Which is better PSP Slim or PSP Phat .

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Splych, Aug 5, 2008.

Aug 5, 2008
  1. Splych
    OP

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    Well i might be wanting a PSP to play GBA games and have better video formats etc .

So where should i get it and which one is better ? Maybe a pros and cons list of the 2 PSPs .

And would modding either one have different pricing ?

-Holt

2. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Difficult to make a list as I have only a Slim, but...

The differences between the two are the Slim's naturally lower size, weight, brighter screen, twice as much RAM compared to the phat, and other smaller cosmetic changes and whatnot.

Though, in terms of homebrew, the phat still has the best compatibility due to it being out longer and more people (generally) having it over the Slim. But I've been fine with all emulators that I've tried apart from the SNES one, so that's not saying a whole lot. I'm pretty sure the Slim also has the TV out support though I may be wrong here. It only goes for...hmm..whichever isn't Red/Yellow/White outputs for TVs. I'm not sure how the GBA emu works, but seeing how I have no need for it, I'm useless here too. =P

To mod either, you should really only need a Pandora battery (either premade or modded), and a memory stick you can turn into a Magic Memory Stick to install custom firmware (CFW). You can use the stick you're going to put games on, as long as that stick is at least 128MB in size as the NAND which you need to back up (and should anyway) takes 66MB, and it'll corrupt your stick if you use a 64 megger. And, you won't need to really need the functionality of the MMS unless something goes horribly and I mean HORRIBLY wrong. Same goes for the Pandora battery too.

We have a couple of still-relevant topics here to get you started on modding. As for pricing, if you do it yourself, the price will be the same for both, but remember that if you get a premodded Slim battery, it will only work in the Slim, whereas the phat battery will work in both models (though on the slim you can't use the battery cover).

3. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    how do i get a premade/modded Pandora Battery O_O and turning a plain old memory stick to a magical one xD ??

and uhh what's MMS ? and what's NAND O_O ?

4. teonintyfive

Member teonintyfive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
  5. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have a slim PSP too and all the emulators I have tried work fine, with the exception of Dadelus (N64)... GBA runs at full speed in full screen goodness! SNES works well for me too.

If needed, I can post up the emulator pack that I downloaded a couple of months ago. I have modded my slim, a friends slim, and 3 friends phats. Even the phats work with the slim emulator pack if you decide to go the phat way.

You can get the pandora battery from dealextreme for like $10. As for the MMS (Magic Memory Stick), you have to make it. I actually bought one on eBay, so I dunno how to do this.

NAND is the memory that holds the PSP firmware. Phat has 32MB and slim has 64MB. The slims extra nand is used for emulation purposes as well. [​IMG]

On a side note, you can use the component cables to the PSP to make the PSP plays games on a TV or monitor. This is neat if the PSP is your main way for emulation.

6. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    @above: Daedalus R13 runs fine if you use the 1.00 firmware version. (IDK about those other versions though)
    Making a MMS is as simple as downloading 2 files and clicking a button.
    NAND memory is NOT used for emulation purposes. Normal RAM is.

7. CorruptJon

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
    Just get a slim. Trust me, the pros outweigh the cons.

8. heliuscc

Newcomer heliuscc Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I have two slims and a fat. Fat's are better made, in my opinion, but the slim's the better machine. Latest slims cannot be modded with current pandoras according to reports. I would buy slim, in my opinion.

9. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    I c that you are from Canada too soo ...
    If i get a used PSP Phat where should i get one ? cause if i get a PSP Slim might as well get the ones at Bestbuy but for used Phat ? where ??

=============================

would this pandora battery work with either the slim or phat ?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12472

would the battery cover even cover the battery if i use this with the slim ?
    ================

BLEH . This magical thingy is soo complicated O_O .

10. Seyiji

Member Seyiji Rawr :3

United States

11. GDragon

Member GDragon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The new new psp slim you can't use pandora batteries on it...because it has a new motherboard installed on it.

12. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    then if i get a slim how am i suppose to modify it ? to be able to use emulators etc . ?

13. Seyiji

Member Seyiji Rawr :3

United States
    Its luck of the draw really :\

14. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    grr . so i guess it might be best to buy a PSP Phat off of one of my friends . reliable and you can trust them .

how about the limited edition god of war PSP ? can you use the pandora batteries on that ?

15. pepsibluehawk87

Member pepsibluehawk87 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes, you can. There have only been very few people who couldn't. (I doubt it's because they REALLY couldn't, but just didn't know how)

16. GDragon

Member GDragon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Theres not a lot of psps left, took me like 5 stores to find one..

17. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    Okay so i guess God of War and anything that is older with that would work . and im okay with that ^.^

GDragon ~ where you lookin at ? I have like 4 stores to get a PSP from xD but iunno which PSP you are talkin bout .