Hacking Which microSD card to get?

topicaltapioca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any weekly/daily deals on micro SD cards?

Is it true that to run some or at least one game you need a 4gb or less card?

I had a look at the wiki last week, but it seems out of date and lacking information.

What matters, the class of card? Class 4+ you don't see a difference while playing games or Class 6+?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You could make do with a 2gb card, which is enough to store a nice handful of games.
I've managed 35 gmaes on a 2gb card, but the more space, the better.
For some games to run, it's not the size of the card but the speed.

The Class means the card's write speed, which usually goes hand in hand with the write speed meaning overall better performance and loading times.

Class 4 cards usually have good enough performance for flashcarts, Class 2 sometimes not being adequate.

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/1276...rd/Product.html
I use this, a Samsung Plus, it's performance is excellent, but unfortunately I can't seem to find anywhere that will sell these outside of the UK.

topicaltapioca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, but it doesn't seem to cover what I need, I guess I should ask if there is any difference between a Class 4 and Class 6 performance wise when the card is IN the flash cart? (Or if specific games need a Class 4 or 6+)

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
You could get one from these guys: http://www.microcenter.com/

Cheap house-brand MicroSDs are good... Class 6. 4GB is ~$10

I buy from them all the time
biggrin.gif

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Depends what flashcart really but 2gb should be enough, I use a sandisk 2gb and it's brilliant but every once in a while it needs a format.

Luna

Trophies
XP
Country
Its a 4gb for just under €10.

9.49 EUR = 13.1837 USD

So its cheaper then most Micro SD cards for me as I mostly have to import then resulting over 15€.
And thats the price most of the Micro SD cards costs here for only 4gb. Its just its from Lexar im quetioning.

Edit: @gifi4: I use a SCDS2

X1pheR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought a DSTWO and am going to order an Acekard 2i also for my daughters DSi. I also want to buy a 16GB micro-sd card (I'd rather buy 32GB but still to pricey relative to size I guess, or not?). But the big question is which card should I get? Can anyone comment?

On shoptemp they say they've got new kingston cards (toshiba based maybe) which give good performance. But this is only stated for 8GB and below. The 16GB doesn't say anything about it and also shows only class 2 on the pictures.

From what I've read it's best to minimum get a class 4 or rather 6 that give low access speeds and of course good stable read/write performance. Anyone got tips? I'm in europe, so a site (like shoptemp/dealextreme) with free shipping is preferable.

Thanx for any tips in advance...

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't recommend you get it from ShopTemp. ShopTemp will either ship class 2 or class 4 micro sd. You're best bet is to get it like Amazon. Look for Sandisk or Transcend. Don't get Kingston, there just too many fake Kingston circulating online.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Class don't really matter in flashcart. Class ONLY defines minimum writing speed. While higher class tends to come with higher reading speed, it is not always 100% true.

Sandisk for example has slower writing speed, but its reading speed are very high (even higher to some class 4 or class 6).

topicaltapioca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found a pretty good deal, got a FujiFilm, not sure if it's real or not, and a 1GB fujifilm SD card also for 15.50 usd including shipping, international shipping is less than 3.25 usd also.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
topicaltapioca said:
Found a pretty good deal, got a FujiFilm, not sure if it's real or not, and a 1GB fujifilm SD card also for 15.50 usd including shipping, international shipping is less than 3.25 usd also.
You mean 16GB? Cause 1GB micro SD for $15.50 is not cheap at all. For that price I can get 4GB micro SD.

X1pheR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
trumpet-205 said:
Class don't really matter in flashcart. Class ONLY defines minimum writing speed. While higher class tends to come with higher reading speed, it is not always 100% true.

Sandisk for example has slower writing speed, but its reading speed are very high (even higher to some class 4 or class 6).
Thanks. So I can just get normal Sandisk micro-sd (class 2) card. Thinking logically it does makes sense since the firmware only needs to read the games and somtimes write a small sav file. Only downside would be you can copy your games slower to your micro-sd card I guess?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.