which Tennis game is better?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Eclipse01, Jun 14, 2009.

Jun 14, 2009

which Tennis game is better? by Eclipse01 at 6:27 AM (2,246 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. Eclipse01
    OP

Newcomer Eclipse01 Advanced Member

United States
    Grand Slam Tennis Or Virtua Tennis, which game is better with WM+ of course

2. maduin

Member maduin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I prefer GST over VT2009, the shots are easier to do, the artistic style matches my preferences for wii games, much better online play, the m+ is always on by default if it's plugged in (vt2009 you always have to pick m+ before playing). The animations aren't 1:1 but the controls are 1:1 with what shot your character uses.

I usually hate EA games, as they seem rushed or lacking in features, or they rely on marketing to sell the game rather than how good the game actually is. I see Grand Slam Tennis as the best tennis game since Wii Sports Tennis, it seems like a huge evolution to Wii Tennis.

3. shredman

Member shredman GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    GST by a mile!

To those with Grand Slam Tennis Control issues though....

You do need to calibrate your WM+

Hold it steady for 2 seconds about waist high...
    Whenever you hold the racquet (wiimote) steady for 2 seconds it recalibrates - so....

Pick a position in front of your TV/Plasma/Display device (central is good)

NB. This part assumes that you have calibrated your wiimote correctly in the first place through the settings menu...

You make movements from here and to the left and to the right (try not to move too much in either direction)

In between points you must hold the racquet (wiimote) in the ready position in front of you as you had at the start...
    This will mean that you dont let the WM+ recalibrate in the wrong position and...

Thats it!

As far as connecting online - the manual (which I'm sure most of you priates don't have! [​IMG] states that the Wii should be placed
    in a DMZ from your router (this will help connections) and a minimum of 1.5MB/s DSL is required to play this without lag....

The manual also states that you can port forward certain ports but I can't remember which ones they are - its easier just
    to put the Wii in a DMZ. Consult your router manual for details.

Check out this YT vid (by someone on the EA.com forums - bigfunballs to be exact...)

Keeping this in mind (below) might make it easier for you to understand the motions
    (I still use a different grip and it seems to work better for my topspin shots....)

[​IMG]

Use the bottom picture as reference for your ready/recalibrate central position
    (with the wiimote out in front of you and d-pad facing towards the ceiling)

SHREDMAN

4. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    GST by a mile. VT09 plays like a game with motion controls added in as a gimmick. GST plays like a game developed FOR motion controls.

5. Covarr

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    Without MotionPlus, GST wins easily. VT's default controls reek.
    With MotionPlus, VT is far superior IMO.

Of course, it'd be wise to wait for a new Tennis game in the future, once devs have gotten more used to MotionPlus. A Mario Tennis developed with M+ in mind would be awesome.

6. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I sure hope they make another Tennis game that uses the WM+ better then GST/VT soon...
    I can't make up my mind which one to buy now, they both seem to be rather bad.

7. bytor

Member bytor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Have only tried GST so far and quite like the artstyle, only managed to score a couple of points so far but have got a few rallies going already. I haven't been helped by having my mad 3 month old kitten clawing her way up my leg whilst playing though lol. [​IMG]

There's a definite learning curve though, but I could see myself getting better the more games I played. And the two 50% marks on Metacritic are way off the mark.

I've only one complaint with MotionPlus so far, the two pices of plastic at the bottom by the expansion port that fit into the rubber cover get in the way when using a wireless nunchuck. Am going to have to cut them off and void my warranty which is a pain in the arse. [​IMG]

8. joinx

Newcomer joinx Advanced Member

Mauritius
    i tried virtua tennis..i think it's better than others...graphic at least is better..

9. bytor

Member bytor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    After a bit more practise I've now started to win sets but still haven't won a game yet. Tried Virtua Tennis and it's easier to play but Grand Slam Tennis 'feels' right if that makes any sense.

10. alucard77

Member alucard77 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thanks for this. This should help, but this is a bit rediculous. Dumb design. It's like they didn't test this. So when I play with a friend, I have to always explain to them they need to go to the center position? That is retarded. Good job EA [​IMG]

11. angelus73

Newcomer angelus73 Newbie

United Kingdom
    GST for me, once you get the controls they work really well. Can't get on with VT 2009, it doesn't seem as responsive. The issues noted on GST are a bit over the top in some reviews. I would say more than 95% of the shots I hit are created well, on the odd occasion it does get its knickers in a twist but its easy to fix, just not mid rally.

12. alucard77

United States
    OK, how could anyone say that GST is worth anything. The game is garbage, rubbish or whatever other escrament your country uses as slang.

The problem is that it constantly recalibrates. My player is more far from center then anything else. ALL THE TIME. I understand centering, but this is rediculous.

I played like 10+ matches, and the whole time I was focusing on centering. 5 out of every 10 times the guy was not centered. Not to mention that if I am trying to setup a shot, my arm is out (winding up for the shot). Guess what, this thing recalibrates and as soon as I move a little bit, it assumes a swing.

This is the worst example of WM+ I have ever seen. When my player is calibrated correctly, I could see how this could be good. But it is calibrated incorrectly WAYYYY to often.

Oh, also, this thing doesn't really recognize swing mechanics. The guy swings and I am not even swining yet. Most likely due to the calibration problem. But why play a game where you are struggling with the controls. That's not the purpose of playing.

13. angelus73

Newcomer angelus73 Newbie

United Kingdom
    So the game is garbage because you are crap at it, nice one mate! Had very few times where its hangs. I sense user error here!

14. alucard77

United States
    Really, user error to have to be back at center all the time, and wait there. Then the player points forward, only 50% of the time.

If I was the only one, I would say, ok, it's user error. But so far, you and 2 other people "understands" how the designers designed this game to work.

Like I said, when the player is centered, I could see the fun in this. But if 1/2 the time I need to focus on centering and calibrating, it takes away any fun.

And do you really want to tell me this thing recognizes wind up mechanics. Googling a review of the game, the first thing I found, the guy had the same complaints as me.

15:3 Complaints vs. Fun is not user error. 1:15 is user error.

[Edit] OK, so I tried this again. I don't know what this "2 Second" calibration is supposed to be. But I noticed that when I hit the ball and follow through, the character faces the direction of the follow through after the shot. Even I default back to the center location. So this thing is either not calibrating, or it's not taking the 2 seconds to calibrate to the proper location. It calibrates at the last place you stayed still in.

I don't care what you guys say, this game is buggy as shit. If it wasn't for tw10, I would probably be like the people some one in this thread spoke about. I would probably try to return my WM+ thinking their is something wrong with it. I am surprised you guys can't admit to the fact that recalibrating is not how this game should have been designed.

15. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Should you have to recalibrate? No. Is it hard to? No. If you're not slow as all shit can you recalib nearly every time? Yes. Once you get to used to it is it even noticable? No.

16. alucard77

United States
    Are you using 3.2 or 4.0 on your wii?

I wonder if that makes any difference with he calibration. Mine does not calibrate correctly and I am on 3.2U.

17. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    3.1u here.

18. alucard77

United States
    Well maybe there is an issue with my M+. I doubt it though, it is fine in TW10, and is fine in the frisbee game.

It's too frustrating playing this and losing points due to a bad control system.

19. alucard77

United States
    [Edit]

OK, so now I understand GST Tennis. The game is good. The controls are good, but you gotta play them for a while to get the hang of them. Here are some tips:

- First of all, try the game without the M+. Get use to that first. Play a good couple of matches. Then throw in the M+.
    - Grip the remote with 2 hands instead of 1 hand to limit your motions. This will help you aim better to where you are hitting. Get use to that first, and you can then move on to one hand.
    - Don't rely on your character. The character is not 1:1 with your actions.
    - You can do your swing before the ball gets to you. Your character will mimic your moves AFTERWARD. This took a while to figure out.
    - Jump back to a central position as mentioned in the video as soon as you finish your motion. Failure to do so will mess up your next shot.

If you been reading this thread you will see that I was really against this game. But I kept giving it a chance. Once you get how it plays (a good hour at least I will say), you'll really like it.

The funny thing is that I had to play VT09 to try this again. VT09 is a joke compared to this. The game has this dumb shot indicator, and the game becomes more of when to swing your wiimote to line up with the shot indicator, then actually responding to the ball and sending it in the correct direction. Not to mention the 1:1 in that game is horrible. HORRIBLE. In one example I was in a back hand stance and the character was in a fore hand stance. When I swung backhand, the character swung forehand.

The best way to describe VT09 is like this. Instead of you hitting the A button on a slide bar to make the ball go left and right, you flick the wiimote. They could have easily just done a button instead of the wiimote. The M+ is useless in that game in my opinion. Very disappointing since I always liked the VT franchise. But realistically, I think you would need to be in amazing shape to play through VT09 with all those practice sessions and the such. Maybe thats why they did the lame controls. If you get tired, you can keep playing. If VT09 had GST tennis controls, you would pass out from exhaustion.

So long review shortened:
    GST is good. Not great. If you play it for a good hour and take my tips, you should enjoy it. The game still needs to refine itself a bit with all the calibration, because I think some of these initial frustrations would go away. But overall, it is enjoyable. VY09 is garbage control wise. There is no difference between clicking the A to swing or flicking your wrist. It's just the timing on the slide bar. That is the whole game, timing on the slide bar.

Hopefully the next iterations should be better of both games. The wireless nunchuck is a must for this, so I think I will go and pick one up. The wired nunchuck is to ackward to use. But to be able to move around should add the additional depth both these games need.

I hope this helps, and I apologize for being a naysayer prior to this.

20. Snave2008

Member Snave2008 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    alucard77 - If you had a shot indicator when you were playing VT you didn't have motion plus enabled.

When you pick your controller you actually have to activate motion plus. You'll know that you have it enabled because you have to point at your player before each shot.