Which has better 3d: 3ds or PS3?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Nathan576, Jul 27, 2011.

Jul 27, 2011
  1. Nathan576
    OP

Newcomer Nathan576 Advanced Member

United States
    Assuming a good 3dtv is being used with the ps3, which one would have better looking 3d games? 3d ps3 or 3ds? I've never used a ps3 with 3d and I've only tried a 3dtv at a store for a couple a mins. How are they different?

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Well, the 3DS one is adjustable.

3. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    PS3, but only because the 3D is on a bigger screen.

3DS, but only because you don't need to wear glasses to view it.

I'm pretty sure the 3D effect is the same.

For some reason I assume that the 3Dtv ones were adjustable.

4. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    they both have thier pros and cons as KingVamp has mentioned, although to get the full 3d experience on the ps3 would cost you a LOT of money.

5. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    I assume a PS3 would be a more comfortable experience because of the size of the screen and the fact that is isn't moving around with your hands. I make myself sick from going in and out of the 3D zone with my 3DS.

6. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Hmm, that's actually a really good question.

In terms of accessibility, as well as actual functionality, the 3DS wins. No glasses as well as portability makes it more likely you're gonna use it. Being adjustable is also great. However, the sweet spot is an issue, as well as the fact that it moves when you play (unless you can stay still like some people, for example me).

However, the 3D for the PS3 is generally... stronger? I think it depends on the TV. Also, it probably causes less strain.

7. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I feel the same way, unfortunately.
    I do understand that glasses-free is the only way to go with a portable, though. You can't expect people to be walking around in public with nerdy sci-fi looking glasses.

8. phantastic91

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have a 3dtv but only tried some 3d ps3 games. call of duty 3d looks nice and mortal kombat looks OK, not that great. but the 3d demos like stardust looks incredible!. and no, i dont find the 3d experience the same. hd resolution makes 3d soooooooo much better. screen size makes it more immersive. the worst thing about 3dtv is just the glasses. its not uncomfortable for me, it's just because it darkens the tv! however, there are new glasses out there that are brighter and also passive glasses are brighter too (i have active glasses).

plus, i have never ran into ghosting on the ps3 3d games. It depends on the TV though. I have a plasma and the 3d is overall much better than the 3ds. plus i can enjoy the 3d at any angle. So far, Under the Sea 3d, and Sammy's adventure has given me the best 3d experience ever. Under the sea looked so god damn real and there were moments where the fishes come out of the screen. and the depth is phenominal. it was as if i am seeing the fishes in real life. although i sound excited writing this, i still think 3dtv's are not worth it lol. however, if you in the market for a new tv, the 3d option is just an extra 200 bucks in some of the cases--at least last year when i was buying mine. for my plasma, there was two option---the same tv with or without 3d and the difference in price was just two hundred.

edit: i should probably say that its hard to play cod in 3d because the screen is darker and all of the action going on hurts my eyes

9. DxEggman

Member DxEggman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have a -13 prescription, so I've been walking around like that for a long ass time already. [​IMG]

10. Nathan576
    OP

Newcomer Nathan576 Advanced Member

United States
    I can't wait until 3dtv's are good though, they are too new right now for me to buy one. Maybe in a few years I'll look into one.

11. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    The point of entry for 3D is pretty much fixed with the Nintendo 3DS as opposed to the PlayStation3. First and foremost, the 3D is already built-in, and is a function of the handheld's hardware, so developers don't really have to think about it much in order to enable 3D for 3DS games for players.

With the ps3, you have to go buy a good 3D-capable TV - already a significant investment there. Second is a high-speed HDMI cable to handle the extra load. Third, they all need you to be wearing glasses, so there's that added cost. Some TV's now are coming with passive shutter capability, which allows much cheaper glasses to be used that don't need batteries, much like those that you get when you watch a 3D movie at a theater. But these are few and far between, when the average active shutter glasses for a given TV can cost up to ~$400 USD per pair. And obviously, everyone watching the 3D footage needs their own pair.

Finally, one of the things that is a gripe and why I resent their current ad campaign for the console, is that for all the hype about the ps3 being a "Full HD console", is that - while it's already hard enough for most games to come out supporting 1080p to begin with, using 3D limits you to 720p for games... On top of this, 3D BluRay movies on a PS3 are limited in what audio codecs it will output the resulting sound in. So, all the higher quality master audio tracks will go to waste when watching 3D Movies on a ps3, or you have to deal with it outputting at a lower resolution in order for it to actually play.

Finally, for me personally, glasses-requiring 3D gives me a headache, while I just don't seem to have that problem when viewing 3D on the 3DS. So, yea...

12. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    I prefer 3DS 3D why? Only possible reason I can give is that I've never tried PS3 3D, not bothered.

13. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    To me their not compairable (i miss my spell check :c) for a couple of reasons
    1. Not the same type of 3D (stereo and umm...traditional?)
    2. Different graphics (HD and... I dont know ps2/psp graphics)
    3. Cost (Roughly around 1100$ just to play killzone 3 and black ops in 3D vs. 250$ to play the whole library in 3D.

14. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    To me these two are not really comparable...