Hacking Which Mod Chip?

Mr.Guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I should lurk more but I cant seem to find an answer. I opened my Wii and found out that my chips code is GC2 - D1. My Wii is NTSC and I have had it since launch. I want to know what chip is the best and what is compatible with the one I have. If at all possible please tell me witch soulderless would work. Oh and what would be the best place to buy one. I hope you can help me, thanks!

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
The GC1-D1 chip is not the one of interest... it's the other one. If you have a lunch wii, the other will be a GC2-DMS chip.

A good option is the wiikey... easy to install and very stable. You can get a wii-clip which works with these as well if you need a solderless solution.

Look in to ozmodchips or modchip central... It looks like you're in the states, so modchip central would be local-ish.

littlestevie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
your wii will be a GC2-D2A or GC2-DMS (not sure if america got the DMS it seems to be a pal region thing)
which means pretty much every chip except the high wire count patching mods will work on it

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
WiiDrives.com says this about my serial on my Wii:

* There is a 50% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C2 (v2) and the drive has the new metal clip.
* And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2E with the new metal clip.
* Lastly, a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C (v1).

But how do I know which chipset I have for sure, without opening it?
And which modchip should I pick then?

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Satangel said:
WiiDrives.com says this about my serial on my Wii:

* There is a 50% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C2 (v2) and the drive has the new metal clip.
* And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2E with the new metal clip.
* Lastly, a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C (v1).

But how do I know which chipset I have for sure, without opening it?
And which modchip should I pick then?

You can't tell without opening... and even if you do, you won't be able to tell the difference between d2c2 and d2c. It doesn't matter though... just get a wasabi v3 or d2pro9 with d2e sticker... either will work in any of those scenarios.

If you want solderless and are brave enough to use a wiiclip - d2pro9 will be totally solderless, but wasabi will need a single wire soldered.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, I've found this chip:

Solderless D2Pro ModChip D2C2

So that chip would work on my Wii, regardless what the drive is and even if it has the new metal clip?
It should work on it for 100% sure?

didineedthis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.consoletweaks.co.uk
XP
Country
Satangel said:

So that chip would work on my Wii, regardless what the drive is and even if it has the new metal clip?

if you are getting the d2pro9 , then ask for the chip to have 2.3 firmware pre installed for d2c/d2c2

didineedthis

Swip

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Isn't wii-key support pretty much dead?

The Free Clip is another Modchip that will work if you program it with YAOSM (Yet another open-source modchip). Bell (the creator) is still updating it.

Btw, Satangel stop hijacking every mod-chip thread...

Mr.Guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to double post but I have some pictures, don't know if they'll help but heres some. Oh and I don't have any cut pins.

img1637nl2.jpg

img1638wk9.jpg

img1642tu7.jpg

This one shows that I have no number on my drive, so I got this at launch.

biggzsizzle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:

I have the d2Pro 15 wire install, never had a problem!
wink.gif

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
didineedthis said:
Satangel said:

if you are getting the d2pro9 , then ask for the chip to have 2.3 firmware pre installed for d2c/d2c2

didineedthis

But I don't know for sure which drive I have.

And what about the pins, will the D2Pro9 work on it in all cases?

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
All the info is here... Here's a summary so it can end.

DMS/D2A/D2B (without cut legs)

Wiikey, or YAOSM. YAOSM has (arguably) better support, wiikey is more foolproof ('commercial' product).

D2B (Cut legs) D2C / D2C2 / D2E

Wasabi V3 or D2Pro9 D2E version. Either of these will work with ANY DRIVE... even cut leg D2B. They can be used on the early wiis, but cost more and are generally less stable... so I'd recommend an older Wiikey/YAOSM if you can use them.

Mr Guy:
You are photographing the wrong chip... it's the other one the mod chip attaches to. It'll be a GC2-DMS or GC2-D2A because it is launch. No Launch wiis have cut legs, only very late D2B do (ie, second half of 2007). Get a Wiikey, or free-clip with YAOSM.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
You can't... YAOSM runs on PIC microcontrollers, not Atmel...

But with wiikey, you don't need YAOSM... you can just plug it in and it'll work.

If you want YAOSM you can get a free-clip but you have to mess around with programming it. You're better off with WiiKey.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Also another 70TB going in the front mount drive bays of this server. 182tb raw, going to...