Gaming Which is better PSP Slim or PSP Phat .

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well i might be wanting a PSP to play GBA games and have better video formats etc .

So where should i get it and which one is better ? Maybe a pros and cons list of the 2 PSPs .

And would modding either one have different pricing ?

-Holt

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Difficult to make a list as I have only a Slim, but...

The differences between the two are the Slim's naturally lower size, weight, brighter screen, twice as much RAM compared to the phat, and other smaller cosmetic changes and whatnot.

Though, in terms of homebrew, the phat still has the best compatibility due to it being out longer and more people (generally) having it over the Slim. But I've been fine with all emulators that I've tried apart from the SNES one, so that's not saying a whole lot. I'm pretty sure the Slim also has the TV out support though I may be wrong here. It only goes for...hmm..whichever isn't Red/Yellow/White outputs for TVs. I'm not sure how the GBA emu works, but seeing how I have no need for it, I'm useless here too. =P

To mod either, you should really only need a Pandora battery (either premade or modded), and a memory stick you can turn into a Magic Memory Stick to install custom firmware (CFW). You can use the stick you're going to put games on, as long as that stick is at least 128MB in size as the NAND which you need to back up (and should anyway) takes 66MB, and it'll corrupt your stick if you use a 64 megger. And, you won't need to really need the functionality of the MMS unless something goes horribly and I mean HORRIBLY wrong. Same goes for the Pandora battery too.

We have a couple of still-relevant topics here to get you started on modding. As for pricing, if you do it yourself, the price will be the same for both, but remember that if you get a premodded Slim battery, it will only work in the Slim, whereas the phat battery will work in both models (though on the slim you can't use the battery cover).

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Doomsday Forte said:
Difficult to make a list as I have only a Slim, but...

The differences between the two are the Slim's naturally lower size, weight, brighter screen, twice as much RAM compared to the phat, and other smaller cosmetic changes and whatnot.

Though, in terms of homebrew, the phat still has the best compatibility due to it being out longer and more people (generally) having it over the Slim. But I've been fine with all emulators that I've tried apart from the SNES one, so that's not saying a whole lot. I'm pretty sure the Slim also has the TV out support though I may be wrong here. It only goes for...hmm..whichever isn't Red/Yellow/White outputs for TVs. I'm not sure how the GBA emu works, but seeing how I have no need for it, I'm useless here too. =P

To mod either, you should really only need a Pandora battery (either premade or modded), and a memory stick you can turn into a Magic Memory Stick to install custom firmware (CFW). You can use the stick you're going to put games on, as long as that stick is at least 128MB in size as the NAND which you need to back up (and should anyway) takes 66MB, and it'll corrupt your stick if you use a 64 megger. And, you won't need to really need the functionality of the MMS unless something goes horribly and I mean HORRIBLY wrong. Same goes for the Pandora battery too.

We have a couple of still-relevant topics here to get you started on modding. As for pricing, if you do it yourself, the price will be the same for both, but remember that if you get a premodded Slim battery, it will only work in the Slim, whereas the phat battery will work in both models (though on the slim you can't use the battery cover).

how do i get a premade/modded Pandora Battery O_O and turning a plain old memory stick to a magical one xD ??

and uhh what's MMS ? and what's NAND O_O ?

teonintyfive

Trophies
Website
ispeelgood.trap17.com
XP
Country
Greece
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=68111 Will answer your questions
biggrin.gif

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a slim PSP too and all the emulators I have tried work fine, with the exception of Dadelus (N64)... GBA runs at full speed in full screen goodness! SNES works well for me too.

If needed, I can post up the emulator pack that I downloaded a couple of months ago. I have modded my slim, a friends slim, and 3 friends phats. Even the phats work with the slim emulator pack if you decide to go the phat way.

You can get the pandora battery from dealextreme for like $10. As for the MMS (Magic Memory Stick), you have to make it. I actually bought one on eBay, so I dunno how to do this.

NAND is the memory that holds the PSP firmware. Phat has 32MB and slim has 64MB. The slims extra nand is used for emulation purposes as well.
smile.gif

On a side note, you can use the component cables to the PSP to make the PSP plays games on a TV or monitor. This is neat if the PSP is your main way for emulation.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
@above: Daedalus R13 runs fine if you use the 1.00 firmware version. (IDK about those other versions though)
Making a MMS is as simple as downloading 2 files and clicking a button.
NAND memory is NOT used for emulation purposes. Normal RAM is.

heliuscc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have two slims and a fat. Fat's are better made, in my opinion, but the slim's the better machine. Latest slims cannot be modded with current pandoras according to reports. I would buy slim, in my opinion.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CorruptJon said:
Just get a slim. Trust me, the pros outweigh the cons.
Explain xD ?

heliuscc said:
I have two slims and a fat. Fat's are better made, in my opinion, but the slim's the better machine. Latest slims cannot be modded with current pandoras according to reports. I would buy slim, in my opinion.
Sure bout that ? cuz at DX the Pandora batteries say you can use them with Phat and Slim .

QUOTE(PharaohsVizier @ Aug 5 2008, 06:41 PM)
Are you planning to buy it new or used? Cuz if you buy used, phats are much cheaper. Retail wise, it is better to go with the slim.
I c that you are from Canada too soo ...
If i get a used PSP Phat where should i get one ? cause if i get a PSP Slim might as well get the ones at Bestbuy but for used Phat ? where ??

=============================

would this pandora battery work with either the slim or phat ?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12472

would the battery cover even cover the battery if i use this with the slim ?
================

BLEH . This magical thingy is soo complicated O_O .

Seyiji

Rawr :3
Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
Rymgart said:
heliuscc said:
Sure bout that ? cuz at DX the Pandora batteries say you can use them with Phat and Slim .

QUOTE(Alek's Blog)
As you might have already seen, there are some mobos (TA-088 ones, slim models) in where the IPL used for Despertar del Cementerio, Pandora and Time Machine therefore, doesn't work.

IPL can be still run from the Memory Stick, but just those that are signed by Sony, and not the ones that contain a different signature; a problem that will probably block the actual way of running your cfw's, as you couldn't even load on this NANDs the custom IPLs with different signature.

Even though, IPL is not the problem, but probably the mixed kernel of 1.50&&3.40, and it will be the best option to use a new kernel on Despertar del Cementerio future versions.

So, to sum up, new Dc version will not be released till the new Core and interface is finished. Please be patient
smile.gif

GDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
The new new psp slim you can't use pandora batteries on it...because it has a new motherboard installed on it.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GDragon said:
QUOTE said:
The new new psp slim you can't use pandora batteries on it...because it has a new motherboard installed on it.

then if i get a slim how am i suppose to modify it ? to be able to use emulators etc . ?

Seyiji

Rawr :3
Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
Rymgart said:
GDragon said:
QUOTE said:

then if i get a slim how am i suppose to modify it ? to be able to use emulators etc . ?
Its luck of the draw really :\

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
grr . so i guess it might be best to buy a PSP Phat off of one of my friends . reliable and you can trust them .

how about the limited edition god of war PSP ? can you use the pandora batteries on that ?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay so i guess God of War and anything that is older with that would work . and im okay with that ^.^

GDragon ~ where you lookin at ? I have like 4 stores to get a PSP from xD but iunno which PSP you are talkin bout .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: That was a hilarious YT K3Nv2 :rofl2: