Which Sonic generation are you?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Canonbeat234, Dec 11, 2008.

Dec 11, 2008
  1. Canonbeat234
    OP

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    I know some people who had played Sonic since the Genesis and some of theme have played Sonic during the 3D era. No matter what the outcome is you can be sure they might be a lot of Sonic fans over this forums or not.

Reason:

Let's face it, Sonic the Hedgehog that the retros use to know and love is getting bad reputation from them! Sonic wasn't only about speed, how the mighty has fallen and now the only way this spiky blue freak can stay alive is being inside some very awful games like Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic Shuffle. It doesn't matter what toxic waste SEGA spew at us, the newer generation will gabble it up like candy and realize that Sonic is cooler than way he is now. Some of us just quit playing Sonic games ever since the Dreamcast died, most of them still continue to play them till this day.

I actually want to know which Sonic generation you have came from? The Genesis Era or The Dreamcast Era or Beyond (You know when the Dreamcast died and everything started to go down hill)

Example:

I'm from the Genesis Era, sadly. Ever since SEGA decided to make Sonic go into the 3D world, the level designs had started to become bland and lifeless to me. The only Sonic game I had played and enjoyed as far as this generation goes was Sonic and the Secret Rings for the Nintendo Wii. It was going into the right direction however, I can't believe till this day how lazy SEGA have gotten over the years with the mascot.

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    16 bit Sonic > Any other.

The only 3D game that is enjoyable for me was Unleashed and that was spoilt by useless Werehog levels.

3. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Genesis generation. My friend used to have Sonic 1 and I went over to play it from time to time.

4. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    First things: Sonic the Hedgehog, first release for the Genesis will always be one of those classic games in my heart. I loved that game. The first time i heard a person talk ("SAY-GAH!") on a console video game was on Sonic. So many memories.

But this part, i must contest:
    Yes he WAS, though! And that's the thing. When the first game came out, it WAS speed. There was such a sense of moving so overly fast, that you have just jump and hope you'll hit a platform (and not a spike). That was decently portrayed in Sonic Adventure 2 in a few instances, but other than that. Sonic has been SHIT.

They need to go back to speed. JUST speed. Give me that feel that i'm in control, but at any second, i could hit ANYTHING.
    Then i might be happy (with a sonic game again... not with life in general [​IMG])

[​IMG]

5. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I was introduced to Sonic with Sonic 2 on Master System if I remember it right [​IMG] But when I played Sonic 1 for Mega Drive and then Sonic 2 I realized I hadn`t played the real deal before. And with S3+K SEGA really maximised Sonic! That games could never be best by any other Sonic game... The Gameplay, the grafics and the music.... IMO One of the best games of all time for sure!

But I really like the most Sonic 3D games as well, such as SA, SA2, SatSR, and SU (I guess SH was OK as well but StH was just not Sonic). I remember when I first saw SA for DC: It looked so amazing and it was so fast... I loved it!

I guess if SEGA wouldn`t had to add the Werehog to SU that game had the potential to revive Sonic, because the daytime stages were just amazing and the drift and sidestep mechanics really enhanced the experience (but thats the mainproblem in most Sonic 3D games)...

EDIT:
    As far as I know Yuji Naka intention was to create a game with fluent plattforming-mechanics, were you wouldn`t have to stop. That`s why they canned the crapping (which was used for Ristar instead) and added the spin-jump, so that you would be able to atack enemies without being forced to slow down. But you can clearly see in Sonic1, that plattforming was a big part as well [​IMG]

6. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    The first Sonic-game I played was Sonic Advance, my first GBA game. I loved it, and I decided to buy Sonic Adventure 2 as well. That game was awesome, as long as you stayed inside the Sonic/Shadow levels.

At the same time I was exploring emulators, and I discovered Gens and the Sonic games on Mega Drive. I liked Sonic the Hedehog, I loved Sonic 2 and I couldn't get enough of Sonic CD and Sonic 3! I still have a MegaDrive hooked up to my TV to play Sonic 3 every now and then.

So I guess I'm both generations really...

Sonic Advance 2 and 3 sucked. I don't know why, but I couldn't get myself to play them after the Mega Drive games. I did like Sonic Advance though. I played to Sonic Adventure DX, 2 and Sonic Heroes as well. They were alright, but not as good as the old 2D Sonic games
    I got Shadow the Hedgehog as well. I guess it was alright, but everything they added was lame...

I loved Sonic Rush. It was completely different, but completely awesome as well! I bought it (even though I have a flashcart) and I still have to play it for the second time... Sonic Rush Adventures was not as good, but it was still a great game.

Sonic and the Secret Rings was pretty good, I liked it! Not perfect at all, but enjoyable and one of the best 3D Sonic games ever created in my opinion.

Finally, Sonic Unleashed. I'm playing through it at the moment. I kinda like it, but the Werehog levels keep coming and it ruins the game really. It's not that they're neccessarily bad, they're just really boring and repetative. They should have left them out. I'm looking forward to Sonic and the Black Knight more. I hope it won't have the same effect as Shadow the Hedhog: add some lame additions to a nice game...

7. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    oh yeah sonic 1 FTW!!!

8. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Hadrian speaks the truth. The hedgehog levels in Unleashed are really really good... But the werehog and overworld is total bullshit (complete and utter). I still think the reviews are far too harsh though, as SEGA are probably crying somewhere and will ditch the great Hedgehog engine.

Personally I grew up with Sonic starting on Game Gear (Sonic 1), then Mega Drive, then all the sequels and spin-offs... Fantastic games. I still play them! I think at one time I actually owned every single Sonic game before the 3D ones on all major consoles (except Neo Geo).

Have played the majority of 3D Sonic titles and the only ones I really liked were Sonic R (I love that game) and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, although they weren't brilliant.

9. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    sonic should have stayed on the sega genisis

10. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    I loved Sonic from genesis so much it was the best.

11. Rod

Member Rod GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I still remember opening up the Sega Mega Drive box and finding the Sonic 2 cartdrige in there. It's burned into my mind. I was 3 year old at that time. [​IMG]

12. Upperleft

Member Upperleft Namcoholic

United Arab Emirates
    The first Sonic game i played was the first Genesis game
    THOSE were badass.. the last Sonic game i reeeeeally enjoyed was Sonic Advance 3

13. Canonbeat234
    OP

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    I'm glad some of you remember the glory days of SEGA.

14. Warren_303

Member Warren_303 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [quote name='Rod' date='Dec 11 2008, 11:36 AM' post='1624839'
    I still remember opening up the Sega Mega Drive box and finding the Sonic 2 cartdrige in there. It's burned into my mind. I was 3 year old at that time. [​IMG]
    [/quote]

Same here, except I was 13. I played the crap outta that game, beat it over and over again.

I could never get all of the Chaos Emeralds though so I used the Golden Sonic cheat/Level select. I still remember it to this day, sound test number 19 65 9 17 press and hold a press start and start the game while holding a still. At level select sound test numbers 4 1 2 6 hold a press start. and start the game while holding a again. Collect 50 rings and jump! Golden Sonic time! lol

Sonic games are very good. I enjoy the old ones and as mentioned Unleashed is my new fav.

15. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Funny you say that Sonic's about speed. The most common complaint about Sonic Advance 2 was that you could "hold right to win." Everything's zipping by so fast that it doesn't even matter. What's the point? The few things you can interact with are only gonna slow you down anyway.

The Genesis Sonics were faster than, say, Mario yes, but it was still a platformer. Sure, you had some craaaaaaaaazy things like ramps and loops along with the platforming, but there were enough stretches where you could just run to your heart's content, until you get to the next obstacle or whatnot.

This is one of the problems I had with Sonic CD (yes, I had a problem with this oft-worshipped game!). You had to run for so long in one direction to warp to the different time periods. Though each time period for any given act was slightly different, one would rarely be able to see all three forms of the stage in their entirety. This is further impacted in that two things you had to find by exploring (the seed container and the hologram of Metal Sonic kicking a squirrel) are rendered null and void simply by winning in each of the Special Stages, and someone skilled enough could easily just have permanent Good Future as early as Quartz Quadrant 1. Sure, two different means to the same goal, but most people don't even realize a point to these two things you find in the Past.

Sonic should be fast, yes. Not blindingly fast like the later handhelds (and especially the Rush titles) have made, but still pretty damn quick. It's like, what if Mirror's Edge 2D was made with Sonic in mind? Sure, he's a lot slower when used in place of Faith, but that's how I've always imagined him getting around. Sonic as a ninja or the like, using the environment as his playground.

...man, now I wish Mirror's Edge was Sonic first-person. D:

16. toastert2003

Member toastert2003 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Definately from the Genesis generation, haven't actually played a Sonic game on anything else.

17. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Megadrive generation here too........ and then some lol

BUT my all time favourite Sonic incarnation is SONIC R on the gorgeous Sega Saturn.

18. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I'm mostly an oldschool Genesis Sonic fan, but I did like the Sonic Advance series as well since it had the 16 bit gameplay elements with few new innovations. I remember spending night after night playing Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles almost nonstop when I was younger. Sonic CD was ok but not the best in gameplay, but since I had the Japanese version, I loved the calming music and still do. The Rush titles were ok and quite enjoyable, but when it comes to 3D Sonic no, it's gone to the pit after Sonic Heroes. Sonic Adventure was ok though but any 3D Sonic game before Sonic Adventure and after Sonic Heroes is terrible (I'm counting 3D blast but it's quite debatable if it's 3D or not).

19. Rod

Member Rod GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I still do it from time to time!
    Whenever I'm bored, I start it up and go all the way to the finish. On PC, on the DS, on a PS2 emulator... [​IMG]

20. Dark

Member Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I started playing sonic in the genesis when I was 6 i think.