Which Slot-1 Flash card?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Teny, Aug 29, 2009.

Aug 29, 2009

Which Slot-1 Flash card? by Teny at 8:11 AM (1,911 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. Teny
    OP

Member Teny GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hello, Sorry if this is posted at the wrong section or there was an post telling me which one.
    I am thinking of getting an DS lite, and an flash card along with it. But there are so many selections, I don't know which one to choose. There are 3 that I heard are great. The R4, Acekard 2.1 and CycloDS. If there is an better one, then please tell me. The things I am looking for are homebrew compatibility, ROM compatibility (future and present), and durability. Of course cheaper is better.
    Currently I am aiming towards an R4 (I will try to find an original one before I buy). I was looking at the Acekard, but I saw the flash card SLOT-1 comparison between those 2 (don't know how outdated they are), but the R4 pulled through. My brother got an R4 recently which I am sure is one of the original and paid $30, and it came with an 2GB toshiba miniSD (shipped from Europe I think). I would go for the CycloDS, but it would be around $60 (shipping with miniSD), which is a bit pricey if the other flash cards can do the same, but unless you guys really recommend it (or found an legit site that will sell one legit (with or without miniSD) for cheaper), then I will consider it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    That is extremely old afaik. [​IMG] Do you need the extra capabilities of the Cyclo? If not don't get it and get an Acekard. You might consider an EDGE as well. Note: Its micro sd not mini sd. Go gamebygame.com or realhotstuff.com for fast shipping to US or dealextreme.com if you don't mind the long wait. R4s are pretty outdated minus unofficial firmware. Other cards such as the M3 is good too if you want in between (depends how you think in between is)

3. Teny
    OP

United States
    Haha, sorry about the typo of the microSD.
    What features does the CycloDS offer? I pretty much want to run basic homebrew, durability (one that will last me at least half a year), and current and future ROM support.

4. BoxShot

United States
    Real time save, real time guide, real time cheats.

5. Teny
    OP

United States
    Yeah, those extras would be useless for me too.
    Acekard 2i is compatible with the DS lite too right? Which one would be better for an DS lite?
    And about buying the MicroSD cards (thinking of buying them separately), is there anything I should look for to ensure compatibility?

6. BoxShot

United States
    Get at least a 4gb micro sd or more for your needs [​IMG] I'd recommend you get at least a class 4, class 6 is better. Yes the 2i is compatible with the lite. I don't know which would be better exactly but if you ever plan to get a dsi go for the 2i.

7. Teny
    OP

United States
  8. BoxShot

United States
    Dunno really I use a Japanese Kingston 4gb class 4 micro sd. I haven't tried the games that could cause crashes besides twewy but I can just use the close/open lid trick.

9. Teny
    OP

United States
    Then should I just get the MicroSD along with the flash card as a bundle?
    What card does Real Hot Stuff give with it's bundle? The 4GB bundle costs $31, and the regular costs $19. But if I chose the regular, and adding an 4GB, its going to be $39. So it's $8 cheaper with the bundle, is there a reason? or do they just give you an cheaper MicroSD?

10. Zantom07

Newcomer Zantom07 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Bundles cost less because of less packaging. The reason being they put the microSD into the cart itself before shipping rather than sending the cart and the microSD.

11. Teny
    OP

United States
    I see. Well, which one do you think I should order?

RealHotStuff - Acekard 2 + 4 GB microSD Bundle - $31 +$4 shipping (USPS first class) from NJ to CO

GamebyGame - AceKard v2.1 + 4gb Combo + GBG Screen Protector and a free charm - $36 (Free shipping 5-7 days, or $4.99 for rush 2-3) CA to CO

So they both would cost about the same considering I would get getting a screen protector anyways. Which one would you guys go with? Also, these sites don't sell fake microSD or flash cards right? I am getting tired of buying mem sticks that die out within a month because it's fake.
    Thank You.

EDIT - is there a site that tells me what Rom or homebrew is fully compatible (or not) with the flash cards?

12. WiiThoko

Member WiiThoko GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would say go with RealHotStuff. I ordered from them once, and everything went perfectly, no fake SD card or anything.

13. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    Don't go with the SD card combos. You can easily get the same Micro SD from Newegg for about 1/2 the price and usually free shipping.

14. Teny
    OP

United States
    I asked RealHotStuff what card they supplied with the combo, and they said the standard Sandisk 4GB.

Like that Kingston 4GB I posted above? I would go for it, but the only free shipping method is the egg saver, and that usually takes months to arrive. The only way to get free shipping with UPS would be if I were to buy something that makes the total weight weigh more than the egg saver maximum weight. It's only about $2-$3 more, so I think I would go with the combo. They would come at the same time, and I don't have to keep track on both products.

15. Todderbert

Member Todderbert GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've ordered from gamebygame, they are very fast(2 days from Cali to Chicago) and everything is packed well.
    Check out these:
    Acekard 2.1i http://www.gamebygame.com/index.php?target...roduct_id=29817
    Edge http://www.gamebygame.com/index.php?target...roduct_id=29813

Just remember you can get the same setup for half the price by ordering from Dealextreme and newegg for the memory, but like you said there is some waiting involved.

16. Teny
    OP

United States
    Gamebygame told me that the bundle comes with an Sandisk too. So I guess they both are about the same. Looks like I will be getting one soon along with an DS lite.
    Should I really get the Acekard 2i? especially since I don't plan on getting an 2i unless the DS lite broke, and they weren't selling them anymore.

17. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    Teny,
    ak2i is just slightly a few bucks extra!
    anyway, just get whatever that suits your budget
    remember, we can't predict what would happen in future [​IMG]

18. Teny
    OP

United States
    Yeah, the 2i is only $5 more than the 2.1, but if they perform exactly the same, then it would be better to get the 2.1 IMO.
    But I will still consider getting the 2i, would be nice if something happened, and I ended up getting an DSi, then I wouldn't have to buy an new flash card. I want an DS lite because of the backwards compatibility and I like the Crimson Red color (it's exactly the same color as my PSP case along with my red PSP [​IMG] )

Thank you everyone that helped, and if I have more questions, I will ask.
    Are we allowed to double post btw?

19. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    double post? NO
    is always better you edit your post [​IMG]

20. Todderbert

Member Todderbert GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Remember that gamebygame has free shipping.