1. medic3000

OP medic3000 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ubuntu with Dolphin? Ubuntu with Ishiiruka? Lakka w/ Dolphin core? (am I missing any?)

I want the best framerate on zelda games, but havent seen a general consensus on which route is the best for performance

2. Venegas55

Venegas55 Newbie
    Newcomer

Mexico
    i have the same question with n64... i try to play oldschool mario party 2 with my sister but fps are crappy (even with full OC), and over time it freezes so we can't even finish a full game... Im using retroarch launched from HBmenu with full ram.

Edit: didnt even know dolphin was a thing on the switch.... is it posible to play wii games like wario ware smooth moves? my sister and i would love the nostalgia hehehe

3. medic3000

OP medic3000 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I've seen Wario Ware run well, but 3D Wii games seem to be absolutely no-go currently, expect 10-15fps on something like Skyward sword

Venegas55 likes this.
  4. Venegas55

Venegas55 Newbie
    Newcomer

Mexico
    So, which would be the method to play wario ware on switch? i only know how to use retroarch hehehe

5. medic3000

OP medic3000 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ive seen it on ubuntu but if you havent got any experience with it watch videos. its more involved

6. Venegas55

Venegas55 Newbie
    Newcomer

Mexico
    so i should search runing ubuntu on switch!

7. Waicol

Waicol Member
    Newcomer

Afghanistan
    i tried Lakka and Android, and Lakka wins hands down, the issue is that you can't play it while docked. Android needs some tinkering (cfg files for every game) and the interface is not gamepad friendly, at least on the android version of dolphin i use. Lakka on the other hand is plug and play and just needs overclock to get good framerates.

Also lakka's footprint and overhead is pretty small so it's less prone to hangs and crashes while playing.

Last edited by Waicol, Sep 23, 2020
  8. banner88

banner88 Member
    Newcomer

Doesn't lakka have significant issues with not being able to sleep?

9. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    N64 = Android, the standalone mupenfz is much better than other options.
    Dolphin = Ubuntu. For most gamecube it wont matter too much, as plenty get full speed with all 3. Android you do need to choose the right builds of dolphin.
    For Wii emulation, Ubuntu gets higher fps. Most games won’t reach full speed though on any platform though.

10. Venegas55

Venegas55 Newbie
    Newcomer

Mexico
    so i can run android on my switch like a.... tablet or a phone? geeeesus! i need to read a shitload more xD

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Neither. There is a fork called Dolphin MMJ that is supposed to perform better (on Android), I didn't notice much difference though.
    Android is much better suited to the Switch too, since it's already touch optimized and the sticks and buttons work as dpad/confirm/back/home etc.

12. medic3000

OP medic3000 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    isnt one of the drawbacks the fact that Joycons arent natively supported though? instead its just a b.tooth controller right? depending on which version of Android bluetooth support is hit/miss

also can you link any android guides/tutorials for me? and is there an ability to alter CPU clock easily with android?

13. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    Yeah, having to pair them every time you boot into Android is a bit of a hassle, it works well though. When they release Pie, it should support wired connection and auto pairing.
    There's a setting to change the CPU/GPU clock.

14. CPG

CPG lil darkie is a good rapper

Canada
    did you try out overclocking the switch on retroarch?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

nvm i cant read

15. xbmcuser

xbmcuser GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    whichever otion you go for the most important is that you have the fastest SD card the switch can handle.
    Gamecube game do lots of Disk i/o, it make a dfiferemce on the card you use. I recommend a U3

16. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    Switch will not take advantage of U3 (seen U1 cards that can do like 80MB/s read and that is still faster than the Switch can take advantage of)
    Not sure what the difference is in maximum write speed between U1 and U3 so there might be some advantage to U3 but that's not going to benefit you in emulators or in mostly anything, nsp install speeds seem to be bottlenecked by other factors and otherwise you're mostly dealing with read operations. A more important thing is to get a card with A1 rating since that ensures the IOPS/random access is better for running an OS off of.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Sep 24, 2020
  17. ShroomKing

ShroomKing Somebody

United States
    MMJ Dolphin on Android Pie works great for GC games. You just have to compile android yourself cuz people don't want to share "pre-release" builds for whatever reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - performance, currently, provides