aZnXrAvEr

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I just found out about the Wlip in the 'wii officially hacked' topic... Now I really want to get one when it comes out! But I don't know which modchip I should use with it. I don't want to do any soldering, so the Wiikey and the Cyclowiz is out of the list.

On the Wlip site, they list a bunch of modchips with socket:
-Wiinja
-Wiimod
-Wiiskas
-OpenWii
-Wiifree
-YAOSM

I'm thinking of getting a Wiinja Deluxe because I haven't even heard of the other ones, but is it a good modchip? Is there another modchip on the list that's better than the Wiinja?

Nullkill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't really matter; they all work the same way... I'd suggest just getting a chip and installing openwii on it though; rather than paying 40$ for the same PIC that someone else programs.

James B.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but you do have to buy a chip reprogrammer, and constantly clip and unclip to update.. I'm personally going to get a Wiinja when the Wlip comes out. It has full region free on NTSC consoles :], and is updgradable by DVD (along with some other open source PICs?).

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plan on buying a WLip as soon as I can then build me a programmer and put an OpenWii flashed chip in then.
Best solution I think.
Cheaper too.

Though building a programmer is a bit harder for me.
Id love to find a cheap USB programer solution.

Its too bad the Wiip V2 or whatever it was called got canceled.

Anyone know of any OpenWii kits being sold out there? For us lazy poeple.

Edit:
QUOTE said:
but you do have to buy a chip reprogrammer, and constantly clip and unclip to update.. I'm personally going to get a Wiinja when the Wlip comes out. It has full region free on NTSC consoles :], and is updgradable by DVD (along with some other open source PICs?).

I beleive the OpenWii software is upgradable via DVD like everything else these days. Though reflashing has its benifits too.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, whats so good about the OpenWii? Other than the price of it. I think I'd rather get the Wiinja instead of making my own.

The price and that its open source.
With open source you have a few options left if the programers of the software decide to drop it and disapear.
You can code it yourself or wait till someone else picks it up.
Some poeple feel safer with such a thing.

Its really all a matter of personal choice, but I think its the best one to use with a Wlip since it pretty much maximizes your options.

Though buying a prebuilt, Id say go with the Wiinja. You can always pull the chip out later if you dont like it.

Oh and I YAOSM is an opensource project like OpenWii too I beleive, though I dont think the two differ too much.

Now if only they could make a Wlip with a longer cord so I could stick the chip part on the back for quick switching and disabling.

paOol

Trophies
XP
Country
if i remember correctly, are PICs only $4? and openwii is free?
how much is a reprogrammer?

the wLip is a pretty good chunk of cash, so i might have to skimp on the modchip.

Edwii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
the WLip only works with the older wiis right? and if thats the case: isn't the d2ckey the only chip that works on the newer wiis? unless we are talking about the older ones right now lol.

and if your wii is older: dont forget about the Wiikey, its done good by me
wink.gif

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd never heard of a Wiiskas before, but I'd get that. Purely because it has the best name, and is also a brand of catfood.

InfernoZeus

Trophies
Website
radakan.org
XP
Country
Wow, I just found out about the Wlip in the 'wii officially hacked' topic... Now I really want to get one when it comes out! But I don't know which modchip I should use with it. I don't want to do any soldering, so the Wiikey and the Cyclowiz is out of the list.

If you don't want to do any soldering, you have to use one of the modchips which are on an 8-pin PIC microcontroler, such as the WiiFree or YAOSM. Other modchips, such as OpenWii, have installation guides for multiple chips (Atmel Atmega8, Atmel ATtiny / AT90S, Microchip PIC 675 & 629 and TI MSP430), but make sure you choose the correct chip to use with the Wlip.

Apparently Wiifree development has ceased and the developers suggest that "YAOSM is the spiritual successor to WiiFree and should be used instead". [Source]

but you do have to buy a chip reprogrammer, and constantly clip and unclip to update.. I'm personally going to get a Wiinja when the Wlip comes out. It has full region free on NTSC consoles :], and is updgradable by DVD (along with some other open source PICs?).

I think most of these open source solutions now have the option to upgrade via DVD.

Hmm, whats so good about the OpenWii? Other than the price of it. I think I'd rather get the Wiinja instead of making my own.

Its really all a matter of personal choice, but I think its the best one to use with a Wlip since it pretty much maximizes your options.

Though buying a prebuilt, Id say go with the Wiinja. You can always pull the chip out later if you dont like it.

Oh and I YAOSM is an opensource project like OpenWii too I beleive, though I dont think the two differ too much.

Now if only they could make a Wlip with a longer cord so I could stick the chip part on the back for quick switching and disabling.
I think most of the good open source solutions have roughly the same capabitlities and features, so it is just a personal choice. If you go for the Wiinja (which isn't open source) and they stop development, you're screwed.

QUOTE(Edwii @ Jan 1 2008, 09:20 AM)
the WLip only works with the older wiis right? and if thats the case: isn't the d2ckey the only chip that works on the newer wiis? unless we are talking about the older ones right now lol.

and if your wii is older: dont forget about the Wiikey, its done good by me
wink.gif
The Wlip currently only works with the DMS/D2A/D2B chipsets. According to the FAQ on the English Wlip website, the Wlip team is working on another model which will work with the D2C chipset. So at the moment, the D2Ckey is the modchip that works with the new wii's, I think. However, a lot of people have wii's with the older chipsets.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1