today’s realistic 3D worlds. Not everyone will look past the basic graphics of the old systems and just enjoy the gameplay.

11. ryguy2010

ryguy2010 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    My first console was the Colecovision. My grandparents gave it to us for Christmas. I remember playing Q-Bert and Smurfs.

Last edited by ryguy2010, Jan 29, 2019
    elm likes this.
  12. elm

elm GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 20, 2007
    United States
    Colecovision was my favorite console when I was a kid.
    I also loved The Smurfs & Q-Bert, also Donkey Kong played just like the arcade and Jumpman Jr. & Squish'em Sam was my favorites too.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

My first memory of a console in our household was the Artari 2600, I remember playing Pac-Man for hours on that thing. :lol:

13. Stwert

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    Of all the systems I've owned through my life (and still have them all) the ColecoVision is one I never had. But I do want to buy one for my collection, so I keep an eye out for a decent one t a decent price.

14. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    If interested in the Colecovision, do not get the At Games Flashback version (sort of goes without saying). The controls are okay but at least a few games run slow/fast and have garbled audio; I've heard it uses a system on a chip. There was some work to replace the ROM chip to play other games, but AFAIK that's no real generic solution. A shame otherwise because in some ways I prefer the Colecovision to the Atari 2600. :/

elm likes this.
  15. Stwert

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland

Cheers for the heads up. For expanding my system collection I’d never consider anything but the original hardware.

Don’t get me wrong, I do use emulators and occasionally, but that would normally be just if I’m away from home and only take my Switch or Vita with me.

Growing up and having the majority of systems from the 70’s onward, I just don’t think anything compares to playing on the original systems. That’s why I still have all of mine.

Emulation, at least good emulation, on a good system has the potential to do amazing things. Beyond even what the original hardware was capable of. But for me, nothing beats the original hardware, it’s controllers and a good CRT TV. It’s just how they were meant to be.

I do have NES/SNES Minis, PlayStation Classic and the latest AtGames Mega Drive and I’ll probably buy a C64 Mini. But those are just for the sake of collecting (can’t help it ) they’re all still in their boxes, where they’ll likely remain forever.

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  16. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Mother Fucking SEGA Genesis with the Sonic 2 game included; '93, bitches.

Buuttttt, I got Game Gear for my b-day in '94. Sonic Drift.

17. ryguy2010

ryguy2010 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    The Colecovsion was the first system to have the steering wheel (for the game Turbo). Also they made an adapter for playing Atari 2600 games. Atari tried to sue, but failed.

18. Yan3

Yan3 The guy nobody knows

Aug 23, 2018
    Canada
    GameCube with prime 1 and thousand year door

19. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    my uncle got me a nes with stadium events, duck hunt, mike tysons punch out, and the original mario bros when i was extremely young i got a few more games over time, ninja turtles, contra, castlevania, excitebike, battletoads.

20. CORE

CORE 3:16

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    NES Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3.

ELY_M likes this.